PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here doesn't let DC go on the school field trip?

moonsky
05-13-2014, 09:32 PM
I can't chaperone DC on the trip this year. I am afraid that she might get lost. Am I worried too much?

kristenk
05-13-2014, 09:33 PM
How old is your DD? Where is the field trip? How many chaperones are on the trip?

ETA: Is your DD prone to running off?

In general, I'm pretty good with elementary school field trips.

trales
05-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Scan the news, kids really don't get lost on the trips. She will be okay. It will be hard on you, but she will be fine and will have fun.

ZeeBaby
05-13-2014, 09:38 PM
I was freaking out about DD1 going on her first field trip. She is in K. It turned out fine. DH worked about 30 mins away and stopped in around lunch time, but he couldn't stay the whole day. It turned out fine. Send your DD. she will be fine.

SnuggleBuggles
05-13-2014, 09:43 PM
I've always sent my kids on field trips with no worries.

Momit
05-13-2014, 09:47 PM
I would send her. Field trips are fun!

niccig
05-13-2014, 09:47 PM
I get being worried, I was too the first time DS went without me being a chaperone. He was fine. He's done many field trips since, even ones as part of summer camp. Schools, camps know how to run these things. Tell DD to stay close to the adult she's been assigned to, stay close to her friends. If you know a parent who is going, ask them to keep an eye on her.

I'm going on DS's field trip next week. It's one adult to 4-5 3rd graders. I'm going to be exhausted by end of day, but it's so much fun for the kids. DS loves field trips and riding the school bus - it's the only time they get to ride it here.

marinkitty
05-13-2014, 09:58 PM
I just went on a kindy field trip today. Down to the city to a museum for four hours, round trip. I have five boys in my charge, the other moms had four. One of my five is a kid who is a wanderer, but I knew that and made sure to keep my eye on him and pull him back in with the group if he started to veer off. It was totally manageable and I never felt like there was any chance of someone getting lost despite the fact that there were many other field trip groups there. The two teachers were totally on top of making sure everyone was there at the start and finish and keeping all the chaperones organized. I think this is pretty typical, so unless the venue is high risk or you have some reason to think the ratios won't be adequate or your child has special needs, I would let him/her go.

Pennylane
05-13-2014, 10:34 PM
On the last kinder field trip at our school they had so many volunteers that my friend said it was annoying, 1 per every 2 children!

Ann

Piglet
05-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Kids behave MUCH better for teachers than they do for parents. Let her go... let her go...

JBaxter
05-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Let her go. in my 23 yrs of parenting Ive never know a parent to keep a child from a field trip. Ive been involved in a lot of field trips with my 4

MMMommy
05-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Definitely let her go. I think field trips are wonderful learning opportunities outside of the classroom.

AshleyAnn
05-14-2014, 12:04 AM
On the last kinder field trip at our school they had so many volunteers that my friend said it was annoying, 1 per every 2 children!

Ann

Yikes! Helicopter mom heavy class I feel bad for the teachers.

Unless there are extreme circumstances I would send your child - its a good lesson on independence.

smilequeen
05-14-2014, 12:33 AM
My kids would be devastated if they had to miss field trips.

They go whether I can or not.

PZMommy
05-14-2014, 12:56 AM
In my ten years of teaching, I've never had a problem on a field trip. Even the worst behaved kids pull it together on trips. The worst injury I've ever had a student get is a scraped knee. I've taken kids with epi pens, insulin, medication, etc. Teachers are well equipped to handle field trips. I'd let them go!

khalloc
05-14-2014, 12:56 AM
Yes, you are worried too much.

klwa
05-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Let her go. She'll be fine. If it's anything like the field trips I've been on, she'll be one of 3-4 in her group, with a parent or teacher watching after her.

anonomom
05-14-2014, 07:32 AM
As a former child whose mom wouldn't let me go on field trips, I say let her go. It really stinks to be the outsider when everyone else has had this fun experience.

