PDA

View Full Version : Shmop and other mop recommendations

american_mama
05-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Years ago, someone here asked for mop recommendations. I need it primarily for mopping a vinyl kitchen floor, occasional use on durable oak hardwood floors. I thought it was such a silly question, but now I am asking it, in particular information about the Shmop or Sh-mop. I remember some people here raving about it.

I have always used a traditional squeeze spong mop and never thought they worked well. I briefly used a mop with a removable microfiber cover and thought it was hard to push, always getting too much friction between the floor and microfiber and not cleaning all that great. If I understand right, there is both a Shmop with a terry cloth cover and one with a micrfiber cover? Is the outcome different than if I just scrubbed a floor with the same fabric on my hands and knees?

american_mama
05-13-2014, 11:18 AM
bumping.... I know it's a boring question, but as I recall from the previous thread, some people raved about their mop. Since I need a knew one, I'd like to know what all the fuss is about.

twowhat?
05-13-2014, 01:33 PM
When I asked, here were the responses I got:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?465797-Recommend-a-traditional-mop!&p=3866289&highlight=hardwood#post3866289

One of the options looked intriguing but kind of expensive and I ended up with a Chlorox twist mop...it's a traditional string mop but with microfiber "strings" instead of cotton:
http://www.biglots.com/p/clorox-twist-mop

It's cheap and I've been really happy with how well it cleans. It takes some elbow grease to lift and wring it out, but it gets stuff off the floor. I do a "rinse" mop with just clear water and the water is much less dirty with the rinse, which tells me that the first mopping is actually cleaning the floor.

american_mama
05-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the link. With the Chlorox mop that you like, do you have to wring the mop out with your hands? I don't think I'll like that. The Libman looks like it has a plastic twist wringer.

twowhat?
05-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the link. With the Chlorox mop that you like, do you have to wring the mop out with your hands? I don't think I'll like that. The Libman looks like it has a plastic twist wringer.

No you don't - it has a twist/ratcheting mechanism so you can wring it out without touching the mop head. I have both this mop and the Libman wondermop and I like this one FAR better - the Libman's mop head is just way too anemic. The chlorox mop head is a lot more robust and I feel like the microfiber strings "scrub" better than the microfiber "strips" on the Libman mop.

This is the Libman mop that I have which I let the kids use when they want to "mop". It's not worth getting IMO. - I wish they made a version that had a head twice as full and and the strips looped back on themselves to provide even more surface area.
http://www.amazon.com/LIBMAN-CO-02000-Libman-Wonder/dp/B002YLV7Q4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400007007&sr=8-1&keywords=wondermop

eta: if you have only a very small area to mop, you might like the Libman mop. It wrings out nearly dry and is much lighter. But we have a house with a big downstairs/all hard floors in living areas and I needed something with more oomph.