PDA

View Full Version : Organized activities for backyard birthday party?

alootikki
05-13-2014, 10:29 AM
We usually have birthday parties at Little Gym (or something similar), but this year I'm thinking of having DS' 4th bday party at home in the backyard, and just inviting his preschool classmates. We have a bouncy house, the plastic "roller coaster", and other little ride-on toys. The party would be 1.5-2 hours and end with cake. Would you also have some kind of organized activity? If so, any suggestions? :)

AnnieW625
05-13-2014, 10:45 AM
All you need is a bounce house, and the ride on toys. The kids will tire themselves out and it is nice because the parents can chat and have a nice time as well. Snack wise we have fruit, and something like pirate booty or fish crackers. This year for DD2's party (late afternoon) we served pizza. The party went a little longer than 2 hrs., but that was fine.

A bounce house is the best $75 or so you will spend on a birthday party!

SnuggleBuggles
05-13-2014, 10:46 AM
When ds1 was 4yo, we did a scavenger hunt, parents helped. It was like a treasure hunt with a map and clues. We have also done pinatas (pull string at that age). Water balloons are pretty fun but warn people kids could get wet. :)

But, I'd consider one real activity (a 10-15 minute one) and the rest free play and cake. :)

pastrygirl
05-13-2014, 12:22 PM
We usually have a piƱata and an obstacle course.

jenmcadams
05-13-2014, 12:40 PM
We do a ton of backyard parties - we often rent a bounce/water slide thing. If it's going to be warm, you could have kids wear swimsuits and do sprinklers/squirters. We sometimes do some relay races, we've done minute to win it type games and we've also done a doughnut eating contest (the kind where you hang the doughnuts by a string). We love backyard parties :)3596

Seitvonzu
05-13-2014, 12:53 PM
i think pinatas are pretty much always a winner :) water balloons are super fun too but goes QUICK :) have a great party!

elbenn
05-13-2014, 01:36 PM
We have done treasure hunts with clues and the kids love it.

truly scrumptious
05-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Treasure/egg hunts, (air) balloon fights/chases, bubble chases, we even did an angry birds structure made of cardboard boxes with big green balloon pigs which they threw balls at to knock down.