PDA

View Full Version : how much do you pay for a haircut?

Sweetum
05-10-2014, 02:26 PM
How much for haircut? and this should include the shampooing and the blowdrying (somehow I can't imagine a haircut being just that). I don't have time for a regular one so I end up going every 3 months and get something that grows out well. and each time I am thinking how much I should spend...poll coming!

candaceb
05-10-2014, 03:10 PM
$45 for wash cut & blow dry. My stylist is the owner and it's an Aveda salon in a MCOL area.

JBaxter
05-10-2014, 03:17 PM
about $40-45 maybe 3x a year I wear my hair longer and it doesnt need cut as often I do trim my whispy bangs myself I made a horrid mistake of getting a $12 hair cut at hair cuttery... OH MY was there a difference.

KrisM
05-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I pay $22 for wash, cut, dry. I don't like paying, so I only go a couple times a year.

BabyBearsMom
05-10-2014, 03:25 PM
I go over 8-10 weeks in a HCOL area and pay $75 for cut, wash and dry. I go to an Aveda salon and see the master stylist there. Totally worth it to me. I have to wear my hair everyday afterall.

sariana
05-10-2014, 03:54 PM
I never pay for shampoo or blow dry. The regular price for a cut is $14, but I often have a coupon. I get my hair cut 3 or 4'times a year, more often now that I'm working and need a more professional look.

SnuggleBuggles
05-10-2014, 04:26 PM
I do cut and color so I never see the individual break down. I'm guessing $45 for wash, cut and dry.

dhano923
05-10-2014, 04:27 PM
I would pay $75 for wash, cut and blow dry, not including tip if I did them on their own, but I normally do a color touch up with it, which is $55 on its own. I don't always get it blow dried/styled - i do that sometimes if I have no plans that weekend and am just hanging out at home. Saves me the $35. I'm in HCOL area (So. CA).

wellyes
05-10-2014, 05:42 PM
$50ish or $30ish depending on my mood (where I choose to book).

egoldber
05-10-2014, 05:46 PM
I pay $60 for a haircut, that includes shampoo and blowdry. I voted $60-$100 because I do tip on top of that. I know she charges more now for other clients, but I've been seeing her for almost 10 years!!! Over the last 18 months I've moved to a style that requires less maintenance, so I only get my hair cut every 4 months now.

MSWR0319
05-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Oh my gosh, I would never get my hair cut if I lived in some of your cities! I pay $22 for a cut/wash/blow dry.

brittone2
05-10-2014, 05:54 PM
60 plus $12 to 15 for tip, plus another 2 or 3 to the shampoo girl as my stylist sometimes does it herself, and sometimes has an asst do it.My hair is longer now so I go less frequently, but for a long time I had a pixie and went every 5 wks

lalasmama
05-10-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm cheap. We go to Perfect Look (I assume this is a national chain?). It's under $20 for me, and under $15 for DD. The only time I pay more is when it's time for the yearly perm. My hair doesn't behave without it. So, once a year, it's $100 or so.

smilequeen
05-10-2014, 05:56 PM
I have to guess 60-100 because I get a trim and highlights every 6-8 weeks, never just a cut. I pay around $250 for the whole thing. It's a med/low COL area, but I go to a more upscale salon. I am picky about my hair.

MelissaTC
05-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Anyone worth their salt around here is at least $50. I have seen the same person out of her home (she converted a room into a salon) and she went up to $35 6 years ago! I wear my hair short now and color it every other cut. I pay $80-95 plus tip, depending on what we decide to do. I know I pay 50% of what my friends pay.

scrooks
05-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Depending on who does it it's anywhere from $45-60. I only get my hair cut 2-3 times a year. I get highlights more often. They typically cost between $90-$130 (depending on if I get a full or partial highlight). My hair is one of my biggest splurges.

eta these are pre-tip costs....

schrocat
05-10-2014, 06:44 PM
I paid $13 for my haircut in a HCOL area. She did a pretty good job. I got complimented on my hair after the haircut quite a fair bit. Usually I wait till I'm back in Singapore to cut my hair and just let it grow long but I felt like I wanted it shorter so I got it cut. DH and my sons get their hair cut at the same place and pay $8 for a haircut.

emily_gracesmama
05-10-2014, 06:49 PM
Ugh i spend about 600 a year. Cut every six weeks and highlights and cut the next time bit think it runs 55 without tip for cut and about 130 the other time. She's great and that's the going cost around here for a salon that's not a hair cuttery or such. It's worth it there was a huge difference the last time I tried the h cuttery when she was in maternity leave.

azzeps
05-10-2014, 07:01 PM
I finally found a stylist I like, so I pay $55 plus tip. She does a great job so she's worth it.

ilfaith
05-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Wash, cut, and style is about $40 at the Aveda salon I frequent (depending on the experience level of the stylist). I usually get color as well, so all together with tip I end up paying around $200.

