PDA

View Full Version : Update on FastDiet (intermittent fasting)

Melaine
05-10-2014, 10:02 AM
this is my 6th week on this diet and I am really really pleased with it. I have lost about 5 or 6 lbs, which doesn't sound terribly dramatic but these are "those last 10 lbs" that are so hard to lose. PLUS I am on my third month of a new SSRI which was causing steady weight gain. So I am very pleased with these results. As far as diets go, this has got to be the easiest plan IN the world to follow and stick with it. monday and thursday are my low cal days (500 or less). I do not dread these days, often I feel happy to give my body a rest. After the first 2 weeks, I have actually found it easy to just save all my calories until dinner. I have no problem going all day without eating (I still have my coffee with 1 tbls low cal creamer) then eat a fairly normal dinner and am pretty satisfied. During this diet we have had Easter, two family birthdays (one costco cake that DH I kept eating and eating) and some school events. I have eaten out, grabbed fast food, etc (so no limits on non fast days). Also, you can pick any days to "fast" so I avoid girls' night, date night, parties, weekends, etc. Honestly, it's like a dream of a diet. even if I get an irresistible craving, I just remind myself I can have it tomorrow. There is no guilt because I haven't cheated ever. I can do anything for one day, YKWIM? I feel in control and as A result it is easier to make healthier choices on other days as well. I love this.

http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Diet-intermittent-fasting-healthy-ebook/dp/B00ALYY6ZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399729803&sr=8-1&keywords=fastdiet

ray7694
05-10-2014, 09:22 PM
How many calories do you get the other days?

Melaine
05-11-2014, 04:38 AM
How many calories do you get the other days?

You don't count or limit on the other days. I eat pretty much whatever I want with just the normal amount of discretion because I do have a health conscience. ;-)

KrisM
05-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Good job!

I've never heard of this. I've never tried a 'diet' other than cutting back on what I eat and exercising more. I wonder if I could do this one.

elektra
05-12-2014, 12:40 PM
Very interesting. I am not sure I could do the 500 or less 2x/week though, at least going all day and only eating dinner. But I kind of want to try now! Are you exercising too? Do you just skip the exercise on those days?
Congrats on the weight loss!

okinawama
05-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Do you work out on the low cal days or the days when you're eating a large chunk of your calories at dinner?

Melaine
05-12-2014, 02:18 PM
I don't work out right now....haven't since DS. (horrible, I know.) But when i was in a good workout routine I prefer working out before breakfast anyway, so I am not sure it would really be a problem. I actually find when I am super busy and active it is even easier to skip food, and don't find myself low on energy these days at all. I don't think the book recommends saving all calories for dinner, it has just become easy for me. FOr the first couple weeks on my low cal days I would eat two eggs, coffee with 1 tbls low cal creamer for breakfast and then a big salad with some chicken and fruit for dinner. Other things I have done is soup, cup of yogurt, small steak. A cup of chili at wendys is 180...(small size) and large is not too bad either. I keep some frozen treats, some low cal hot dogs and some sugar free jello just incase I need it. This is also the only time I indulge in a diet coke.

Melaine
05-12-2014, 02:19 PM
The book includes many examples of studies proving the health benefits of short term fasting, which I found very interesting!

hellokitty
05-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Melaine, do you have a good link that you can recommend, that explains how this works? I'm starting a new job soon, and don't have time to read the book. Thanks, btw, I'm happy that it is working well for you!

nfowife
05-12-2014, 07:11 PM
The amazon reviews have some good explanations of the plan. I am waiting for it from the library but started today with the fast. I am probably about 100 calories over today because I miscounted something. But I did my normal workout this morning which is 90 minutes and according to my heart rate monitor burns over 600 calories. It hasn't been horrible but I was hungry midday. I do better skipping breakfast and waiting as long as possible to eat. I had a banana and a 90 cal yogurt at lunch and then for dinner 3 aidells chicken meatballs with about 2 TBSP of homemade tomato sauce, a tiny piece of a baguette with a smear of butter, and some cut up strawberry pieces. I drank a bunch of crystal light as well. I'm not starving now and knowing I can eat tomorrow is helping! I would really like to lose 20 lbs so we will see!

KDsMommy
05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
I did this last year and lost about 30lbs. I love it! I'm pregnant now so obviously can't fast, but I will definitely do it again when I'm done BF'ing.

melwe
05-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Thanks for posting. I tried a fasting day today. I'll need to check my calories, but I think I did pretty well today. I think it will work well on my super busy work days. I ate a smaller portion breakfast, small cup of soup for lunch, and snacked on apple slices thought the afternoon/evening.

Any idea on how easy it is to gain weight back? I would guess it's like any other "diet."

nfowife
05-13-2014, 06:37 AM
melwe- when you reach your "goal" you are supposed to go down to 1 fast day a week. If you start gaining, go back to 2. So you never go back to normal eating 7 days a week....

Melaine
05-13-2014, 06:38 AM
I will look for a link that details the plan.

In the book one of the author's moved from two days of fasting to one for maintanence mode. But I honestly think this is something I wouldn't mind continuing, particularly from a health standpoint. giving your body a rest from eating is supposed to help your cells repair or something like that.

I did forget to mention that the fast days should begin the evening before, so you aren't supposed to have any crazy desserts or snacking after dinner that night. i haven't been terribly careful about that but I at least try to wrap up the eating by 8pm.

KrisM
05-13-2014, 07:09 AM
I was searching and found this site: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-to-do-the-diet/. Does that look about right?

zukeypur
05-13-2014, 07:58 AM
There was a program about this diet last year on PBS. It was very interesting. DH and I tried it for a while, but due to his diabetes he just couldn't do it. I have about 5 lbs that I would love to get off, so I might give it another go.

daisysmom
05-13-2014, 08:26 AM
I am going to give this a try. I read the Amazon reviews last night and they did pretty much outline how simple the plan is. I need to do something... I am having a tough time at 45 years old losing the 5 lbs that I gained over the holidays. I find that unless I truly cut out 95% of sugars and starchy carbs, I can't lose weight. And for some reason, while I have done it before, I cannot seem to cut down the sugars and starchy carbs this time - emotional eating is my problem. I think I am squarely in peri-menapause and ALL of my friends IRL who have gone through menapause have advised me to lose the weight now as it is REALLY hard to lose it later in the 40s. So I think I am giving this a go. Maybe we should start a little group amongst us to compare notes on Fast days? (I am going to do it today, but would like to do Mon and Thurs - as those appear to be very popular based on the Amazon reviews).

amm40
05-13-2014, 08:37 AM
I tried, but the fasting triggered a migraine attack around lunchtime. Anyone know if there is a way to make this work with migraine?

Melaine
05-13-2014, 09:49 AM
I was searching and found this site: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-to-do-the-diet/. Does that look about right?

That's it!

daisysmom
05-13-2014, 01:27 PM
I skimmed the book this morning and it is a very quick read - so am not going to buy it. I started the program today and had coffee, some smoked salmon and an egg for breakfast. Used MFP though logging it in and (admitting to the cream in my coffee and the coconut oil for making the egg), as well as a cup of Miso soup for lunch, and I have used 322 calories. When I do this again on Thurs, I think I am going to try to skip lunch. I looked through the website above too, found a few good threads for newbies. The general consensus seems to be 500 calories on your fast day from when you wake up and when you go to bed, and some split it up throughout the day and others try to not eat until tea time :) or dinner. Melaine, thanks for starting this - you totally posted it at just the right time for me and I appreciate it!

hellokitty
05-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Kris, thanks for the link, looking at it now.

KDsMommy
05-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Here is a link to a very well-done BBC documentary with Michael Mosley regarding the benefits of intermittant fasting: http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/

It's almost an hour long, but extremely informative.

