PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever taken older DC to hospital in labor?

basil
05-09-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm 39 weeks this weekend. My mom was supposed to arrive on Monday from out of state, but my grandmother just fell and is in the hospital and she may be needed there. Our good friends in town are on vacation this coming week. I'm kind of freaking out!

abh5e8
05-09-2014, 10:58 AM
not personally, but when i worked on an OB/L&D ward, I attended quite a few births with older siblings present. sometimes they were right in the room and sometimes they waited in the waiting room. deep breath....it will be ok!!!

Melaine
05-09-2014, 11:56 AM
The girls came along for several early trips when I was admitted and monitored. I am NOT ok with having kids in for birth personally but during early labor it was not a problem and they found it very exciting. they were 5 at the time.

basil
05-09-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm not ok with it either, especially since DS is only 2.5, he'd be freaked out I think. Only option would be DH would have to sit with him in the waiting room and then DH would miss the birth :(

Piglet
05-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Is there a babysitter or someone that DS knows you can ask? If that person meets you at the hospital and walks around with DS, it would be better than having DH occupied!

basil
05-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Is there a babysitter or someone that DS knows you can ask? If that person meets you at the hospital and walks around with DS, it would be better than having DH occupied!

Not really! We have an occasional babysitter but she works during the day so usually is only available evenings/weekends...Agh!

brittone2
05-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Our situation was different, but perhaps applicable. When I had DD, we were at a FSBC. DS1 had never been away from us overnight, and was just under 3 yo. My parents came along to hang out with him in the common area, and then all 3 of them came in after DD arrived (quick birth, i wasn't there that long). He still remembers some of it, like being in the room for her hearing test. We all went home a few hrs later.

With my DS2, we had a homebirth. I went into labor overnight, and the kids were in bed. My parents came over, there was a CNM, and a nurse who was finishing up her CNM working as an assistant at the birth. My parents were there to care for the kids. We had prepped beforehand, watched some births, etc. I let them know they were welcome to be there, or hang out elsewhere, or the grandparents could take them outside or head out somewhere. They wanted to be there, but I made sure they knew they had options. When I knew things were getting close, DH woke them, and both were there for the birth. It was a great experience, they were not scared, and they remember it fondly. That's a very different situation than your own though I think, especially with a 2.5 yo and a hospital birth.

With a 2.5 yo I would want to have a caregiver devoted solely to the child if at all possible.

Neighbor? Call a doula and see if they know someone? Close friend? Preschool friend?

mmsmom
05-09-2014, 03:34 PM
I think you really need to try to find someone for your DS unless you are OK with DH not being in the room. If there is any kind of complication DS would have to leave. Also check hospital policy... They may not allow it anyway. Another option would be to see if you can find a Doula to be with you so DH can be with DS. Hopefully your mom can get there & you won't have to worry! I'm sorry you are having this added stress.

Piglet
05-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Are there any other relatives you can call in?

Tondi G
05-09-2014, 08:35 PM
Do you have any other family near by or that could come out? An aunt, sister, cousin?? I would call your occasional babysitter and explain the situation. I have a feeling she might be willing to be your back up care giver so that your DH can be present at the birth and your child would be cared for by someone he knows and you trust. I hope your Mom can find a way to make it out and that the baby stays put till you have coverage for your 2.5 yr old.

Carlasmom
06-02-2014, 04:21 PM
Our then 2-year-old DD was with us when DS1 was born. We had just moved to a different state two months prior and had no family nearby. I didn't feel comfortable leaving her with anyone so we simply took her with us when I went into labor.

She was completely unfazed by the whole process. Luckily, the baby was born within an hour after we got to the hospital. I love the fact that our daughter was with is when her brother was born.

Can your older child be distracted with an iPad? Don't worry too much. If you need to bring your older child he'll be fine!

basil
06-08-2014, 02:10 PM
I guess I should update this since it's hanging around for a while.

My mom ended up arriving on my due date at 9 pm. My water broke at 5 am the next morning, and DD was born 6 hours later. Talk about cutting it close! But it all worked out.

vludmilla
06-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Congratulations on your new baby! Glad it worked out!