PDA

View Full Version : Ages for DisneyWorld?

marymoo86
05-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Thinking of timing and when to start planning our trip and one of the biggest questions is "ideal" ages to take the girls.

Before DD2 was born we had planned on the December after DD1s 5th birthday. DD2 will be 27m then. Not sure if she will get a lot of enjoyment at that age. Starts getting tricky after that as DD1 will be in school but we can figure that out.

We will most likely do one trip while smaller and concentrate on MK and AK and then do another trip when a bit older maybe around to do Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

Given the cost what age would be best for the little one - 2, 3, 4? Most likely will would be there for 5 or 6 days maybe 7.

123LuckyMom
05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
There is no question that a 24 month old will LOVE Disney. There really is fun for people of every age! When we were growing up we went every few years through college age!

Here are the things to consider.

1. Height restrictions on rides. These are usually 40" and 48". There's plenty to enjoy without thrill rides, and I don't know if your girls will or do like roller coasters, but when planning a trip, I would keep the restrictions in mind. I know with my kids if one can ride and the other can't it could be a problem. We went when DS was 4.5 and DD was 11 months. He was able to go on the 40" restricted rides. She didn't mind! When we go again, she'll be able to do the 40" ones, too. If DS can do the 48", we'll have to deal with that.

2. Fright factor. Our kids are scared of nothing, but some kids are more sensitive. Will either of your girls want to skip rides in the dark? Will they be afraid if 3D movies? Might waiting until they're a bit older or going when they're a little younger help this situation?

3. Nap. We broke for nap every afternoon. DD napped (and so did I!) but DS refused and then promptly fell asleep in the stroller on the way BACK to the park. I enjoyed the midday breaks, and I think we'll keep doing them even though the next time we go our kids probably won't nap anymore, but it's something to consider.

4. Price. Your 24 month old won't need a ticket this time around, and she'll probably eat things you can bring with you into the park. I would certainly go before age 3 for this savings if I could go back again.

We plan to go on a 3-4 year cycle:
4.5 and 11 months
7 and almost 4
10 and almost 7
13 and almost 10
16 and almost 13
20 and 17
After that, we'll see.

If I had to choose only two trips, I think I'd do 8 and 5 and 12 and 9, but we are a family that enjoys thrill rides. If those were out of the picture, I'd go right before the youngest was 3 and then when the youngest was 7 or 8, I think.

I hope that helps!

marymoo86
05-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Thanks! That is very helpful!!

Given that we might could do 3 trips and plan on one either Dec as originally planned or maybe move to early May when DD2 is 32m and take advantage of being under 3.

belovedgandp
05-18-2014, 09:25 PM
We are go-go-go people. Especially at WDW. I would not want to go with a kiddo still in diapers or requiring a nap. I did take a 3 month old and loved that but wouldn't go much older. That was our first trip when DC1 was 3 1/2 and DC2 was 3 months. That was great. Wanted to try again when DC3 was 3 months, DC2 3 and DC1 6, but DC2 was not 40 inches yet, so we postponed until the older two were 7 1/2 and 4 (left DC3 with grandma). Planning on going again with 11, 7 1/2, and almost 5. That will be DC3's first trip. We've pulled out of school for the other two trips. This will be the last one to do that since DC1 will be going to middle school.