What are you afraid is going to happen.

hillview
05-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Let her go. She'll be fine. If it's anything like the field trips I've been on, she'll be one of 3-4 in her group, with a parent or teacher watching after her.:yeahthat:

icunurse
05-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Let her go. She'll be fine. If it's anything like the field trips I've been on, she'll be one of 3-4 in her group, with a parent or teacher watching after her.

I am a chaperone for an all day zoo trip with first graders this week. For this age, they only assign 2-3 kids per chaperones and two parents go together with their groups. I am far more paranoid about the other kids than I am for my own child. I don't know which kids I will have, but I can assure you that they will be under close watch.

egoldber
05-14-2014, 08:51 AM
I would let her go and not worry at all. :)

I did worry a little about younger DD because she is extremely impulsive with her ADHD. But I have always been selected as one of the field trip chaperones for her classes. I do sometimes wonder if this is "random" selection process or if parents of kids with identified issues are often the ones selected as chaperones. I have noticed that at my older DD's school as well.

elliput
05-14-2014, 09:06 AM

I did worry a little about younger DD because she is extremely impulsive with her ADHD. But I have always been selected as one of the field trip chaperones for her classes. I do sometimes wonder if this is "random" selection process or if parents of kids with identified issues are often the ones selected as chaperones. I have noticed that at my older DD's school as well.

:yeahthat:
When DD (mild/moderate autism) was in PreK, K, and 1st grade, I would go on the field trips as I knew she had to have 1-1 supervision at all times. I did skip out on the concert field trip in 1st grade and my DD was a bit unnerved at first when she realized I wasn't there, but she had her para with her. She has been doing just fine on field trip in 2nd & 3rd grade without me, as she knows that she is expected to stay with the group.

mom2binsd
05-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Never ever crossed my mind. Both of my kids talk on and on about going on field trips and they are always well supervised. I'd hate to deprive a child of that wonderful experience and I agree with others, please let her go and it will be fine.

div_0305
05-14-2014, 10:11 AM

I don't think it's random either! Of course, at our school some of the parents have specifically said, "please let me go, and save another parent from not knowing how to chaperone my child." I don't mind when I'm not selected as a chaperone due to these special requests. OP, I don't know the age of your child, but schools generally have more chaperones than necessary, and if you know a parent going on the trip, you could always ask the teacher to assign your child to that person.

nfowife
05-14-2014, 10:53 AM
I have never not allowed my child in a field trip. If a child has special needs then usually the teacher will take that child if their parent is not there. No worries!

lizzywednesday
05-14-2014, 11:08 AM
I went on field trips every year from Kindergarten through 8th grade.

My dad was a chaperone once - I was in 2nd grade & still on antibiotics while recovering from strep, so needed him to hold my meds.

I was fine. Nobody got lost. Even on the hike through the woods with our 1st grade teacher who MOVED like all Hell was breaking loose.

bisous
05-14-2014, 11:29 AM
I actually did keep DS1 home from a field trip. It was Jr. K and at a huge, crowded pumpkin patch that is just NUTS in October. I was invited to attend but because my DS1 has severe ADHD, I knew it would be crazy and not fun. With DS2 I don't worry at all. He's not a runner and he's not impulsive. Normal supervision is more than adequate for him. :)

heatherlynn
05-14-2014, 11:52 AM
yes, you are worrying too much

AnnieW625
05-14-2014, 11:56 AM
I've always sent my kids on field trips with no worries.

:yeahthat: field trips are a must IMHO even if my kid was kicking and screaming I'd be putting them on that bus in a heartbeat.

maestramommy
05-14-2014, 01:59 PM
Our school does field trips starting in K. I've always let my kids, go, and have not been able to chaperone yet. The K trip is to an apple orchard 30 minutes away (at least). They always have a great time!

Indianamom2
05-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Absolutely let her go. I understand being scared, but she will truly be just fine!

Globetrotter
05-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Both my kids are rule followers and very compliant with OTHER people, so I had no worries. However, if your kid tends to run off or has some other major behavioral issues, I can understand your concern. Can you ask her to be grouped with someone you know (chaperone)? Trust me.. most parents are a little concerned in the early years, but there are rules to reduce the chance of something happening. It is more likely to happen on a family outing!