Mommy_Mea
05-10-2014, 08:17 PM
I pay $54 plus tip for shampoo, cut and dry, plus tip. I asked about just getting the cut (without dry/style), and it was only going to save me $5. It is a very typical going rate around here, and I actually think I get a great deal. I have tried going to stylist that are a bit closer, paid the same, and the cut was not nearly as nice. I have been going to my stylist for 8 years.

I have tried cheaper, and my hair just looks so much worse, grows out much shaggier. I only get my hair cut 3-4 times a year, it is worth it to me.

That said, we cut our boy's hair at home :)

twowhat?
05-10-2014, 08:52 PM
$55 not including the tip from an independent stylist. I searched long and hard for someone who knows how to handle my very thick, halfway curly, coarse asian hair after my last asian stylist moved back overseas. He's amazing and he had better never retire.

zukeypur
05-10-2014, 08:59 PM
$4.99 at great clips.

mackmama
05-10-2014, 09:03 PM
HCOL about $100. Don't even ask me how much it costs to color it (which is why I rarely do it). I get haircuts maybe 2x year.

pb&j
05-10-2014, 09:09 PM
$60 + tip.

I always think it is highway robbery until I go to someone cheaper and then I'd pay any amount of money to undo the hack job that invariably ensues.

calebsmama03
05-10-2014, 10:08 PM
When I was going to a regular stylist I paid about $50 plus tip. My hair developed a lot more wave that was impossible to deal with following yds birth so the last 2 cuts have been with a Deva stylist using deva cut technique. Takes forever, way more labor intensive, but my wave is looking better so I may stick with it. The deva cut is $80 plus tip (yikes!!!) I wear my hair long now and only cut 3 times a year max. I do my own color with stuff from Sally's.

My area isn't super high COL like NYC or CA but it is fairly high.

oneplustwo
05-10-2014, 10:12 PM
$41 plus tip for a wash, cut and blow dry, in a HCOL area. I feel lucky. Love my stylist!

theriviera
05-10-2014, 10:40 PM
It just went up from $75 to $99 for a haircut, including a wash and blow dry.

ahisma
05-10-2014, 11:12 PM
$40 before tip. She's worth every penny! I only go 3-4x / year. Shampoo and blowdry is part of the package, you don't save anything if you skip it. She's at an independent salon, they really focus on retro and pinup styles. That's not my thing, I go there because they are 100% cruelty free...and really good at what they do.

My kids go there too - she charges between $10 and $15 for them (priced at $15, but sometimes she charges $10). She gives them better cuts than any kid-focused place ever has. They think her tattoos and ever-changing hair color is rad, LOL.

Kindra178
05-10-2014, 11:25 PM
$55 before tip. The fellow I am going to now is awesome and so cheap. I was paying $150 for awhile.

o_mom
05-10-2014, 11:31 PM
$13 at Great Clips if I don't have a coupon. That is cut and blow dry. I wash right before I go so my hair is still damp.

I have a simple cut. Chin-length bob, no curls, no layers, this is beauty school 101. Even with that, I went to a half-dozen different stylists when we moved to the area and paid $35-55 + tip for mediocre or downright bad cuts. I figure if that is what I am going to get, I may as well only pay $13 for it. I saw no difference when I paid $$$ and actually have been much happier with the cut there.

Globetrotter
05-11-2014, 12:19 AM
don't always get it blow dried/styled - i do that sometimes if I have no plans that weekend and am just hanging out at home.

Is that an option?? I go to Aveda salons and noticed it's lumped together with other services. Since going curly, I see no point in getting them to style my hair after coloring because they do it wrong anyway and I end up having to redo it!

elektra
05-11-2014, 12:27 AM
I have a friend who cuts my hair. I just go to her house though instead of the salon. I sometimes miss the whole blow dry and style but it's usually worth it for me to forgo those because she only charges me $25. I think her regular clients pay $60 for a cut in the salon she works at.

dhano923
05-11-2014, 04:26 AM
Is that an option?? I go to Aveda salons and noticed it's lumped together with other services. Since going curly, I see no point in getting them to style my hair after coloring because they do it wrong anyway and I end up having to redo it!

At my salon it is! You have to book each part, so you tell them "color touch up and blowdry" or whatever. Today I got my color touch up but I didn't blowdry since I had no plans today. My stylist will just dry it a bit with the hair dryer so it's not soaking wet, but doesn't dry it completely or style it.