ExcitedMamma
05-13-2014, 02:25 PM
For those of you who have tried this how quickly did you start losing weight? Did you change your diet on non-fast days?
I'm trying it today and wondering how quickly results start which would help me stick to it. Thanks!

zukeypur
05-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Here is a link to a very well-done BBC documentary with Michael Mosley regarding the benefits of intermittant fasting: http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/

It's almost an hour long, but extremely informative.
THIS! This is what I saw on PBS. Fantastic.

daisysmom
05-13-2014, 03:30 PM
I watched that - it is incredibly well done. I will say that part of me is always jealous though, as men seem to lose faster (and sometimes I think those that do have dreadful eating habits before). But all we can do is try, right? Those that have less to lose and who already eat healthy 85% of the time will have a slower loss (i guess).

hellokitty
05-14-2014, 03:04 PM
I watched the documentary today and really liked it. So is 2/5 the typical fasting day ratio? I feel like it's doable (compared to the 4 day fast he did at the beginning of the documentary, I would not want to do that, lol), esp on days where I work, I don't have to take a lunch break, lol.

mmsmom
05-14-2014, 03:33 PM
I posted this before but here is the transcript to a show Diane Rehm did on NPR w/ the books author & some others. She lost 20+ pounds by fasting & on the show admits she cheats by having 2 glasses of champagne w/ dinner on fasting days (love her!) but she still lost weight.
http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2014-01-09/latest-research-intermittent-fasting-0/transcript

daisysmom
05-14-2014, 07:36 PM
I started yesterday and fasted. It was nit as hard as I thought it would be. I had and egg and piece of sausage and coffee for breakfast, miso soup for lunch, and lots of veggies snd chicken for dinner. I was not hungry after dinner at all. Tough time was from 3-5 or so. I drank a lot if crystal light. I am doing to tomorrow and then getting on am on - thurs routine.

mikala
05-14-2014, 11:28 PM
For those of you home with kids, how do you explain your fasting days? I'm a sahm and I always sit down for meals with my kids. My 4yo would ask a gazillion questions if I didn't eat or ate something significantly different. A simple "I'm not very hungry" wouldn't satisfy him.

nfowife
05-15-2014, 07:08 AM
My kids didn't really question me Monday- we only eat dinner together as a family and I had some of dinner. Today is fast #2 and I have a tennis class tonight so we wouldn't eat together anyhow. DD2 eats lunch with me every day but we don't eat the same stuff and she generally wouldn't notice.

daisysmom
05-15-2014, 10:33 AM
For those of you home with kids, how do you explain your fasting days? I'm a sahm and I always sit down for meals with my kids. My 4yo would ask a gazillion questions if I didn't eat or ate something significantly different. A simple "I'm not very hungry" wouldn't satisfy him.

I worried about this a little too - I have a 7 year old DD and she had to take prednisone last year and put on about 6-8 lbs very fast, and was very self conscious that some of her clothes were uncomfortable-tight. She then lost about 10 lbs (the prednisone weight plus another few) and the doctor remarked about it since we were concerned about bloodwork results for another possible illness. All this is to say, we have spent a lot of energy talking about healthy eating and moderation with her but I can tell she is much more body conscious than before the prednisone experience. So I didn't want to add any fuel to the fire by letting on that I was dieting.

So my breakfasts have been normal (what she sees before) which is 2 eggs and coffeee. For dinner, I picked a lowfat meat (lean turkey sausage) and tons of green beans and some berries. I let her have a favorite food (chicken nuggets- Perdue) which I never eat so she was not surprised that we were eating different meals at all. That is probably par for our course - she knows that I eat more berries, more salads, etc. than she does, and that I don't eat rolls, pasta, so that's not new. I would purposefully not pick a fasting day when she is home during lunch or a weekend day, as we often have icecream for dessert on weekends.

nfowife
05-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Today was fast day #2. I mean, I'm hungry but I can certainly wait until morning. AF showed up this morning so I felt like garbage today and didn't get to the gym (but did do a tennis class tonight). Today I ate a nothing at breakfast, a yoplait light with 7 oz of cucumbers and 1 TBSP of ranch at lunch, and a chicken burger (packaged) with another helping of cucumbers and ranch for dinner. 500 calories goes pretty quickly!

kristenk
05-15-2014, 09:15 PM
I hope you guys keep this thread going until I can join in! I'm dealing with a sinus infection now and want a few more days to recover before I give fasting a try.

So don't stop! And keep replying to the thread!

Melaine
05-15-2014, 09:23 PM
well today was my fast day but last night I was up all night with a stomach bug so i barely ate anything anyway.

melwe
05-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the link on the documentary. It was very informative. It was good that they explained that hunger comes in waves. It doesn't build on itself and I find that it passes.

Fast day #2 for me. A little bit harder than the first day. I was pretty hungry at times, but I was also not as busy at work.

In regards to the kids, I am doing this on my 12 hour work days, so I don't eat meals with my kids those days. This type of eating certainly does fit into my schedule nicely, which is why I'm giving it a try. I'm really not a fad dieter type of person, but the science behind it intrigues me. Previously when I needed to lose weight, I used WW but just can't seem to get back into it.

KrisM
05-15-2014, 10:24 PM
I did Monday and now today for fast days. It's not as hard, except for eating dinner with the family. I need to plan better on those days. I'd rather just eat something different, but that doesn't work. I'll keep trying Monday/Thursday and just plan better.

When my kids are home, we don't eat the same lunches, so that isn't an issue. Even when they were younger, we ate different things. But, I do see dinner as an issue.

nfowife
05-16-2014, 11:11 AM
I am also noticing I am not as hungry at all and getting full faster on "feast" days.

cilantromapuche
05-16-2014, 11:40 AM
I tried this week but was surrounded by food at work and couldn't do it. I am going to try again next week. If I am home I have better control but at work people are always bringing in food. tasty treats from wegmans and I am a goner.

Melaine
05-16-2014, 11:46 AM
I tried this week but was surrounded by food at work and couldn't do it. I am going to try again next week. If I am home I have better control but at work people are always bringing in food. tasty treats from wegmans and I am a goner.

I am the opposite....I am a closet eater. Socially I have no trouble saying no.

cilantromapuche
05-16-2014, 01:22 PM
I am the opposite....I am a closet eater. Socially I have no trouble saying no.

Well, I have that problem too...I am going to shoot for next week, Monday and Wednesday.

baymom
05-16-2014, 03:39 PM
I'm so excited about this!! I actually have two coworkers who did IF very successfully last year and are now do just one day a week. Another coworker and I started this week. I haven't watched the link yet (want to watch with DH) but just got the book.

So, my first fast day was Wednesday and I did get hungry, but it wasn't terrible. It's reassuring to know you can eat whatever you want the next day! But, I spread my calories out and now I read in the book, it's best if you don't. I was planning to do Wednesday and Mondays. But, may switch to Mon and Thurs. I'm assuming that as long as you do two days a week, it's okay to switch the days once in a while? This tread (thank you, OP!) and the Amazon reviews have been very inspiring!

nfowife
05-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Starting week 2 with fast today. Will weigh in tomorrow morning and see how it's gone!

daisysmom
05-19-2014, 12:07 PM
I am also on week 2 fast today too. I dropped 3 lbs last week (weighing at my low... bet I bounced up wiht some pizza and icecream this weekend). Today I had 2 small hardboile eggs this morning and am having miso soup now. Basically I try to have a smallish/protein and veggie only dinner. I will do it M and W this week b/c I have a party to go to Thurs. night. Next week doing T and Th b/c want to do Memorial Day picnic. Am happy with this flexability!

baymom
05-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Nfowife--good luck!! I just started last week, too. Today is my first fast day of the week and so far, so good. I had the tiniest serving of granola with a splash of milk for breakfast, for 200 calories. I splurged so much over the weekend, it feels good (so far!) to fast today. Anyone else fasting today?

baymom
05-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Daisysmom--wow! Congrats on your awesome results so far!! I started late in the week, last week. So even though it's technically my second week on IF, I only fasted one day last week. It's my second fast day, today. I'm most excited about getting DH to read the book with me and wanting to try this, too. I think it'll be a lot easier and more fun if we are both doing it together. Plus, having BBB friends to keep me motivated, too!

nfowife
05-19-2014, 12:17 PM
I weighed myself Friday morning after the 2nd day of fasting and I was down almost 4 lbs. But then was back up 1.5 over the weekend when not fasting. So I will see what the scale says tomorrow when it's officially been a week between weigh-ins. Even 2 lbs. would be great and awesome!
Go daisysmom!

Melaine
05-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Cool! Fun to have so many joining in. The social aspect is what I miss from MVP even though this is so much easier. Today is my fast day, so just my 2 tbls of creamer for 30 calories so far. Getting a little hungry but probably my main issue is haven't had enough water. I am wondering if fasting could be helping my period.....this is the least crampy I have been in a very long time for the first couple days of AF. Maybe a fluke though.

nfowife
05-20-2014, 06:38 AM
Down 3.2 in week 1! Yesterday was a hard day for fasting. I don't know if it was from doing a longer workout in the morning, but by the evening I was HUNGRY. Made it, but the thought crossed my mind to just eat something for sure!
My AF was also last week (started Thursday, fast day #2) and it has definitely been shorter and lighter this time.

Melaine
05-20-2014, 07:10 AM
I don't know if I have ever gone through several days of AF without tons of ibuprophen, and I have't taken one dose. I can't think of anything else that has been different other than fasting. If this helps, that would be awesome!