YouAreTheFocus
05-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Yes, let her go! My DS is in preschool and they have done several field trips without mishap--and these are 3-4-5 yr olds!

123LuckyMom
05-14-2014, 07:48 PM
Definitely let her go! My son has been on multiple preschool field trips, even as a runaway toddler! The teachers and other chaperones are very capable of keeping track of the kids. If your child has a tendency to wander or run, just make sure the teacher knows to keep careful track if her.

doberbrat
05-14-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm guessing that by this point in the year, if your child is a wanderer the teacher knows and will take appropriate steps. I've been on field trips where there are MORE than 1 parent per 2 kids! it is a bit odd. I usually go b/c I can and b/c dd1 has an epi pen and I feel better being there to monitor things. But the last field trip and for tomorrow, I've declined attending. Last one they were on the bus for 1h, at the museum for 1.5h and another hr back on the bus. NO THANKS!! because of the epi pen, dd1 was with her teacher and it was all fine.

if you're REALLY worried, then stick a piece of masking tape w/your phone # in your child's shoe and tell her its for emergencies just in case she gets lost.

StantonHyde
05-14-2014, 11:02 PM
My kids both did summer camp in day care where they went on at least one off-site field trip a week--taking public transportation and switching buses etc. At the age of 4 or 5! They had a 1:4 staffing ratio. It was great--they all had a blast and my kids learned a lot about taking the campus shuttles/city bus/trains.

dogmom
05-15-2014, 09:37 AM
I was in a Mom's group once with my first. A first time mom with a 9 month hold still had never let the baby stay with anyone else, even though she had relatives she trusted, and her husband was hoping they could at least go out to dinner together. She was incredulous that she could do this could expected of her. We all were, "You need to think about your marriage also." Then the group leader looked at her and said, "You know in under 5 years you will be putting on a bus to school, right?" Mom looked shell shocked at the prospect.

How many years until driving? First date? High School? College? We all want our child to be independent and a productive adult, and it's not like it's switch that get's thrown when they turn 18. All these things that test us, stress us out, and yes, can be very scary and maybe dangerous at times, are part of growing up. These things are just going to keep coming up, you need to figure out how you are going to deal with it. If going to people and saying, this is OK, right? Works for you, do it. But let her go to the field trip. ;)

ckso
05-15-2014, 10:07 AM
I would let her go. When Dd was in preschool they had a field trip that I wasn't able to go and I was worried too. Part of that was because the transportation was parent volunteers in their personal vehicles so I was concerned about putting her in a stranger's (to me) plus I didn't know how well of a driver that person was. Anyways I knew she would be devastated if she didn't get to go so I did. She was totally fine

In grade school where she would be in a school bus with the teacher I would let her go in a heartbeat.

Honestly I think schools are probably more worried about losing someone than you are. In our current TK class the teacher is constantly counting the kids to make sure no one is missing. She knows exactly who is a "trouble child" and she takes extra care to watch the ones whose parents were not able to chaperone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
05-15-2014, 10:17 AM
I would let her go. When Dd was in preschool they had a field trip that I wasn't able to go and I was worried too. Part of that was because the transportation was parent volunteers in their personal vehicles so I was concerned about putting her in a stranger's (to me) plus I didn't know how well of a driver that person was. Anyways I knew she would be devastated if she didn't get to go so I did. She was totally fine

In grade school where she would be in a school bus with the teacher I would let her go in a heartbeat.

Honestly I think schools are probably more worried about losing someone than you are. In our current TK class the teacher is constantly counting the kids to make sure no one is missing. She knows exactly who is a "trouble child" and she takes extra care to watch the ones whose parents were not able to chaperone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaperoning stresses me out but I take it darned seriously. If you send your kiddo on a field trip, I will work hard al day to keep them together and safe. :)

AngB
05-15-2014, 10:31 AM
My kids both did summer camp in day care where they went on at least one off-site field trip a month--taking public transportation and switching buses etc. At the age of 4 or 5! They had a 1:4 staffing ratio. It was great--they all had a blast and my kids learned a lot about taking the campus shuttles/city bus/trains.

