PDA

View Full Version : best replacement for wheat flour?

petesgirl
05-12-2014, 10:30 PM
Im going wheat free to see if it helps DD's tummy and im wondering what will be the best replacement flour for baked goods?

azzeps
05-12-2014, 10:42 PM
I think King Arthur Flour makes one.

azzeps
05-12-2014, 10:43 PM
Or try Bob's Red Mill.

squimp
05-12-2014, 11:23 PM
America's test kitchen liked the King Arthur version the best. They said it was good for baking because it was a mix of tapioca, potato and rice flours.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/gluten-free-multi-purpose-flour

http://www.npr.org/2014/03/20/291873792/test-kitchen-have-your-gluten-free-cake-and-love-eating-it-too

calebsmama03
05-13-2014, 12:18 AM
Honestly, there really is not a good standard wheat replacement you can just sub in.. Tapioca is great but blends heavy in it will make some recipes really rubbery and gooey tasting. :( Your best bet is to use tried and true recipes and blends that are specifically formulated for GF. I wasted SO much money in the beginning making stuff that tasted like garbage. Gluten free on a shoestring is a great reference blog and she has several blends she recommends. I tend to like Pamela's bread mix and her baking/pancake mix for quick stuff but it isn't a perfect sub in recipes (in a pinch I've subbed it in cookies and it was ok but had to add way more flour and kept test cooking 1 cookie at a time till I got the right consistency), even the stuff called "cup for cup", which is intended to sub into wheat recipes, isn't a great sub without significant modifications to the recipe. You're setting yourself up for disappointment and frustration if you try to find a quick gf blend to sub into regular recipes. :(

I will say though, for the love of all things holy, DO NOT use Bobs red mill. It is mostly garbanzo bean flour and it is positively VILE tasting in most recipes. Now, subbing it into a savory dish that uses flour to thicken a sauce might hide the taste but I used it for muffins (recipe right on the bag, banana something muffins) and I ended up tossing them. Even my "I eat anything" DH gagged. I thought i could use up the bag by blending it with other flours but it was always detectable in every recipe, even cornbread that had only 1/3c flour in it! It has a VERY strong flavor and someone coming off wheat flour is very unlikely to enjoy it. I've been gf for 2 years and have eaten my fair share of good and really bad gf and I still cannot stomach bobs red mill. Blech.

Simon
05-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Are you going gluten free or just wheat? I've had some good luck with oat flour in recipes, although there is risk of cross-contamination from wheat so its not always considered 100% gluten free. In our case, I decided not to worry about that level of exposure.

wendibird22
05-13-2014, 10:31 AM
I've used King Arthurs. There's also a product called "cup for cup" that I know some people have used and liked. I think it really depends on the recipe. Some flours do better in baked goods than others. Just need a thickener? Need a baked good to rise? Need a binder? I would look at the recipe you are wanting to substitute the flour for and search online for GF versions of the recipe and see what they use.

Katigre
05-13-2014, 10:41 AM
I cook grain free using coconut flour, almond flour, and tapioca flour. I use recipes specifically for those flours bc they behave differently than wheat.

I tend to avoid gluten free flours and mixes because I am cautious about rice products due to the arsenic load.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

weech
05-13-2014, 10:41 AM
For real baking, I use Jule's Gluten Free flour. For healthier options, I use a combination of almond and coconut flours.

AnnieW625
05-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Honestly, there really is not a good standard wheat replacement you can just sub in.. Tapioca is great but blends heavy in it will make some recipes really rubbery and gooey tasting. :( Your best bet is to use tried and true recipes and blends that are specifically formulated for GF. I wasted SO much money in the beginning making stuff that tasted like garbage. Gluten free on a shoestring is a great reference blog and she has several blends she recommends. I tend to like Pamela's bread mix and her baking/pancake mix for quick stuff but it isn't a perfect sub in recipes (in a pinch I've subbed it in cookies and it was ok but had to add way more flour and kept test cooking 1 cookie at a time till I got the right consistency), even the stuff called "cup for cup", which is intended to sub into wheat recipes, isn't a great sub without significant modifications to the recipe. You're setting yourself up for disappointment and frustration if you try to find a quick gf blend to sub into regular recipes. :(

I will say though, for the love of all things holy, DO NOT use Bobs red mill. It is mostly garbanzo bean flour and it is positively VILE tasting in most recipes. Now, subbing it into a savory dish that uses flour to thicken a sauce might hide the taste but I used it for muffins (recipe right on the bag, banana something muffins) and I ended up tossing them. Even my "I eat anything" DH gagged. I thought i could use up the bag by blending it with other flours but it was always detectable in every recipe, even cornbread that had only 1/3c flour in it! It has a VERY strong flavor and someone coming off wheat flour is very unlikely to enjoy it. I've been gf for 2 years and have eaten my fair share of good and really bad gf and I still cannot stomach bobs red mill. Blech.

Yeah that! The Bob's Red Mill is nasty! I don't do much gluten free baking, but when I do I like Gluten Free Pantry, and Pamela's mixes. TBH it is easier for me just to not eat wheat products than make or eat the alternatives sold, except for pasta, which isn't that expensive.