ExcitedMamma
05-20-2014, 10:16 AM
This is week 2 for me and AF this week. My weight today is higher than the beginning of last week before I did the IF which I'm bummed about. Does AF cause a big increase for anyone else? It went down overall last week.

daisysmom
05-21-2014, 01:09 PM
I am starting AF in another day or 2 and I am curious if I have an easier time (AF at 45 is pretty dreadful).
I am doing my second fast day today this week b/c have a big party tomorrow night. Interestingly, I was thinking that I may skip a second fast this week but when I woke up this morning, I really wanted to do it. I really am looking forward to the fast days, as odd as that sounds. I had a work dinner last night and didn't exactly eat healthy, but feel really good today so far.

hellokitty
05-23-2014, 07:43 PM
I tried my first day of fasting today with 500 calories. It's been harder than I thought it would be. DS3 has been testing me over EVERY little thing today and I have been grouchier than usual, b/c I've been hungry. Our library had the book, so I put it on hold ad picked it up today. I agree with whoever mentioned that it is a quick read. Half of the book is made up of menus/recipes/calorie grids, etc.. Anyway, now that I have been through one day, I think that knowing what to expect will make it easier. It didn't help that this afternoon, I wasn't that busy, so of course, I kept thinking about food, lol.

baymom
05-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Great job, Hellokitty!!! I just did day 3 yesterday. I was a bit cranky my first 2 days and finally on day 3, not cranky. :-). I think you're right, it definitely does get easier!

daisysmom
05-23-2014, 08:56 PM
I find it really hard unless I am pretty busy. The Friday before a holiday weekend would have been hard for me to do honestly. Mondays (but not a holiday Monday) are ideal for me. And I still have to go to bed early. I actually find skipping lunch pretty easy but at 8 pm I need to be far from the pantry.

kristenk
05-23-2014, 09:13 PM
Just took my last dose of antibiotics. Hoping to get the book over the weekend so I can get started next week!

KrisM
05-23-2014, 09:27 PM
I have done 4 fast days. So far, so good. Yesterday was the hardest. I was doing fine until I mowed the lawn about 2pm. It wore me out and was really hard. Note to self - don't mow on a fast day!

I also decided not to get hung up on the weight, so I'm waiting until Monday, which is the start of week 3, to weigh myself.

KrisM
05-26-2014, 09:02 AM
Weighed in today and have lost 1 lb after 2 weeks of this. I was really hoping it would be more than that. I have about 40 to lose, so at .5 lbs a week, it's going to take an awfully long time! Better than nothing though.

daisysmom
05-28-2014, 11:07 AM
KrisM keep it up - you may be someone who loses "in clumps" like me ... so one day I will be down just a smudge and then all of the sudden I will lose a "clump" -- instead of losing the same gradually. Our bodies really do compensate with metabolism, so I don't think gradual reductions are always evident.
I felt like I lost a lot the first week on this, but I gained it back with a celebratory weekend. I am trying to cut back a little more on my non-fast days and see what that does. Fast days are honestly pretty easy for me as long as I get one zero cal vitamin water in mid-morning and then some crystal light midafternoon. I sure feel much better the day after a fast day too! Let's stick to it and see if we see the results we read about!

KrisM
05-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks. I did another fast day yesterday and it went okay. I'd be happy with a pound a week. Half a pound was a bummer! I am hoping it gets easier to fast, but I worry that once school is out, it'll be a lot harder with the kids here all the time.

hellokitty
05-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Kris, a lb is still a lb! Good work, I have at least 30-40 lbs to lose too . I did my second fast day yesterday and did great. I do get grouchy in the early afternoon though. Planning to do another fast day 3 on friday. I'm still afraid to re-injure my knee again, but have been doing some walking. I'm hoping to lose wt mostly by diet alone. I am noticing though, that even on my non-fast days, I'm snacking less in btwn meals, which is good.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

KrisM
05-29-2014, 06:11 AM
I decided to weigh daily this week. Tues was the same as Monday and Tuesday was a fast day. Wednesday, after the fast, I was down 3. Today, I'm back to where I was on Monday. Second fast is tomorrow.

Melaine
05-29-2014, 07:07 AM
I think a pound is pretty good....especially if you consider the time you have devoted to dieting (4 days instead of 2 weeks ykwim). If you want to speed up your progress you could always add something else like cutting out evening snacking, or you could add a window eating day. My friend is eating ONLY within a four hour window and having results that way. No limits within the window, no counting, just fasting for the other 20 hours each day. So you could try doing one day like that in addition to your other two days. But I am finding this is so easy and sustainable it doesn't bother me that the loss isn't quick. I feel like I could do this forever.

KrisM
05-29-2014, 07:28 AM
I was hoping for 1 lb/week, really. Especially since many places say the first weeks you lose more and then it slows down. I'm hoping to keep up with it even with very little change and nothing really noticeable for a few months.

daisysmom
05-29-2014, 10:33 AM
But I am finding this is so easy and sustainable it doesn't bother me that the loss isn't quick. I feel like I could do this forever.

Let's share how we are doing our fasting days... because tips might help. For me, I am trying not to eat after dinner the night before (not so good on this last night), then having 2 hard boiled eggs, broth or miso soup for lunch, and then a "normalish" dinner without starches or dessert. The first fast day I counted calories and was at 620 I think. I am wondering if I have slipped and am eating more at dinner so I am going to try harder today to stick to it. Others? On the 5:2 facebook page there are a bunch of people that eat nothing b/t dinner the day before and dinner that day. I don't think I could really easily do nothing for 24 hours.

KrisM
05-29-2014, 10:42 AM
So far, I eat dinner on a regular day. Then, nothing but water until about 1pm and I have a small lunch, maybe a couple eggs. Dinner about 5:30 and then done for the day. I've been between 480 and 530 calories so far. I try to make dinner the same as everyone else as much as possible.

baymom
05-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Today is a fast day, for me. It's my 5th one. I did try to skip breakfast and wait for lunch, but found that since I'm used to eating breakfast, by the time I ate lunch, the 200 calorie "lunch" didn't feel satiating at all. So, now I'm having a 200 calorie 'brunch' instead--a Kind bar. I drink coffee (with a splash of soy milk) and cups and cups of green tea all day. I find that doing it this way tricks me into feeling full, more. Since I leave work at 2pm to pick the kids up from school/drive them to activities/do homework/make dinner/ect., I am distracted and feel okay until 5-6pm when I have egg whites and veggies for dinner.

I did read that it's supposed to be better to have as long a fast period as possible, but haven't been able to adjust to that yet, without being super cranky. Right now, I'm just proud of myself for limiting myself to 500 calories--which I think I've done pretty well. About the weight loss.... I've lost just over 4 pounds, but that's still in my 'normal range' of weight fluctuation, so it's not really that exciting yet. I would like to loose about 10-15 pounds... BUT, my DH is doing this with me and the fasting seems to have helped his blood pressure (as well as weight loss), which we are so excited about. It's one of the benefits they talked about in the book. He had borderline high bp and gets it checked every 3 months by the doctor (but we check it as home, too) and when he went in yesterday, it had dropped a lot. He's lost 8 pounds, but then it seems easier for men to loose weight anyway....

A few of the PP have said that it's not been too hard for them to fast and while I've had a couple days like that, I'm still finding myself to be 'starving' by 7pm. Still waiting for it to get easier!

Melaine
05-29-2014, 01:40 PM
baymom, that is so awesome about your DH's BP!

I have just realized for me that eating a small breakfast or even lunch just seems to remind me that I am hungry. I find myself more hungry an hour later. So just going straight through to dinner seems to work better for me. I have not been great about limiting evening snacking the night before. Last night I ate some cereal about 8. Today I have just had my coffee with 20 cal creamer. I think I may go make an iced coffee because I am getting hungry. I was going to make fajitas but I hate cooking on these days so I think I will go get chili from Wendy's. The kids love it and it is actually BOGO at our restaurant this week. Tuesday night I had lightly breaded catfish filet, green beans and strawberries. Other nights I do eggs, TJ's red pepper tomato soup, low cal hot dog, or chicken on salad.

aa2mama
05-29-2014, 09:50 PM
This thread inspired me to read the book and try intermittent fasting. My weight has crept up 8lbs in the last 4mos, and I would like to undo that. I have done 3 fast days. While they haven't been easy, they haven't been nearly as difficult as I expected.

My strategy is to delay breakfast until about 10:45am and then have dinner early evening. Breakfast while at work is a Kind bar and a small apple or 1/2 c cottage cheese mixed with a tube of gogurt and 1 c berries. On the weekends I like scrambled eggs with spinach & tomatoes or salsa.

My fallback dinner is tortilla crusted tilapia (from Costco) and a small baked sweet potato sprinkled with cinnamon. I also have done salads with a tuna or salmon packet or hardboiled eggs and balsamic vinegar along with steamed broccoli with a splash of soy sauce.

I drink lots of black coffee during the day (normally I have it with cream).

I don't know if this positive side effect will stick, but for the past few years I've had sporadic IBS-like symptoms. I've tried cutting gluten, dairy and sugar substitutes and added high doses of probiotics but haven't completely gotten rid of the symptoms. Since starting 5:2 I haven't had a single bad day, so I'm really hopeful that this is helping my digestive system!

melwe
05-29-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm still sticking to my fasting days pretty well at work. I have to eat something for breakfast, even if it's really small. My main "hungry" time is lunch/early afternoon and then usually do okay to skip dinner. This is just kind of how I am - I know it doesn't work for most people.