Now this, I actually wouldn't do if I could help it, but only because as a SAHM I have seen MANY daycares and summer camps in our area over the years and they all pretty much suck- kids running everywhere pretty much unsupervised, teachers/counselors sitting on the bench chatting and not watching the kids, etc. There was a preschool field trip where we happened to be the other day that was well done but that is the one and only time I have seen an outing in our area with kids that were actually being supervised--and there were A LOT of parent volunteers involved so I doubt they did regular outings.

That said, I would absolutely let her do an elementary aged field trip. I don't know if I would for preschool only because of what I've seen. (And actually, the good preschools in our area only do field trips with parents anyway which is probably why I've mostly only seen bad ones out.)

Let her go, let her go, let her gooo!!! (Haha and I've actually not even seen that dang movie yet.)

StantonHyde
05-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Now this, I actually wouldn't do if I could help it, but only because as a SAHM I have seen MANY daycares and summer camps in our area over the years and they all pretty much suck- kids running everywhere pretty much unsupervised, teachers/counselors sitting on the bench chatting and not watching the kids, etc. There was a preschool field trip where we happened to be the other day that was well done but that is the one and only time I have seen an outing in our area with kids that were actually being supervised--and there were A LOT of parent volunteers involved so I doubt they did regular outings.

You get what you pay for. Our day care was awesome and very involved with the kids. 1:4 ratio is excellent. And my kids learned a LOT. I had no problem leaving my kids with those women--many of whom babysat for us. And a few even have stayed with the kids for a week while DH and I went to Europe. I trusted those care givers wayyyy more than I did my inlaws!!

Now that they are older and in summer camp--they go 2x a week on field trips. Nobody has gotten lost or injured and they have a great time. And they don't have a 1:4 ratio! In this one, they are all on one bus to/from the activity.

SnuggleBuggles
05-15-2014, 11:05 AM
You get what you pay for. Our day care was awesome and very involved with the kids. 1:4 ratio is excellent. And my kids learned a LOT. I had no problem leaving my kids with those women--many of whom babysat for us. And a few even have stayed with the kids for a week while DH and I went to Europe. I trusted those care givers wayyyy more than I did my inlaws!!

Now that they are older and in summer camp--they go 2x a week on field trips. Nobody has gotten lost or injured and they have a great time. And they don't have a 1:4 ratio! In this one, they are all on one bus to/from the activity.

I'd have sent my kids too. :) SOunds great!

My SIL used to be the director of a big daycare centers in DC. She had her 2 and 3yos out on walks around the city every day. By 4-5yo, they were doing public transportation. A well run center knows how to execute those sorts of things well. :)

YouAreTheFocus
05-15-2014, 12:34 PM
I'd have sent my kids too. :) SOunds great!

My SIL used to be the director of a big daycare centers in DC. She had her 2 and 3yos out on walks around the city every day. By 4-5yo, they were doing public transportation. A well run center knows how to execute those sorts of things well. :)

I just wanted to give a :yeahthat: to StantonHyde & SnuggleBuggles. My DS is also at a preschool that provides great experiences. A couple weeks back they went to the symphony--getting there entailed a 3/4 mi walk to public transit & a transfer. Afterwards they went & had a picnic in a park they had noticed on the way in, then repeated the whole transportation route back to school for a very late nap. In the next few months they'll be going to an art gallery and a science museum, also on public transit. And these are kids as young as 3! I love it and wish our DC2 could have the same experience, unfortunately we're planning to move.

lmwbasye
05-15-2014, 12:53 PM
We're not even allowed to go on trips here. Send her. She'll be fine.

sste
05-15-2014, 01:09 PM
My son went on field trips starting at 2 y/o in daycare. I went on many but not all of them, they had a walking rope system and a lot of parent volunteers, kids were over the moon excited.

By kindy and beyond, my children would probably try to call cps on me if I kept them home from a field trip. Field trips are very safe compared to many other school activities - - transport to school in car, PE class, even choking on the cafeteria food!