WatchingThemGrow
05-11-2014, 06:46 AM
I finally found (and followed) someone who does a decent job with my slightly unruly-curly-on-the-underneath but straight on the top hair. She opened her own salon and costs $65 plus tip. Everyone here is $65 unless you go to Great Clips or the Aveda Institute or one of the "walk-in" whackier college salons that are $35ish. The 4-5 times I've tried those, my hair has not looked good or grown out well. I would LOVE to find someone excellent for $45 and reduce the guilt of paying so much!

scriptkitten
05-11-2014, 06:56 AM
$75ish plus tips. If I get colored too the bill is closer to $200. HCOL areas

daisysmom
05-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I think I am a hcol area and I pay $75 but it is a no tipping salon. I get it cut every six weeks. When I get my roots done it is $150 for cut and color. I go religiously every 6 weeks bc I don't like the gray hair to show.

Ms B
05-11-2014, 09:57 AM
$75 per for single process color (including eyebrows; and it takes a double batch of color) with shampoo, deep conditioner, and cut, plus $10 tip in MCOL area. I have very curly hair and lots of hair trauma from my youth, so I have been going to the same stylist for over 20 years.

That said, my stylist moved salons about 2 years ago and I hate the new spot. She is crammed in a side area with two other stylists, the manicurist, and three dryer seats. Plus, the new spot's products are not as high quality. I am thinking about trying the Deva care salon near my house, where I am told it will run over $100 initially.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Tenasparkl
05-11-2014, 10:12 AM
$75ish plus tips. If I get colored too the bill is closer to $200. HCOL areas

Same for me.

AnnieW625
05-11-2014, 10:12 AM
$50 plus a tip for me, and I go every 7-10 weeks. I have never colored my hair. I go to an Aveda salon as do my DH and the kids (kids are $15-20, and DH is $25). Their prices for their location (trendy beach area with $$$$ homes) could be much higher than they are, but they are lower and the owner is super flexible with her stylists who have young kids so I like the way she runs her business. I have been going here consistently for 6 yrs, (took a two year break when a stylist left to go to another Aveda salon, but came back when the old stylist's salon was charging $75 for a wash and blow dry on short hair and my stylist was done with me in 30 minutes, plus I was always double booked with other clients so the wait was kind of crazy). All cuts even the kids include shampoo and blow dry; adults get a neck and head massage with Aveda oils.

Cuts in my area range from $35-75, and most include a shampoo and blow dry. At the few salons I have been to there is rarely a shampoo girl. The pricey Aveda salon I went to had one all of the time, but tips weren't accepted. My current salon sometimes has one, usually a beauty student who is doubling as the receptionist so I will tip her $2-3.

Eta: I have wavy hair that is really thick and doesn't have traditional kinky wave to it, more of a flat wave that loos bad when not cut nicely so I don't mind paying a little more to know it will be done correctly, especially when it is short.

wendibird22
05-11-2014, 12:46 PM
$35 plus tip. I live in MCOL area. The stylist is the owner and I have a pixie cut so the cut does take time and attention. I've gone to her for 13 yr and I don't think she's ever raised the price on me.

Melaine
05-11-2014, 01:37 PM
About $40 for wash, cut and dry, but I typically go only once a year or if I am ready to change my style. DH does a good job for trims, or my sister will do it if she is in town. I love how a good blowout makes my hair look but I am too cheap to do it often. The last I got was right before my sister's wedding and it was great because I barely had to touch it all weekend.

niccig
05-11-2014, 03:05 PM
$65 + tip. I used to color and then blonde highlight to hide the grey streak and it was closer to $300 :47:. I stopped the color and now just accept my grey.

stinkyfeet
05-11-2014, 03:14 PM
I pay $35 for a wash, haircut, and blow dry (without tip). I have longer hair (just above the middle of my back), so I don't feel the need to pay $$$ for haircut (I think that short hair is harder to cut). I live in a higher COL area, but my salon is a trendier Asian salon, and for the most part, they charge less than their American salon counterparts. I get my haircut every 3-6 months.

mommylamb
05-11-2014, 03:46 PM
My last haircut was with someone who had the deva curl certification, so a dry cut and then a shampoo and defuser dry after the cut. It was $85 plus tip, which I considered perfectly acceptable. My hair is long and I don't plan in cutting it again until sometime this summer, which will be at least 6 months since the cut. I do not color my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erosenst
05-11-2014, 08:45 PM
MCOL, $70 for wash, cut, blowdry. Price is same without the blow dry. I have curly, very hard to cut hair. The woman that I now go to specializes in curly hair, and 90%+ of her clients have curly hair.