What is working best for me is a VitaMuffin for breakfast. I try to make it later, like around 9, but eat it whenever is needed. Lunch is cup of soup, usually broth based, 1/2 of turkey sandwich or salad, and an apple. Sometimes I save some calories for before bed, so I don't have to fall asleep hungry.

So far, I've only lost 2 pounds, but I really have not been "dieting" on my non-fast days. We go out to eat, have had birthday parties, etc. I really like that I only have to focus on what I eat for two days. Last time I lost weight, I did Weight Watchers and I had to think about food ALL the time: what I had eaten and what I was going to eat that day and rest of week. I nearly panicked when I was going out to eat and now I can enjoy it.

KrisM
05-30-2014, 07:23 AM
I'm glad it's going well for so many!

Are any of you counting calories on all days? I've been doing that this week to see where I am and it's right about 1900-2100 each day, which is what the TDEE says I should be. I dislike counting calories daily though, so am not sure I can continue that.

Today, Friday, is my 2nd fast day this week. I'm back to my mid-May starting weight this morning. At least I know it'll be down 1-2 lbs tomorrow morning :).

MSWR0319
05-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Interesting thred! I think I will be joining you guys soon. I just tried to put on shorts from last year and let's just say they didn't quite fit. I just got diagnosed with low thyroid a few months ago and I think my weight has crept up because of that (and maybe I"m snacking too much ;) ). I need to do something. I'm not good at not eating though, so we'll see how this goes.

hellokitty
05-30-2014, 10:49 AM
I'm on my 3rd fast day. I'm figuring out a, "formula" for myself for fast days. I figure you keep it simple, so that it's not a PITA to have to figure out what to eat, kwim? I'll probably tweak my, "fast day menu," until it seems to be the right fit. For bkfst, I have a large mug of black coffee and one hardboiled egg. I drink a lot of water in the mornings, and find that it helps. For lunch I'll probably have a low fat string cheese and a piece of fruit. For dinner, I make a romaine salad mixed with 1 TBSP of EVOO/balsamic vinegar dressing, might add in a few extra veggies that I have on hand and then 1/2 c of shredded chicken breast, and that is it. I find that the, "big" salad for dinner, really makes me feel more full, even though most of it is empty calories. I also like to drink some ice tea or hot tea in the afternoon too, to tide me over. I used MFP the first two days to count calories and it is right around 500, so I don't think I am going to sit there and be anal about counting calories on my fast days anymore, unless I'm introducing new foods that I've never eating on fast days.

ExcitedMamma
05-30-2014, 11:32 AM
I just finished week three and I seem to be fluctuating up or down by about five pounds depending on what day it is, so lower after fasting and higher after eating again. For those of you who have been successful on this is this how you started? Will the lows start getting lower so you are actually losing real pounds?

Melaine
05-30-2014, 01:57 PM
I just finished week three and I seem to be fluctuating up or down by about five pounds depending on what day it is, so lower after fasting and higher after eating again. For those of you who have been successful on this is this how you started? Will the lows start getting lower so you are actually losing real pounds?

that is how weight loss has alwasy been for me when i am dieting, yes.

KrisM
05-31-2014, 05:45 AM
So how many weeks until it starts feeling like you could do this forever? I just did #6 fast and am finishing up week 3. It's really, really hard. I don't like thinking about food so intently for the entire day and just thinking about when I will get to eat! I have a hard time sleeping because I am so hungry going to bed. I've been trying to do a higher protein day so it will last longer, but I am hungry most of the day. I find I'm pretty crabby to the kids as well.

And after sticking to 510 calories yesterday, I weighed in exactly the same as I did yesterday morning, so a net loss of zero in nearly 3 weeks.

I'm thinking I'll try it 1-2 more weeks and if it's not at least a little easier or if the crabbiness isn't gone (since school will be out), I'll have to quit. Or unless pounds start coming off :)

Melaine
05-31-2014, 07:48 PM
I know week 3 was easier, week 4 was much much easier. i will say that i seem to have gone up a couple pounds, but I have been eating terribly the rest of the week.

KrisM
05-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Good to know! I have so much going on this week, I think the fast days should be easier.

And, even though I don't seem to have lost weight, I thought I'd try on a skirt that was too tight to wear in early May. I wanted to wear it then and put it on and could struggle to zip it, but it was really tight and way too uncomfortable to wear, especially to a dessert event :). So, I put it on just now, at the end of a regular eating day, and I could easily zip it. It's snug, but not overly tight. Too snug to be very flattering, but I could totally wear it, and eat in it, if I wanted to. So, yay!

Melaine
05-31-2014, 10:28 PM
Good to know! I have so much going on this week, I think the fast days should be easier.

And, even though I don't seem to have lost weight, I thought I'd try on a skirt that was too tight to wear in early May. I wanted to wear it then and put it on and could struggle to zip it, but it was really tight and way too uncomfortable to wear, especially to a dessert event :). So, I put it on just now, at the end of a regular eating day, and I could easily zip it. It's snug, but not overly tight. Too snug to be very flattering, but I could totally wear it, and eat in it, if I wanted to. So, yay!

That's great! I do notice sometimes the fit difference happens before the scale shows! woot!

KrisM
06-02-2014, 07:40 AM
What days are you guys doing this week? Friday for sure and either today or tomorrow, for me. I had thought today, but it's only 7:30 and I'm so hungry! I'll see if I can make it, but if not, I'll try again tomorrow

My scale finally moved and I'm down 7 lbs in 3 weeks. Last fast day was Friday, so I'm hopeful it's a pretty real number.

daisysmom
06-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Tues and thurs for me.

nfowife
06-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Wow Kris! That's awesome! Haven't weighed myself in over a week... Trying not to get caught up in the up and down. Today is a fast day and I haven't been so diligent because I worked out extra hard this morning and I'm so hungry. Ugh. Next fast day will be Thursday and then Friday-Monday I'm going to Mexico with DH!!

baymom
06-02-2014, 08:35 PM
Way to go Kris! I fasted today and my next one will be Thursday. I think I'll try to stick with Monday/Thursday as much as possible. I was fine until 4:30ish ( had only eaten one Kind bar and 2 cups of tea) when I started to feel really grumpy with the kids. Just had 3 egg whites with veggies and a half a slice of toast and feel much better!

KrisM
06-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks!

I can't go all the way until dinner. I get so hungry that all I do is think about food! But, I've made it through with about 550 cal. today. Close enough :). Even though the 2 fast days are tough, I like that I only have to do it twice a week and can just tell myself I can have whatever tomorrow. And, picking the days is fantastic - DD's birthday is Wed and we'll go out and have cake, etc. Nice to know I can do that!

Melaine
06-02-2014, 09:48 PM
7 lbs is incredible!!! awesome!

kristenk
06-04-2014, 08:09 AM
Today is supposed to be my very first fast day, but I just realized that we'll be going out for dinner tonight. Where we'll be going is pretty flexible, so I can try to make the best of it, but I know that eating out will be tricky. Any advice on what I should try to order? I know this is far from optimal, but is it even doable? Ugh. I'd really, really like to get started.

daisysmom
06-04-2014, 10:53 AM
Today is supposed to be my very first fast day, but I just realized that we'll be going out for dinner tonight. Where we'll be going is pretty flexible, so I can try to make the best of it, but I know that eating out will be tricky. Any advice on what I should try to order? I know this is far from optimal, but is it even doable? Ugh. I'd really, really like to get started.

I say opt for a salad with no dressing or little vinegar and just a meat on it, and still go for it. I am fasting today and also going out to dinner tonight and that's what my plan is (salad with either chicken or shrimp on it). Othersise I end up skipping the day.

Mermanaid
06-04-2014, 12:25 PM
I am on week three and am down 7lbs. I actually lost that much the first week but ended up putting 3-4 back on over my gluttonous Memorial Day. I find that I do better trying to wait to eat at dinner if I can make it that long. Water and hot tea are my friends! I also usually eat eggs on my fast days. Last week I ate a large Wendy's chili and it was soooo good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KrisM
06-04-2014, 02:12 PM
I say opt for a salad with no dressing or little vinegar and just a meat on it, and still go for it. I am fasting today and also going out to dinner tonight and that's what my plan is (salad with either chicken or shrimp on it). Othersise I end up skipping the day.

I'd do that, too.

kristenk
06-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks for encouraging me to go ahead with my first fast day. It went pretty well! I didn't eat anything until I had some apple around 5pm. That wasn't entirely planned, but it worked fairly well, except for the headache which led me to eat some apple. I discovered that it was easier to not eat when I hadn't eaten at all. After I ate the apple, I was really hungry. I had a salad for dinner and think that I stayed within the 500 calorie limit. (Part of the reason that I didn't eat much before dinner was b/c I knew we'd be going out and it might be a higher calorie meal.) With the exception of the time between the apple and dinner, I wasn't very hungry. I'm sort of wondering if my lack of hunger is because I have a lot of weight to lose or b/c of all of the sinus congestion I'm dealing with.

