PDA

View Full Version : Indian food question - biryhani "sauce"?

twowhat?
05-13-2014, 09:31 PM
DH and I ordered dinner from our regular Indian restaurant...but they gave us the wrong order. We have a lamb biryhani (sp?) and it comes with a dark brown something. I have no idea what it is - it's saucy in consistency, has a layer of oil floating on top. It's savory (not sour). Is this supposed to be drizzled on top of the biryhani? Cuz that's what I did with it, LOL. But I want to know what it is!

truly scrumptious
05-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Biryani is a mixed rice dish (usually cooked with meat or vegetables). What you're describing is probably a totally separate dish which was ordered with it. Sounds delicious, though! Maybe call the restaurant -they'll probably remember because the other customer probably complained at not getting their saucy deliciousness.

MamaInMarch
05-14-2014, 09:40 AM
I have only ever been served raita with my biryani. The brown sauce sounds yummy, though. I could eat Indian food every meal, every day.

khalloc
05-14-2014, 09:43 AM
When we order Indian we always get a little side of sauce (like in a small container like what you would put ketchup in at a diner). Maybe they just throw that sauce in the bag for certain orders? I always order Chicken Tikka Saag and we always get some side of sauce that I never use.

wellyes
05-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Was it the tamarind chutney? Very common condiment especially if you ordered any apps. It's sweet. "The ketchup of the east"
http://showmethecurry.com/pickles-chutneys/tamarind-chutney-imli-chutney.html

momkay
05-14-2014, 10:29 AM
DH and I ordered dinner from our regular Indian restaurant...but they gave us the wrong order. We have a lamb biryhani (sp?) and it comes with a dark brown something. I have no idea what it is - it's saucy in consistency, has a layer of oil floating on top. It's savory (not sour). Is this supposed to be drizzled on top of the biryhani? Cuz that's what I did with it, LOL. But I want to know what it is!

Biriyani is served with raita (which is a yogurt based sauce) and mirch ka salan (which is a special brown sauce/gravy served with biriyani) and it is supposed to be drizzled on top of the biriyani

twowhat?
05-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Biriyani is served with raita (which is a yogurt based sauce) and mirch ka salan (which is a special brown sauce/gravy served with biriyani) and it is supposed to be drizzled on top of the biriyani

Thank you!!! That's it! It came with raita and I knew what that was and what to do with it but I had never seen the brown gravy. And I did the right thing with it! Yay, LOL!!

TwinFoxes
05-14-2014, 01:05 PM
So hungry reading this!