I would def. let the child go AND I would try not to say anything or behave anxiously. Kids will infer that there is danger and be anxious if they see your anxiety. It is hard I know!

wendibird22
05-15-2014, 01:15 PM
I have no concerns with my 6yo and 4yo DDs going on field trips.

mommylamb
05-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Not only do I think you should let her go, but I also think you should make a point not to go on every field trip.

At both DS1's elementary school and at DS2's preschool (I only know this because DS1 used to be at the preschool when he was younger, as DS2 is only 2 and they aren't doing field trips with them at this age), they have sign up sheets with a limited number of spaces for parent chaperones. I have never once been able to chaperone a field trip because by the time I pick up, the spaces are all filled. Often by the same people over and over again. I will be honest, I resent it a great deal. I don't want to cause a too many cooks in the kitchen scenario, so I let it go. But I don't think it's fair that the same people get to go over and over again and deny others the opportunity to have that experience with their children.

egoldber
05-15-2014, 01:38 PM
they have sign up sheets with a limited number of spaces for parent chaperones

Wow. That's an odd system. The schools we have been in you send in a form or an e-mail to the teacher and then they select from the pool of people who express interest.

I am actually conflicted on preschool field trips because the transportation issues are a lot more complicated. At least for me in suburbia. :) It's easier in an urban environment where they can take walk or take public transport. I was actually happy that my kid's preschool did not do any field trips other than visiting the fire station next door.

KrisM
05-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Wow. That's an odd system. The schools we have been in you send in a form or an e-mail to the teacher and then they select from the pool of people who express interest.

I am actually conflicted on preschool field trips because the transportation issues are a lot more complicated. At least for me in suburbia. :) It's easier in an urban environment where they can take walk or take public transport. I was actually happy that my kid's preschool did not do any field trips other than visiting the fire station next door.

The draw names here, too. Plus, in the upper grades once you go on one, you're out of the draw for the rest, unless there aren't enough volunteers. I put my name in for the first 3 in 4th this year and only went on the 3rd one. I was happy my odds increased ass the year went :).

Our preschool was in a little town, so all their trips were walking. It freaked me out at first - 4 adults and 16 kids walking around a downtown. Small or not, crossing streets, etc worried me. But, they are fantastic with it and the kids loved it.

SnuggleBuggles
05-15-2014, 02:23 PM
I would def. let the child go AND I would try not to say anything or behave anxiously. Kids will infer that there is danger and be anxious if they see your anxiety. It is hard I know!

That's what was on my mind yesterday. I think it would be unfair for a parent to pass on their fears and anxiety. I do break that rule w my snake fear but everything else I keep inside bc I don't want to burden my kids.

dogmom
05-15-2014, 02:34 PM

We fill in a form, I'm not sure what happens from there. I would hope they try to spread it around. However, I'm sure there are some teacher preferences of wanting people you know come with you on a field trip. I find the whole volunteering at the school thing someone uneven. I've been a room parent and feel like I don't know how this works all the time and certainly there have been years I never got a chance to volunteer because the person organizing couldn't quite wrap their head around the fact I didn't have a fixed schedule. In addition forms don't quite make it home to volunteer, you aren't seen around school as much because of work or whatever, and a parent tends not to know all the inside stuff at a school. As the kids get older it seems not to matter as much. But it's hard to shake the whole access issue in general.

My issue is I find out the time less than a month in advance, and since I do 8 weeks of schedule at a time, and it goes in 4 weeks before that, it's sheer luck if I have the day off. I can't imagine they don't know for than a couple weeks in advance for field trips, but whatever.

sste
05-15-2014, 03:06 PM
We also have the fill in a form offering to volunteer chaperone. I wasn't chosen this year despite indicating availability for all field trips. My DS def. noticed and commented to me on it. Am I missing some aspect of school etiquette? On my to do list as soon as I meet DS's new first grade teacher is to tell her that I am very (very) excited to parent chaperone and that I was not selected at all in kindy so to please keep me in mind for first grade trips. And possibly to follow up with an email with my full contact info in the event she needs to contact me to chaperone or needs an 11th hour chaperone.