For my next fast day, I think I need to eat something earlier in the day to avoid headaches, but worry that will most likely make me feel hungrier.

I still need to finish reading the book. I hope that will help me plan my fast day a little better.

baymom
06-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Good job, Kristenk!! I had a fast day today, too. I usually have something in the late morning. Today, I just wasn't hungry until 3pm and had a Kind bar. I think waiting to eat until that late actually made it easier to fast today. I'm going to try that on Monday, too.

KrisM
06-06-2014, 06:28 AM
I am on week three and am down 7lbs. I actually lost that much the first week but ended up putting 3-4 back on over my gluttonous Memorial Day. I find that I do better trying to wait to eat at dinner if I can make it that long. Water and hot tea are my friends! I also usually eat eggs on my fast days. Last week I ate a large Wendy's chili and it was soooo good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome!

KrisM
06-06-2014, 07:31 AM
I can't make it until dinner with nothing. I've tried it and I get so hungry it's all I can think about, so I have something small about 2pm and it seems to work okay. Today is my fast day and I'm not positive how I'll work the timing. I have school things from 11-3:30 with the only break used to drive between the kid's schools. I haven't gone to 3:30 with nothing yet, but might today. I'll be busy enough.

So far I'm not finding the fast days to be getting easier, but overall it's easier to get through 2 low calorie days than to think about it daily and skip out on things every day.

KrisM
06-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Made it through to 4:30 and had a salad with chicken. I still have some calories left...not sure what I'll do with them. I am a bit hungry, so something, but will try to wait a bit longer. DD's birthday party is now, so I'm baking brownies, have chips and popcorn for snacks...

KrisM
06-09-2014, 05:57 AM
I guess it was a fluke, as I'm back up the 7 lbs yesterday and today. So, still down just 1 in 4 weeks. Oh well. School gets done Tuesday, so I'm going to give it a couple weeks during the summer and see how hard it is to stick to. It might just not be worth the struggle for only .25 to .5 lbs a week. I could pick up again in September and only missed out on 2-3 lbs of loss. I wish it wasn't so hard to lose weight.

kristenk
06-09-2014, 10:10 AM
KrisM, ugh on the 7 lb bounce. That seems unusual. I can understand losing 7# in one clump, but the gain just seems really weird. Any chance the gain could be related to your cycle?

KrisM
06-09-2014, 08:54 PM
KrisM, ugh on the 7 lb bounce. That seems unusual. I can understand losing 7# in one clump, but the gain just seems really weird. Any chance the gain could be related to your cycle?

I don't think so. I'm about 10 days in, so would seem not to be. I'm going to take the week off. The last day of school is tomorrow and we have fun stuff planned after that. I'll probably try again in another week, but figure a break will take the stress off a bit.

My 2nd fast last week was Friday. I started the day -2 from Monday and was exactly the same on Saturday. Sunday I went up and stayed there today. I was surprised I didn't lose during Friday's fast!

kristenk
06-09-2014, 09:41 PM
My 2nd fast last week was Friday. I started the day -2 from Monday and was exactly the same on Saturday. Sunday I went up and stayed there today. I was surprised I didn't lose during Friday's fast!

I'm surprised, too! Any chance the batteries in your scale are dying? That's all I can come up with.

Today was a fast day for me. I'm still working on the timing of meals b/c eating just makes hungry but I feel a little odd if I wait until too late in the day to eat something. I think I had an apple around 2:15 and then dinner at 6:30. I made a variation of the roasted vegetable recipe from the book and had some rotisserie chicken with it. I don't know the calorie count for everything, but I think I'm near 500.

KrisM
06-09-2014, 10:05 PM
No batteries in my scale...just a dial :)

daisysmom
06-10-2014, 01:07 PM
I am down 6 lbs. Not sure how many weeks I have been doing this but I seem to bounce up and down and up and down, but the downs are getting lower down. I know 6 lbs b/c I weighed at the drs office this morning and was down 6 lbs since 3 months ago, and this is the only change I have really made.

Yesterday's fast I tried skipping breakfast entirely, just miso soup for lunch, and I was ravenous at dinner. I don't count calories for dinner (I actually don't count them on nonfasting days either) but just try to eat lighter. I read Gran Brain last week too, and am trying to do more low carb (they also recommend intermitten fasting). Blood pressure today was 98/70 which is pretty low for me, wonder if this diet has resulted in that.

ExcitedMamma
06-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Thank you so much Melaine for recommending this! Today is exactly one month since I started and I am now down ten pounds! I am soooo excited!! I have been frustrated with the yo-yo up and downs but it now seems to really be working. I'm also only weighing myself after fasting so I am not concerned with the numbers bouncing around all week and now just happily watching them go down. I have been so frustrated at trying in vain to lose the baby weight and my baby is almost two so I am so excited that it might actually happen now! If anyone else is thinking about trying this or frustrated with it I highly recommend sticking with it. I've been unable to workout too because of injuries and I'm finally making progress on weight loss which is all down to this. DH has lost about five pounds too and he doesn't really have any weight to lose and is constantly cheating on his fast days.

Melaine
06-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Thank you so much Melaine for recommending this! Today is exactly one month since I started and I am now down ten pounds! I am soooo excited!! I have been frustrated with the yo-yo up and downs but it now seems to really be working. I'm also only weighing myself after fasting so I am not concerned with the numbers bouncing around all week and now just happily watching them go down. I have been so frustrated at trying in vain to lose the baby weight and my baby is almost two so I am so excited that it might actually happen now! If anyone else is thinking about trying this or frustrated with it I highly recommend sticking with it. I've been unable to workout too because of injuries and I'm finally making progress on weight loss which is all down to this. DH has lost about five pounds too and he doesn't really have any weight to lose and is constantly cheating on his fast days.

That's awesome! I fasted one day last week and one day this week just because of my birthday and traveling and I am still in a perfectly reasonable place, although only 8lbs down from my start weight. I am now at my ideal weight and size and like the way I look in my clothes, for the most part. I need to exercise and tone....but if I continue this and just keep my weight where it is, I will be perfectly happy, plus I believe in the health benefits. DH is now reading the book, I am hopeful he will join me.

mmsmom
06-13-2014, 01:38 PM
I just finished 4 weeks and am down about 2.5 pounds. However, I only had 5 pounds to lose so I am thrilled. I have been trying to lose that last 5 pounds for about 2 years now and could not seem to get past that plateau. I am a petite person so 5 lbs does make a difference. There has been some up & down on the scale but I hope in a few more weeks I will be at my goal.

I eat 1 hard boiled egg in the AM (70 cal) Then mid-day I have a salad w/ baby kale (1.5 cups is only 12 calories) & 1tbsp of TJ's low fat pram ranch which is only 15 calories. Then for dinner I have a smaller portion of whatever I have made for the family. Maybe I would be more successful by not eating throughout the day but it is too hard for me. I do work out pretty hard so I am trying to coordinate fasting days with days I do not work out or do a lighter workout. I do think you have to be reasonable on non-fast days. I continue to eat pretty healthy but am allowing myself a little more leeway and it has been nice to have that while still losing.

Thanks OP for starting this! I have been wanting to try since I heard about it a few months ago on NPR. Also, I have family from India and many of them fast at least one day a week for religious reasons. I think they only have tea on those days but I could be wrong. I haven't read the book but I was wondering if it talked about other cultures that fast as part of their religion/ culture.

Melaine
06-17-2014, 06:25 AM
I just finished 4 weeks and am down about 2.5 pounds. However, I only had 5 pounds to lose so I am thrilled. I have been trying to lose that last 5 pounds for about 2 years now and could not seem to get past that plateau. I am a petite person so 5 lbs does make a difference. There has been some up & down on the scale but I hope in a few more weeks I will be at my goal.

I eat 1 hard boiled egg in the AM (70 cal) Then mid-day I have a salad w/ baby kale (1.5 cups is only 12 calories) & 1tbsp of TJ's low fat pram ranch which is only 15 calories. Then for dinner I have a smaller portion of whatever I have made for the family. Maybe I would be more successful by not eating throughout the day but it is too hard for me. I do work out pretty hard so I am trying to coordinate fasting days with days I do not work out or do a lighter workout. I do think you have to be reasonable on non-fast days. I continue to eat pretty healthy but am allowing myself a little more leeway and it has been nice to have that while still losing.

Thanks OP for starting this! I have been wanting to try since I heard about it a few months ago on NPR. Also, I have family from India and many of them fast at least one day a week for religious reasons. I think they only have tea on those days but I could be wrong. I haven't read the book but I was wondering if it talked about other cultures that fast as part of their religion/ culture.

That is great!!! Well, I am back on the plan. A couple weeks of being pretty slack (just fasting one day each) so yesterday was a bit tricky mentally. I just wanted to eat everything all at once. But I reminded myself that it WAS mental and I actually wasn't physically hungry. I have noticed how I feel when I eat a high in carb breakfast. At 10 AM, I feel exactly the same way on a fast day as I do on a day that I had a bagel or a bowl of cereal. Exactly the same, if not hungrier when I've had the cereal/bagel.

