PDA

View Full Version : Someone hacked my Airbnb acct

94bruin
05-11-2014, 06:21 PM
I received notification this morning that my email changed for my Airbnb account. I do not have any properties listed - just used it once to get lodging for a ski trip.

This person uploaded a picture of "herself" , though I suspect it's fake and listed an apt in Manhattan. It's a beautiful looking 4 bedroom apt for $400/night. As a renter, it seems way too cheap, but there have been at least 5 inquiries.

The only way I know this is because I am getting notifications through their app. I cannot login to my account on my desktop since my login ID is no longer recognized.

I've sent an email to Airbnb, but haven't heard back. I fear these people will be taken for their money and no lodging to show for it.

I cannot change my password or logoin from my app. At least I don't know how.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

elliput
05-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Is there a customer service number in the email notifying you of the email address change? I'd make a phone call on this one.

TwinFoxes
05-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Is there a customer service number in the email notifying you of the email address change? I'd make a phone call on this one.

:yeahthat: There's no "if you didn't make this change do this" option?

94bruin
05-11-2014, 07:27 PM
The email just have me an email address to write to. I can't seem to find a phone number for them. Maybe I'll try to Google their number.

94bruin
05-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Wow they do NOT make it easy. I order to get a phone number thru their desktop site, you need to login. Of course, I can't do that since my login doesn't work. After some searching, I found a 24 hour number listed in the rental agreement of that ski trip property. I just called and the computer told me that it's a 30 mins wait. Ugh. I'm getting ready to go to dinner. This is it not how I want to spend this evening. :(

dogmom
05-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Make another account with a different email and contact them that way? I don't know how this service works, so I don't know if you can see/contact people making inquiries if it's not your listing. You would think the company would want to make this easier.

We had a google account we set up for our old droid pad that got hacked. Since we didn't use it often it was a long time before I noticed. I could not prove it was mine because the verification questions I did not know.

94bruin
05-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I did set up another other acct, but phone number is the same.

I can see all the inquiries through my phone app. On fact, the hacker has responded. I don't want to write anything to tip the hacker off. I just want to deal with airbnb directly.

Yeah, this has soured me on the airbnb experience.

blisstwins
05-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Everyone has been encouraging me to use airbnb for an upcoming trip, but it scares me. I just don't like renting from someone I don't know, who would have keys to the place, etc. Hotels just feel more secure, especially since I am traveling with kids. This makes me feel better about spending a few more dollars to feel more secure.

mikala
05-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Ugh, that's no fun. I haven't used airbnb but do you have any credit cards or PayPal connected to your account?

94bruin
05-11-2014, 11:13 PM
I've rented quite a bit thru VRBO and it's definitely buyer beware. I look at the reviews and you get a sense of what seems legit. The nice thing about airbnb is that airbnb holds the money vs VRBO where it goes directly to the owner.

Luckily I didn't connect my PayPal acct. I used a temporary credit card number to pay for my ski rental. I really don't know why they would use my account since I didn't have a listing nor a PayPal acct setup with it.