Is this not done?? I didn't think twice about it -- in fact I promised DS I would bring it up with new teacher!

JBaxter
05-15-2014, 03:20 PM
In the schools my boys have gone to if you volunteer in the classroom / teacher help you are given preferential treatment when signing up for field trips. You also had to have a back ground check before volunteering.

SnuggleBuggles
05-15-2014, 03:22 PM
We also have the fill in a form offering to volunteer chaperone. I wasn't chosen this year despite indicating availability for all field trips. My DS def. noticed and commented to me on it. Am I missing some aspect of school etiquette? On my to do list as soon as I meet DS's new first grade teacher is to tell her that I am very (very) excited to parent chaperone and that I was not selected at all in kindy so to please keep me in mind for first grade trips. And possibly to follow up with an email with my full contact info in the event she needs to contact me to chaperone or needs an 11th hour chaperone.

Is this not done?? I didn't think twice about it -- in fact I promised DS I would bring it up with new teacher!

To be honest, that might be overly eager and might be off putting to the teacher. I think it's certainly ok to express it once but likely wouldn't follow up (though I'd consider following up at a regularly scheduled conference).

But, here, forms go home for each field trip about 2-3 weeks ahead of time and you check if you are interested/ able to chaperone. So, you have a chance to put your name down for each trip. I've been picked for about half that I said I could help with.

I organize volunteers for the school and really prefer if people use official sign up forms vs verbally telling me or random emails...I admit that if requests hit me when I'm not expecting them, it might leave my brain and if might not remember to follow up.

ett
05-15-2014, 03:24 PM

Chaperones are chosen at random but there are some kids who need to have their parent chaperone due to medical reasons, so those parents automatically get chosen. That means the number of other chaperones needed get reduced. And the younger grades usually get more volunteers. In fifth grade here, any parent who wants to chaperone gets to go on the trip. I guess it's because it's our last opportunity.

marinkitty
05-15-2014, 05:08 PM
At our elementary school we do sign-ups for all the classroom parties and field trips at Parent Go-To-School Night in the fall. The room moms always tell people to sign up for no more than one of each to give everyone a chance to participate. Middle school seems to work differently - DD's teacher usually sent an email at the same time as the permission slips went out asking for chaperone volunteers. Those spots are more coveted because getting into the middle school during the day is tougher. The principal stands at the front door on the first day turning parents away - it made me laugh b/c around here parents are all over the elementary schools all day any day. It was totally the parents needing to be turned back. The kids didn't care at all. The moms stood around looking like lost sheep not getting to walk their child in and see their classroom and locker etc.

sste
05-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Thanks for advice! In our school, we all fill out a form and the teacher chooses. There are just more volunteers than slots and frankly I suspect I may have been dinged because I was one of those enormously pregnant types from about month 4. I will def. fill out the form next year, was planning to, I just thought I would tell the teacher how much I want to participate in person as well and explain that I was hoping to chaperone in kindy. I didn't take any special measures this year because I get that there are not enough slots for everyone. But next year I would like a turn, at least in advance of someone who chaperoned the previous year. Who would have thought I would end up reduced to parent chaperone stalker!!

FWIW, I volunteer in the classroom though I don't think the teacher selects based on that. We don't have regular, same parent weekly classroom volunteers. The parents sign up 1-2X per year to run a special activity, book reading, lesson of the parent's choosing. Both DH and I took off from work to teach a section on digestion, complete with apples and vinegar in ziploc bags for the kids to mush like their stomach grinding and an interpretive dance of gastro intestinal movement by yours truly sste!! I have paid my dues here!

anonomom
05-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Just wondering -- am I the only one here who has NO interest in chaperoning field trips? I don't even like taking my own kids to the museum/farmer's market/zoo/whatever, and I really don't want to be responsible for other people's kids. Am I that weird?

niccig
05-15-2014, 05:57 PM
DS is in 3rd grade. The first field trip there were no parent chaperones. The 2nd is coming up and DS's teacher emailed several parents asking if they could chaperone. It wasn't sent out to everyone. The parents names I recognize all volunteer in library and class time where we run the activity. I got the feeling the invitation was extended to us as we know the kids and the teacher knows we can handle a group of 5x3rd graders. We have to be in charge of taking the group around the science center separately from everyone else. I might be wrong on her reasoning, but I could see in this situation she needs to know the parents will be able to maintain control.

egoldber
05-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Just wondering -- am I the only one here who has NO interest in chaperoning field trips? I don't even like taking my own kids to the museum/farmer's market/zoo/whatever, and I really don't want to be responsible for other people's kids. Am I that weird?