KrisM
06-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Sounds like it's working really well for some of you! I hope to join you :). I took last week off, didn't gain or lose, so am back to where I started 5 weeks ago and I fasted yesterday for a new start. It's harder with the kids here, so I'll have to really think about which days I pick. But, maybe I just need a few more weeks to get it to kick in or something.

niccig
06-17-2014, 10:15 PM
I want to start with all of you. What do I need to do? And can I exercise on the non-fast days? I want to start couch to 5K again.

kristenk
06-17-2014, 10:56 PM
I think I've lost about 5-7 pounds since I started about 2 weeks ago. My first week was sort of a half week and I only fasted one day, I only fasted one day last week and my third fast day was yesterday. Having DD out of school makes things a bit trickier because I really don't want her to think not eating is appropriate for her to do since I'm doing it.

I felt a little dizzy yesterday during my fast day, but dizzier today. I'm not sure what's going on. I've had problems with vertigo (BPPV) before and can't figure out if it's that or related to the fast. It seems as if dizziness is not an uncommon side effect with the fast diet. Now that I'm thinking about it, I was much better drinking water and herbal tea yesterday than today. I guess that could be it, too. And my allergies are bothering me and my ears seem a bit plugged. So who knows what the dizziness is related to!

I'm not ravenously hungry on my fast days. It seems easier to ignore hunger if I know that I won't eat until say 2pm. I'm sure that won't always be the case, but it hasn't been too bad so far!

My taste buds seem to have changed a little bit. Sweet things seem incredibly almost over-sweet now. I don't snack as much between meals, either. Both of those things are absolutely incredible to me!

kristenk
06-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Nicci, it generally boils down to eating 500 calories two days per week and however you normally eat the other 5 days. If you feel like exercising at any point (fasting day or non-fasting day), go for it. You might find that it works better to exercise certain days or times than others. Just play with what works for you.

Some people try to eat an evening meal only on fast days, some people eat breakfast and dinner, other people eat 3 small meals. I try to maintain the fast as long as possible without feeling yucky, so I've been eating a little something around 2 or 3 and then dinner with my family. Make sure you drink enough, too.

melrose7
06-18-2014, 12:04 AM
I'm so happy to have seen this thread. This looks like the kind if diet I could really do. I usually don't eat until afternoon anyway so I could easily go until 2 without eating, have some fruit, and a light dinner. The only problem will be making dinner as I cook dinner for everyone 7 days a week and we always eat as a family. But for 2 days a week I can come up with something the kids like better and have a salad or something. I have been so unmotivated with eating and running after losing 10lbs last summer, doing my first 5K and 10K, and now gaining it back and having not run much since my race last fall. I can do this fasting and run 4 of the non fasting days. I have the book on hold at the library but I am starting tomorrow. Since I haven't read the book all I know is that I need to limit to 500 calories tomorrow, but what about diet soda, flavored water, etc?
Thanks again OP

niccig
06-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Thanks KristenK for explaining. I think this can work for me too. I have 7 lbs to lose and I'd like to do that this summer plus start exercising again. I had a stomach bug last week and didn't really eat for a couple of days, so I may wait until end of week to start - make sure I've over the illness. I'll have to look for the book at the library.

ETA - does it have to be the same 2 days or any 2 days? Thanks.

Melaine
06-18-2014, 07:17 AM
melrose7 I think diet soda or diet drinks are permitted, I usually have one or so a week on my fast days. Do you guys not have leftover nights? We have leftovers almost every time I cook so I plan for my fast days to fall on a leftover night or an easy cook night.

nicci, they recommend that the fast days NOT be consecutive. Also, not sure if we mentioned but the recommendation is to start your fast day the night before in the evening so not to snack after dinner. I rarely follow that rule though.

KrisM
06-18-2014, 07:22 AM
I think I've lost about 5-7 pounds since I started about 2 weeks ago. My first week was sort of a half week and I only fasted one day, I only fasted one day last week and my third fast day was yesterday. Having DD out of school makes things a bit trickier because I really don't want her to think not eating is appropriate for her to do since I'm doing it.

I felt a little dizzy yesterday during my fast day, but dizzier today. I'm not sure what's going on. I've had problems with vertigo (BPPV) before and can't figure out if it's that or related to the fast. It seems as if dizziness is not an uncommon side effect with the fast diet. Now that I'm thinking about it, I was much better drinking water and herbal tea yesterday than today. I guess that could be it, too. And my allergies are bothering me and my ears seem a bit plugged. So who knows what the dizziness is related to!

I'm not ravenously hungry on my fast days. It seems easier to ignore hunger if I know that I won't eat until say 2pm. I'm sure that won't always be the case, but it hasn't been too bad so far!

My taste buds seem to have changed a little bit. Sweet things seem incredibly almost over-sweet now. I don't snack as much between meals, either. Both of those things are absolutely incredible to me!

What a great start! I hope you figure out the dizziness though. That doesn't sound good.

I'm so happy to have seen this thread. This looks like the kind if diet I could really do. I usually don't eat until afternoon anyway so I could easily go until 2 without eating, have some fruit, and a light dinner. The only problem will be making dinner as I cook dinner for everyone 7 days a week and we always eat as a family. But for 2 days a week I can come up with something the kids like better and have a salad or something. I have been so unmotivated with eating and running after losing 10lbs last summer, doing my first 5K and 10K, and now gaining it back and having not run much since my race last fall. I can do this fasting and run 4 of the non fasting days. I have the book on hold at the library but I am starting tomorrow. Since I haven't read the book all I know is that I need to limit to 500 calories tomorrow, but what about diet soda, flavored water, etc?
Thanks again OP

Good luck! You just limit calories. You should drink enough water, but they do not limit diet soda.

Thanks KristenK for explaining. I think this can work for me too. I have 7 lbs to lose and I'd like to do that this summer plus start exercising again. I had a stomach bug last week and didn't really eat for a couple of days, so I may wait until end of week to start - make sure I've over the illness. I'll have to look for the book at the library.

ETA - does it have to be the same 2 days or any 2 days? Thanks.

Any 2. I plan my week on Sunday and see what days work the best for me. Fortunately for me, I don't have the rule that I only cook one dinner and we all eat it :). So, I plan meals I don't really like twice a week and those are my fast days. Thursday is next and that is taco night. Not my thing, but the kids and DH like them. I always eat something different on taco nights.

melrose7
06-18-2014, 09:45 AM
melrose7 I think diet soda or diet drinks are permitted, I usually have one or so a week on my fast days. Do you guys not have leftover nights? We have leftovers almost every time I cook so I plan for my fast days to fall on a leftover night or an easy cook night.

Good to know. I usually have 1 diet coke a day. I read this thread last night after I had a little snack after dinner but was done eating by 10 so I figure if I can wait til about 9 or 10 tomorrow morning that will be close enough to 36 hours. Not sure what's for dinner yet tonight but I am going to run to the grocery store later today,which will be hard since I am sure I will be hungry, and get more lettuce and fruit.
We rarely do leftovers because my husband works night and he usually takes whatever is leftover to have at work later. But I can make a more kid friendly meal tonight and have a salad and hope the kids don't say anything. Not sure what DH is going to have yet. He is trying to figure out how he can do this because he works four 10 hour days so his 36 hours are a little different.

hellokitty
06-18-2014, 10:13 AM
I didn't fall off the planet. For the past two wks I've been in training for a new job and basically have had lunch with those who are training me, because I don't want to come off as a weirdo as the new person, lol. Now I'm on my own and doing the fasting again. My job is not one where I have anyone who shares the same office area as I do, so I'm really looking forward to fasting 2x a wk. I did get a chance to fast once last wk and I have managed to keep off the lbs I lost from the first couple wks of fasting I did before I started my new job.

Melaine, I also use leftover night as my opportunity to do fasting, so I don't have to deal with cooking on those nights. So far my kids haven't really noticed, I don't always rat meals at the same time as they do, so I guess they are used to it.

Are any of you doing fasting with your spouse? I'm trying to convince my dh to do it too, because his wt yoyo's a lot.

Melaine
06-18-2014, 11:22 AM
I am fine with my girls knowing about my fasting. I explained to them that I am trying this plan to improve my health. They know I have a lot of tummy issues and I explained that I want my stomach to have a break a couple days a week, which is completely true. They know I read the book and they know that dieting is only for grownups. Plus now that I am in the fastdiet groove, I can legitimately say, I am just not hungry for lunch and that is not an issue or a lie. I want them to know they don't have to eat if they aren't hungry, so I am just matter of fact with them. My kids have always been fantastic healthy eaters though so it doesn't concern me that much anyway.

