PDA

View Full Version : Garage sale pricing help!

scrooks
05-12-2014, 11:07 AM
I fully admit that it is hard for me to part with my kids old clothing. I have only recently began getting rid of things so I worry as I price things I am placing too much (sentimental) value on things....a couple of things I am trying to price...
-Oshkosh girls 4t winter coat and matching snow pants, excellent condition....is $10 too much?
-little girls soccer cleats and shin guards...barely worn - $4?
-carters fleece 2 piece winter pjs...definitely worn but in good shape (size 2t) I have 2 pairs ...I was going to price together at $3 for the 2 sets
-little girls dress shoes... Circo brand but barely worn... $2 a pair?

also...is it better to group things or sell each piece individually?

AngB
05-12-2014, 11:11 AM
I am in a LCOL area but those prices sound fine to me, granted I don't go to garage sales that often, but I would pay those prices.

scrooks
05-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Thank you!

Any others that frequent garage sales or have had on recently...how do you label clothing? Or do you just say all shirts $1, all pjs $2....
I am also not sure how to keep clothing that is a "set" together.

mom2binsd
05-12-2014, 05:32 PM
I think selling that stuff in May is tough....if you've got a lot of fall/winter stuff maybe try to gather enough to do a consignment sale.

Snow pant set around here would go for 5.00 tops...but folks are cheap and expect garage sales to be cheap. The other prices sound about right.

ckso
05-12-2014, 05:39 PM
I would safety pin sets together (that's what I usually do for consignment sales). As far as labeling clothing, the best bet is to have a "generic" price say shirts are one price, pants another. If you have any specialty item that you think is worth more, then you can label that individually. If possible, I would box the clothing by size and gender (ex: box of all girls cloths size 4, another box of all girls clothes size 3).

the prices you posted sounds reasonable to be except you're trying to sell winter stuff as summer is approaching. I know for me (and it's starting to get hot nearing 100) I can't even think about winter stuff and would probably not buy it unless you're selling it for way cheap but would absolutely pay those prices in the fall.

Melaine
05-12-2014, 06:43 PM
I think selling that stuff in May is tough....if you've got a lot of fall/winter stuff maybe try to gather enough to do a consignment sale.

Snow pant set around here would go for 5.00 tops...but folks are cheap and expect garage sales to be cheap. The other prices sound about right.

I agree with that exactly. Coats and stuff would go very cheap here, the rest of the prices look perfect to me.