No you're not. I would personally prefer NOT to go, but my kids beg me to. So I have volunteered for each kid once a year. Sometimes I am not able to because of work, so I don't volunteer. But I have noticed that almost every time I have volunteered, I have been selected. There are a few occasions where I was not one of the "lucky winners", but mostly I am. Which is part of the reason I am thinking it isn't really random. Last year at older DD's 6th grade field trip to Gettysburg, I noticed that the parent volunteers all had kids with special needs and/or severe food allergies.

ETA: And I am most certainly not in the school ever day!

sste
05-15-2014, 06:07 PM
Hmm, maybe it was the interpretive dance of digestion that dinged me . . .

egoldber
05-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Please tell me you have a Youtube link???????

bigsis
05-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Scan the news, kids really don't get lost on the trips. She will be okay. It will be hard on you, but she will be fine and will have fun.
:yeahthat:

vejemom
05-15-2014, 08:05 PM

I'm right there with you, hon. Fortunately our school has a group of parents that seem to sign up before each trip is even announced. A male friend of mine is a cop, and has young kids. He just went on a field trip, and was genuinely perplexed why he was assigned the hard kids. Uh, cause they know that you'll keep them from running off? LOL

ZeeBaby
05-15-2014, 10:07 PM
DD1's last field trip had so many parents it was 2 to 1 ratio. The next field trip they limited to only 15 parents (small school) with staff it will be 1 to 3. The school does sign up first come first served. It is always a mad rush the first day they are accepting chaperones

Globetrotter
05-16-2014, 12:42 AM

haha I'm glad you said it! There is nothing more torturous, IMO, to escort a bunch of rowdy little kids in a public place where they might run off. I do it only when no one else volunteers, but I do like to escort them to see plays since they are at least sitting down, though the last one was a nightmare as it was hard to find parking and we ended up circling the lots at the college, then we couldn't find the right theatre.

Otoh, I do enjoy chaperoning for Girl Scouts and my kid's friends as I enjoy their company.

i always find it amusing that people would fight to chaperone anything :) but my kids are VERY compliant so I don't worry about them too much.

123LuckyMom
05-16-2014, 07:46 AM

Yes, Sste! I really, really need to see that!!!

And I would NOT want to chaperone a field trip, but I would grudgingly try if my child repeatedly begged. He's been asking me to come read to his class. I don't really want to, but I will.

bisous
05-16-2014, 08:26 AM

Chaperoning is not my favorite. I agree with you, I much prefer bringing just my own kids or the ones that I pick on the field trips but I do like chaperoning. My kids LOVE it and I like seeing them in their element at school. It may not be my most favorite hours spent with DC but it is worth it to me. I can absolutely see why others might not like it though!

Gracemom
05-16-2014, 09:25 AM
I am kind of dreading chaperoning my DS's first grade class field trip to the zoo next Friday. I have to ride on the bus with the kids (ugh!) and stay from 9-2:30 with them. I just hope it's not too hot and I don't get the runners! One girl came up to me and asked if I was going to go with them, since I chaperoned the fall field trip to the Outdoor Learning Center. That made me feel good. I enjoy getting to know the other kids, and I feel fortunate that I can volunteer right now. I'm looking for a job, so I know my time doing so much volunteer work is limited. Our school asks for volunteers, then pick randomly if there are too many than they have room for. Last year they allowed unlimited volunteers for the new science museum, and I only had 2 kids in my group. Now that was fun!