I really want DH to join me. I am concerned that I am relaxing my "Rules" on nonfast days (eating treats with less hesitation, etc) but he is going right along with me. It is really not great since he is not fasting. I still want to tweak our family choices to be less carb heavy and add more veggies, but it's a work in progress. It really all comes down to my poor planning skills for shopping AND cooking. Maybe as DS is getting older I can get back in the organized mommy game.

niccig
06-19-2014, 01:09 AM
I really want DH to join me. I am concerned that I am relaxing my "Rules" on nonfast days (eating treats with less hesitation, etc) but he is going right along with me. It is really not great since he is not fasting.

Melanie I was reading some reviews of the diet last night and a couple people said they started to gain weight as became too lax on nonfast days. I can see that it's a balance between the fast days and not over-indulging. I know I can lose the weight, for me it's maintaining it that's the most difficult. Does the book have any advice on that?

daisysmom
06-23-2014, 01:36 PM
I don't think the good is that great on advice, frankly - as I think the writer really came upon this more as a personal journey/challenge versus a science background/discovery/long study. I did end up reading the book (quickly in one day) from the library, but I feel that the real advice I have gotten has been from this thread, the Amazon reviews, and there is a 5:2 facebook group (you have to ask to be invited, but it just took a day or two for them to reply to it).
My weight has bounced around - I was out of town all last week on an incredible work trip with lots of indulging, and I didn't really hold back. I felt like crap a the end and had bloated up 5 lbs but have lost it all since I got back. Today is my first fast day this week and I will do 2, but next week we have a family vacation for the whole week and I imagine I will partake in some of our favorites that we eat only while there. I feel lke this diet is forgiving that way - you can take some time off. I have also learned that I must be at work to do it -- I need to be busy and without distraction (and without snacking). I would find this very hard if I were home for a bulk of or all day.

kristenk
06-23-2014, 08:53 PM
daisysmom, can you tell me the name of the Facebook group? I'd love to join.

niccig
06-26-2014, 12:38 AM
I did my first fast day yesterday. It went well. I was hungry a couple of times, but a cup of hot green tea helped that. I think it helped that I ate similar food to normal, just less of it. Breakfast was spinach with 2 eggs cooked on top minus the cheese on top and toast on the side. Lunch was berries and greek yogurt, which is usually a snack for me. Dinner was lettuce, tomato, cucumber salad with some taco meat on top, as DS was having tacos for dinner. I usually make this salad with more meat, cheese, sour cream and salsa. I *think* I stayed around 500 calories.

I was hungry this morning, so had an earlier breakfast. I've eaten like I normally do today and managed to not snack too much.
I'll see how my 2nd fast day goes on Friday.

daisysmom
06-26-2014, 01:58 PM
daisysmom, can you tell me the name of the Facebook group? I'd love to join.

It is called 5:2 Fasting (In America)

I think I clicked on it and asked to be invited and was added in a few days. I read last week that they have something like 700 members.

Mermanaid
06-26-2014, 04:19 PM
I see there have been several members added to the FB group the last few days. Is that y'all?!

I joined it on Monday morning.

div_0305
06-26-2014, 04:19 PM
I just did my first fast day yesterday! Admittedly, did not read book --just did basic fast and stayed at 500 cal. My question after reading some of the links in this thread, has anyone combined the 5:2 fast with the eat all your food within 8 hours fast diet? I'm thinking I could do two 500 cal days and then normal healthy eating the other 5 days but in an 8 hour period.

Also, I know I shouldn't do this, but today, I've had so little appetite, so I thought why not make this my second fast day in a row and then next week spread them out Mon-Thur or Tues.-Thur.

ETA: I think this is abnormal, but I lost 3 pounds during yesterday's fast period. Maybe you lose more initially if you have a lot to lose. I drank water and black tea, so could just be water weight. I need to switch to green or white tea.

daisysmom
06-26-2014, 09:05 PM
I am finding it easier to eat on my non-fast days in an 8 or 9 hour period. Honestly, one of the things I have learned by 5:2 and fasting generally is that I don't need the volumes of food that I tend to eat. I am not hungry on my fasting days (coffee, no breakfsst, run 3 miles, maybe a diet vitamin water or crystal light, small miso soup, normal dinner). On my no fasting days, I am foregoing my breakfast (2 eggs, or a fee yogurt) until 9 or so and exercising at 7 bc if summer heat combined with camp drop off schedule. I just don't need the volume of food at 45 that I was eating. I am a but worried that my metabolism is slowing down tho as a result, as I am not losing weight as fast as I would like. But I am about to go in vacation next week and I know that will be a weight gaining experience so I am not too crazy worried. I do honestly FEEL much better fasting tho.

KrisM
06-27-2014, 08:06 AM
I'm going to be done with this. It's just not for me. I don't like spending so much time every day thinking about what I am eating, not eating, can eat, etc. I feel like it's taking over. I wasn't gaining weight before starting this and wasn't thinking about food all day long either. I haven't lost any weight since mid-May really, but it's consuming my day now. I've lost 5 or so pounds over and over again, but only on the day after the fast and then it goes back up and then drops and goes back up again. Today I weighed the same as I did on May 12.

Good luck to you all! I hope you have more success than I did.

niccig
07-05-2014, 02:11 PM
How is everyone doing? I'm about to start my third week and DH, his 2nd. I'm down about 2lbs. I've been reading some information on the UK 5:2 forums and I've been experimenting with what works for me. I do much better if I don't eat until dinner on my fast days. If I have something to eat, then I'm really hungry, and the day is more difficult. I drink plenty of water and tea, and then eat dinner around 6.30 with DS. It seems counterintuitive, but it's easier for me to go longer without eating than to break it up. DH has a much longer day and he's been eating around 2pm on fast days then dinner at 8pm. Both of us have found we're eating less/better on non-fast days. I'm just not inclined to go crazy. I also feel better after a non-fast day, I'm not ravenously hungry at all.

It's still early days, so we'll see how it goes.

kristenk
07-05-2014, 02:52 PM
I didn't fast at all this past week. We were on vacation for part of it and then I wanted to be able to partake in 4th of July fare. :) I'll be back to it next week.

I have to say that I really dread the fasting day leading up to it, but once I'm in the middle of it, I'm good. It's almost like the deciding-to-fast part is the harder part for me.

Nicci, I agree with you about eating less/better on regular days now. I'm not sure why that happens, but I'm happy that it does!

daisysmom
07-05-2014, 04:34 PM
I have been in vacation this wek at the beach (with hurricane author) so I didn't fast. We really had a ton if celebration are food around, snacks and desserts that I just don't have regularly, and wine wine wine all the time. I also Sunstruck work out at all other than ocean swimming and that wasn't much. I was ready for a "break" as I really haven't had but 5 days of not exercising since the day after Christmas. I feel like I have gained a lot of weight tho and I am looking forward to getting back to 5:2 on Monday. I just knew I would have a really hard time fasting in the beach house and with friends and family.

hellokitty
07-05-2014, 07:35 PM
I wish I could wait until the end of day to eat. But I definitely am a breakfast person. I've lost a little bit of at and the good thing is that I'm not regaining at. However, my progress has been slow. Is it slower if you're in your 40's?

niccig
07-06-2014, 12:09 AM
I wish I could wait until the end of day to eat. But I definitely am a breakfast person. I've lost a little bit of at and the good thing is that I'm not regaining at. However, my progress has been slow. Is it slower if you're in your 40's?

Yep, our metabolism slows down. I was reading on the 5:2 UK forum and it's a slow way to lose weight. Some people were finding that they had small losses most weeks than some weeks had a bigger loss.

I'm going to just keep plugging away knowing that it'll take some time.

hellokitty
07-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Yep, our metabolism slows down. I was reading on the 5:2 UK forum and it's a slow way to lose weight. Some people were finding that they had small losses most weeks than some weeks had a bigger loss.

I'm going to just keep plugging away knowing that it'll take some time.

OK, good. I guess I have never been a, "fast" wt loser anyway. I have never lost wt as fast as others. However, the good thing I have discovered with this 5:2 is that I am at least maintaining what I have lost, with little effort, other than the 2 fast days. So, to me, this feels like something that, once you get used to the fasting routine, req very little effort. I have to say that I enjoy not having to figure out what to bring to work for lunch 2x a wk, lol.

ExcitedMamma
07-06-2014, 11:00 AM
DaisysMom you might recover faster than you think from your non-fasting vacation. We just got back from a long road trip for about ten days that was very kid centric so lots of places that only served pizza, chicken fingers, and burgers and fries. I was happy I only gained two pounds when I weighed in at home! I went back to my two fast days (but not as strictly as before--too much temptation after re-stocking at Costco) and by the end of the week had still lost those two pounds again. I think this diet does make it much easier to maintain. I was very worried the weight would come back after not fasting so I am very pleased.

daisysmom
07-06-2014, 08:19 PM
DaisysMom you might recover faster than you think from your non-fasting vacation. We just got back from a long road trip for about ten days that was very kid centric so lots of places that only served pizza, chicken fingers, and burgers and fries. I was happy I only gained two pounds when I weighed in at home! I went back to my two fast days (but not as strictly as before--too much temptation after re-stocking at Costco) and by the end of the week had still lost those two pounds again. I think this diet does make it much easier to maintain. I was very worried the weight would come back after not fasting so I am very pleased.

