PDA

View Full Version : Question about applying for credit cards and being a SAHM

MSWR0319
05-11-2014, 10:54 AM
I got a credit card offer in the mail for the $200 gift card after a $$ purchase for the Disney Visa. We are planning a trip early next year, so this would be great. We use credit cards to pay for everything and pay it all off, so I could easily hit the requirements quickly. The problem is that the application asks for employer phone number, position, and salary. I don't have any of those so I'm sure they won't give me a card! I remember a while back there was some discussion about changes like this affecting SAHMs because it doesn't ask household salary. Are there any tips as to how to get approved or am I just out of luck?

Pennylane
05-11-2014, 11:05 AM
I haven't worked for 12 years and never had a problem getting a credit card approved. I don't put an employer but just list our household income. I know I have a really high credit score though so not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Ann

JBaxter
05-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Same as PennyLane. My credit score was 798 last I checked it.

BunnyBee
05-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Call and apply over the phone. My credit score is usually higher than my DH's (by 10-20 pts, lol) even when I'm not earning income. They go by household income IME.

MSWR0319
05-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Call and apply over the phone. My credit score is usually higher than my DH's (by 10-20 pts, lol) even when I'm not earning income. They go by household income IME.

Good idea. Thanks! My score is higher than DH's also by a bit. My credit score is super high also, so I don't think it should be a problem. I was just worried since it was asking for an employer and all the info that came with it.

american_mama
05-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Same as everyone else... I applied for and got an American Express after 10 years as a SAHM. I applied on the phone, said I had no job, was a SAHM, and stated our household income. The representative was trying to help me, but apparently her questions asked her to quantify what my income then was... salary, gift, or other. None of the choices fit and I refused to call it a gift, so I called it other. I was approved.