Tenasparkl
05-16-2014, 09:30 AM
My DD is in K and had her first field trip recently. I was picked to ride on the bus with a few other parents, but others that wanted to join we're told to drive and meet the bus at the destination. There were SO many parents. It was absolutely overkill, but since it was the first trip I think everyone just wanted to be part of it.

Shortly before the trip a friend told me about a disaster of a field trip with the TK class from another school. I'm not going to go into too many details but a small group of kids were lost for a while and then when they were found the teacher bought those kids ice cream and loaded them onto the bus with all of the other kids (without ice cream) and told them all not to tell their parents. Thankfully the kids told their parents!

KrisM
05-16-2014, 09:31 AM
For me, chaperoning depends on the trip. DS2 had his first kindergarten this week and I've been to the nature center before and really disliked it. So, I did not go :). I enjoyed the 4th grade trip to Lansing with DS1. I also enjoyed the 2nd grade trips around town - they visited the police station, fire station, parks and rec as part of the community unit and they are going to a museum next week.

KDsMommy
05-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Our schools seem to run things a little differently. In order to volunteer or chaperone with children, or even to enter the school proper during the day, you must have a background check. This is done every year. Last year I was the room mom in DS1's kindy class, and had a great relationship with his teacher. I was chosen for most of the field trips. This year in 1st grade, I have only been on one field trip. There is a teacher's aid in the class this year, so she is considered the chaperone. On this last field trip I actually officially chaperoned for a different 1st grade teacher as she was having a hard time finding a chaperone. Each class of 18-20 kids is only allowed one chaperone, so the ratio is about 10:1.

buddyleebaby
05-16-2014, 11:11 AM
I "got lost" on a field trip as a kid. Twice.

The first time was at Ellis Island. We had taken a lunch break and they gave us a ten minute warning. I asked if I had time to use the bathroom, one of the teachers said yes. There was a little bit of a line so I had to wait. When I came back out, my class (and all the other classes) were gone. I stood there for a couple of minutes and no one came to get me, so I walked across to the other building I knew we were supposed to go to and stood in the most conspicuous spot I could in the lobby. After maybe five minutes a teacher came running down and told me she realized when they got to the classroom that I was missing! and how I did just the right thing by standing and waiting, etc. and it remember thinking at the time that my mother was not going to hear about this from the school because at that point I had been alone for half an hour and walked across some of the island by myself. I was maybe 8.

The second time was at a large resort, I was in fifth grade and I wasn't really lost as I had asked permission from one of the teachers to go to the bumper boats, but he had neglected to tell all the other teachers/chaperones. I got back just as they were organizing a search party for me and they started yelling at me and I told them I had asked Mr.X and he said "Oh, right. She did. I forgot." So then they all yelled at him.

That being said, I have never stopped any of my kids from going on field trips. The teachers keep a close eye on things and class sizes here are about half of what they were when I was in school. And field trips are their favorite things about school!

sste
05-16-2014, 03:54 PM

Sadly my best work has been lost to the ages! I will say I have a fan following in the K classroom. :)

ahisma
05-16-2014, 04:20 PM
My kid got "lost" too! I'd still send them without me though:)

He was in kindgarten and I was chaperoning, but met them there instead of riding the bus. It was to the circus (which we boycott, but it's hard to boycott a field trip). The teacher asked DS2 if he'd like to come too. He couldn't ride the bus, so we drove and met them.

Somehow, because of that, DS1 didn't get assigned a chaperone. When the circus was over, the buses were waiting and they all zoomed out, DS1 included. I ran after him and checked to make sure that he was on the bus that I *thought* he was on. I assumed (wrongly!) that he had a chaperone and had scurried to catch up with them, since he's that kind of kid. They said he wasn't on the bus, or the others from the school. They held up every.single.bus from all schools while I ran full-blast back into the (now empty) circus and found only carnies. Worst feeling ever - thinking your kindergartener is lost with carnies.

It wound up that he WAS on the bus, DID raise his hand when checked on, but nobody had noticed. He ran ahead to be with a parent he knew to make sure he was in the right place. HE did everything right - phew!

At the end of the day, it was a first year teacher who was awesome, but let one funky element (kid with parent, but parent not on bus) slip through the cracks.