Yay!! I am hopeful. It has been hard enough to return from fun and sea and sand ;( but I will be fasting tomorrow. Am also going to do a 30 day ab challenge in July I think. I am about to turn 45 and while I really stepped up my cardio this year (biking and running) I need to work in the weights for toning. Just not enough time!

ExcitedMamma
07-06-2014, 09:23 PM
If it helps encourage you on your fast day tomorrow DaisysMom I have done zero exercise in a couple of months and IF is working really well so I'm sure you'll have great results doing IF and exercise. I'm hoping my doctor and physical therapist clear me to get back to exercising again this week. What's an ab challenge? Is that like the plank challenge?

div_0305
07-07-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm starting my 3rd week of IF. Today is a fast day. I'm doing Mon and Thurs, which seemed the best way for me to do it. I look forward to fasting on Monday as I feel like my body is getting a break from the weekend. I see that I'm eating better and less on nonfast days, as I think my stomach has shrunk due to fasting, so I feel full faster. I've heard that the stomach stretches/shrinks based on how much food it's used to handling at one time.

I've been eating an egg or half protein shake at 2pm and then a substantial salad for dinner. I like having a little protein about 2:00pm. I drink more water and tea, especially if I'm starting to feel hungry. I am MUCH more alert on fasting days, so I fly through my work!! I love it! Also, I started C25K. I hope I can keep up with C25K--I'm in really bad shape from lack of exercise. It's my 2nd week, and due to scheduling, my first run of the week is Monday, so I'm also fasting on that day. Even if I don't make it through C25K at the same time, the extra exercising I'm getting in is awesome.

Weight loss has been interesting--jumping a bit up and down, but my clothes feel more loose. I gain a lot of water weight during my period, so I need to see where I am in a couple days weight wise.

kristenk
07-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Today is a fast day for me. I'm going to try to be better about drinking water and tea throughout the day. I'm hoping that will help with the dizziness/off-ness I've felt in the afternoon on fast days.

I am already looking forward to dinner! lol

kristenk
07-07-2014, 04:56 PM
I let DD make brownies by herself this morning. The smell of brownies is EVERYWHERE. Today is a more difficult fast day than I had anticipated!

daisysmom
07-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Ending a fast day today - thanks for your encouragement! I had no breakfast, miso soup for lunch, small packet of cashews at 5 and then sat through a swim meet and came home and had 2 pieces of sandwich bread with mayo and a slice of onion and a slice of tomatoe. I haven't calculated it but honestly felt fine in this fast day... But that may be bc if the foot from last week I am still storing in reserve!! ;) I too think it is a way of life I can do forever, but I want to see lbs go down. I think at 45 I am seeing the lbs stick on and being oerimenapausal... I just have worse ovulations and periods. But we can do this. You all should join the 5:2 in American Facebook group - if you ask to join they let everyone in in a few days and there are some great success postings

hellokitty
07-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Well, you have convinced me to try holding out more, until dinner time. I just had coffee this morning and then had one boiled egg around 1pm, and then had dinner. I did fine, so maybe I will just keep that schedule, instead of doing breakfast. I slept poorly last night and thought I would be a goner today at work, but instead, I got LOT done at work and was pretty alert. I really like keeping Monday as my first fast day of the wk.

niccig
07-07-2014, 10:23 PM
Well, you have convinced me to try holding out more, until dinner time. I just had coffee this morning and then had one boiled egg around 1pm, and then had dinner. I did fine, so maybe I will just keep that schedule, instead of doing breakfast. I slept poorly last night and thought I would be a goner today at work, but instead, I got LOT done at work and was pretty alert. I really like keeping Monday as my first fast day of the wk.

I thought I was a breakfast person too, but it's easier for me to go without. I had a few pistachios at 5pm then had dinner at 6.30. I didn't drink enough water though.

ExcitedMamma
07-09-2014, 06:16 PM
I'm officially an idiot...how do I find the Facebook group? Couldn't find in by searching on FB or Google. Thanks!

gcc2k
07-12-2014, 02:23 PM
I am very interested in starting IF. But I'm still nursing. DS2 is almost 14 months, and still nurses 4 times a day: in the morning, before both naps, and before bed. When he drops his morning naps in the next few months I'll drop that feeding. I'm willing to nurse for a while, but I'm wondering if I need to wait until he's weaned before I start this.

niccig
07-14-2014, 01:43 AM
I am very interested in starting IF. But I'm still nursing. DS2 is almost 14 months, and still nurses 4 times a day: in the morning, before both naps, and before bed. When he drops his morning naps in the next few months I'll drop that feeding. I'm willing to nurse for a while, but I'm wondering if I need to wait until he's weaned before I start this.

I would wait. I'd hate for DS to wean because of 5:2 diet before I was emotionally ready for him to wean. So, I'd wait until the time was right.

kristenk
07-14-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm trying to decide on my second fast day of the week and I want to see what you guys think about this idea. I have an upcoming 4.5 hour drive by myself. What would you think about fasting on that day? I generally feel very alert on fast days and I could take herbal tea and water with me. Another consideration is I'll be meeting up with some people at the end of the drive and we'll be going out to dinner. Thoughts? Would you use fast that day or not?

ETA: Crud! I just looked at the menu of the restaurant we'll be going to and it looks absolutely divine! I might see about fasting on the return trip, though, so original question still stands, with the exception of the girls' night at restaurant at the end of the day.

niccig
07-14-2014, 05:07 PM
I'm trying to decide on my second fast day of the week and I want to see what you guys think about this idea. I have an upcoming 4.5 hour drive by myself. What would you think about fasting on that day? I generally feel very alert on fast days and I could take herbal tea and water with me. Another consideration is I'll be meeting up with some people at the end of the drive and we'll be going out to dinner. Thoughts? Would you use fast that day or not?

ETA: Crud! I just looked at the menu of the restaurant we'll be going to and it looks absolutely divine! I might see about fasting on the return trip, though, so original question still stands, with the exception of the girls' night at restaurant at the end of the day.

I could do the drive. You could see how you go. Do you eat throughout day on fast days or go all day? I'd take a protein bar - we eat quest bars, 160 calories and 20g protein. If you feel you need to eat more, you could pull over to do so, then fast another day or just do 1 fast day for that week. You could also eat more before you leave, and then the fast part of the day would be when you're at home.

Mermanaid
07-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Could you start your fast mid-day on the day before you leave? That could give you 36 hours or so of fast and still eat dinner with your friends. If you are alert on fast days I wouldn't worry about the drive.

kristenk
07-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Could you start your fast mid-day on the day before you leave? That could give you 36 hours or so of fast and still eat dinner with your friends. If you are alert on fast days I wouldn't worry about the drive.

Ohhhhhh, I like this idea. But starting mid-day confuses me. How exactly would you do it? When would I stop eating and what would my calorie totals be for those days? I don't know why this always confuses me when I think about it, but it does.

Nicci, I usually eat something around 2:30 or 3:30 on fast days. Today was an apple and a little bit of peanut butter. Often, it's a Kind bar.

Mermanaid
07-14-2014, 08:19 PM
What time are you meeting friends for dinner? If it were me, I would eat what I wanted until noon the day before I leave. I would fast the remainder of the day (which could be hard) and then have your regular fast day calories early in the day you leave. If dinner is at 6p you should have 30 hours of fasting. It is not a perfect plan but a way for you to accomplish the fast and a yummy dinner.

niccig
07-15-2014, 02:08 AM
What time are you meeting friends for dinner? If it were me, I would eat what I wanted until noon the day before I leave. I would fast the remainder of the day (which could be hard) and then have your regular fast day calories early in the day you leave. If dinner is at 6p you should have 30 hours of fasting. It is not a perfect plan but a way for you to accomplish the fast and a yummy dinner.

This is a great idea and why I'm finding the 5:2 diet to be easy to work with - it's flexible and you can change things up to suit your life.

hellokitty
07-15-2014, 07:55 AM
This is a great idea and why I'm finding the 5:2 diet to be easy to work with - it's flexible and you can change things up to suit your life.

Yup, I am losing wt very slowly, but I am losing (and keeping it off). It is very flexible, I work it around social gatherings, which was a big issue when I did whole30 and basically couldn't at anything at social gatherings.

melrose7
07-16-2014, 07:07 PM
I am loving this diet as a way to change my eating habits and hopefully lose that last 15lbs. This is something I can stick to because it allows me "free days" and I don't have to say the whole week is shot because I ate 3 cookies on Tuesday. It is flexible and you do feel fuller on nonfast days which makes it easier. I need to start running with the diet to increase my weight loss but as long as the numbers go down I am happy. The Facebook page is called 5:2 fasting (in America)