It doesn't really surprise me that I pay this much as it's comparable to what I paid in my two previous cities for a much better cut. I am shocked, however, that I started taking my now 10 year old there when she was 6. (It's half price til 12 year old, but still...). However, she has similar hair to mine, and the 'kids cut' place hacked it the prior two times, even with a simple cut. Fortunately, DD only goes 2-3 times a year now, and will continue that for a while if she continues to wear her hair long. I only go about 4-5x a year.

I'm totally jealous of people who can go 'pretty much wherever' and get a good cut.

belovedgandp
05-11-2014, 08:58 PM
I have very short hair and get my hair cut every three weeks.

I might be able to stretch it to four, but the schedule is three and we stick with it. The woman who styles it is a family friend in her basement. So I get sink rinsed and cut, but no blow dry or real washing.

I pay her $25 for me and $10 for each of my three kids. The boys are every six weeks (alternate with each other) and DD is whenever it works.

kdeunc
05-12-2014, 08:33 AM
I finally found (and followed) someone who does a decent job with my slightly unruly-curly-on-the-underneath but straight on the top hair. She opened her own salon and costs $65 plus tip. Everyone here is $65 unless you go to Great Clips or the Aveda Institute or one of the "walk-in" whackier college salons that are $35ish. The 4-5 times I've tried those, my hair has not looked good or grown out well. I would LOVE to find someone excellent for $45 and reduce the guilt of paying so much!

You have my same hair!! I have a terrible time finding someone who knows what to do with it! I finally found someone and followed her several places until she quit to be a stay at home mom. I now have a new person who I think is going to work and she is about $55. After the last two butcherings I received (one Ulta Salon, one Great Clips) I would pay whatever she asked! :) I envy those who can walk in anywhere!

anonomom
05-12-2014, 03:53 PM
About $6-7, once every year to 18 months. I like my hair long and every time I've tried an expensive salon it ends up looking the same as at the cheap places, so I don't bother anymore.

citymama
05-12-2014, 04:55 PM
I have short hair that I get cut every 3 months (should be every two, but I'm frugal!). For short hair, you have to go to someone who knows what they are doing. For that I have to pay in the $60-90 range, in my VHCOL (very high cost of living!) area. Our local Aveda salon charges $45 for the very new stylists and I have gone to a couple over the last year. The person I'd like to go to every single time charges $90 but she is very far away, so I go to her once or twice a year and get by with a few $60 hair cuts in between.

For about a year I got fantastic haircuts for $40 because a friend who is an LA stylist moved to the area and would cut hair from her home. That was soooo great! She moved back to LA so I am back to looking for a great stylist.

lizzywednesday
05-12-2014, 09:06 PM
$40 for the cut, includes shampoo/style & blow-dry, does not include tip. Stylist is "junior" stylist, so I save $5 on the base price.

This is at a mall salon in a relatively HCOL area.

arivecchi
05-13-2014, 02:05 PM
I did not think I paid that much given what I hear my friends pay, but it's way above the mean here. My stylist charges $105 and I tip her on top of that. She is awesome though and I would not trust anyone else with my hair. I have so much hair that she spends the entire 45 minutes styling and cutting - there is no time for a blow dry!

trales
05-13-2014, 09:33 PM
I was driving into boston and paying $75 before tip, worth every penny to tame my fuzzy mop. Found someone local, pay $60 before tip. Tried going cheap once, wore a hat or scarf for weeks.

maestramommy
05-13-2014, 10:06 PM
$35 plus tip? I've gone to various salons in the area and that is what they charge for wash cut and dry. My friend cuts my hair now without setting a price, so I just pay her the same.

123LuckyMom
05-13-2014, 10:21 PM
I'm jealous of all your inexpensive hair cuts! I don't always get mine cut, because I'm wearing it long now, but I do roots and foils or some sort of color every 8weeks-ish. With the cut it's about $150. I thought that was cheap. In the suburbs of NYC I was paying DOUBLE that at a midrange, not designer, salon. It wasn't just the price of the cut and color. It was that you had to tip a million people! The washer, the colorist, the stylist, and whoever else was hanging around that day! In the salon I go to now, my one stylist does the whole thing, so there's only one tip. It probably saves me a good $50, and that's on top of the cheaper price for cut and color.

twotimesblue
05-13-2014, 10:59 PM
The very cheapest I can get away with in my VHCOL area is $120 + tip. That would usually be a pretty junior stylist - a good one can easily cost over $300. Friends of mine who get highlights spend an absolute fortune (in the region of $500 every couple of months).

I pay more to get my 4-year-old son's hair cut than many of you lucky ladies do for yourselves! The local kids' salons all charge $30+ for a 5-minute trim.