PDA

View Full Version : How many dry nights before switching to underwear?

ExcitedMamma
05-21-2014, 03:05 PM
DS has been dry now for about four nights and is asking to wear underwear at night instead of his pull up. How many nights before you switched? Was there ever a regression back to multiple nights wet or is it just the occasional accident? Before this he would go a couple of nights but never this many consecutively so I want to support him but at the sane time if it's a fluke I don't want middle of the night disasters!

123LuckyMom
05-21-2014, 03:13 PM
I waited until DS asked, which took a couple of weeks, but he never wet himself in all that time.

I'd let him wear his undies and double make the bed. (Waterproof mattress cover, sheet, another waterproof cover, another sheet.) That way if there's an accident it's a quick fix during the night.

elephantmeg
05-21-2014, 03:42 PM
3 or 4. I'd let him wear underwear. Just make sure there is a waterproof mattress cover and you know where the extras are. We have 2 sets of everything (mattress cover etc) and 3 sets of sheets

onyx8
05-21-2014, 03:43 PM
I waited an entire month

baileygirl
05-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Wow! You guys are a lot braver than me! I waited several months...

mikala
05-21-2014, 05:02 PM
DS decided on his own within a month of day training. He just refused to let me put on a night diaper with his pjs one night.

OKKiddo
05-21-2014, 05:09 PM
DS1 was dry at night before potty training so no pull ups at night. DD was also dry at night before potty training BUT she still sleeps in our bed and DH prefers she wear a pull up just in case (although it creates a problem of laziness for her in the morning because she will go in the pull up if she doesn't want to get out of her warm bed to go potty, yuck!). With DS2 he was potty trained at 3y3m but has only, just last week, started wearing underwear to bed. We told him if he was dry for three nights in a row that he could wear underwear to bed. I'm pretty sure it's because of the Adderall because he wakes up in the middle of the night or is a lighter sleeper because of it. I hear him get up and go potty and then I go back in to check on him and he's already zonked back out (so while he wakes nightly, he goes right back to deep sleep and sleeps in longer in the am instead of a 6am crack of dawn wake up call).

KrisM
05-21-2014, 05:48 PM
DS1 tried a couple times and we then waited for 2 weeks of dry. DD was lazy and the first time she asked, I let her. DH thought I was nuts, but I was 90% sure she was dry all night and just didn't get out of bed in the morning. She has rarely had an accident. DS2 asked as soon as he was in underwear during the day and I felt confident, so we let him. Again, rare accidents. DD asked the same day as DS2...I am pretty sure she was annoyed she was in a pullup and he was in underwear and she was 2 years older!

azzeps
05-21-2014, 06:22 PM
We had DD in pullups forever because she would sleep in our bed part way through the night. So we didn't take chances. In fact, she still occasionally pees in our bed at SIX. Anyhow, waterproof mattress covers are a good investment!

georgiegirl
05-21-2014, 06:52 PM
2 weeks with dd. Never had an accident except when she was sick.

Closer to a week with DS because he kept complaining that the overnight diaper was bothering him. He had a few accidents the first month, but nothing we couldn't handle.

We have waterproof mattress covers on all of the beds.

AlbrightRC
05-21-2014, 08:16 PM
My son at 2 1/2 went into undies at night after being dry every night for about a week i think. He stayed in undies for about 6 months with only an occasional accident and then we went out of town and he started peeing his pants every single night. He went back into pullups because even after coming home he could not stay consistently dry at night. About 2 or 2 1/2 months ago we put him back in undies at night because he had been staying dry for a few weeks. He's had maybe 1 or 2 accidents since...he'll be 6 in a month.

llama8
05-21-2014, 09:12 PM
I waited about 3 weeks of being dry before stopping the pullups.

carolinacool
05-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Wow! You guys are a lot braver than me! I waited several months...

Ha! Us, too! DS didn't fully potty trained until last summer when he was 3.5. We kept him in pull-ups overnight well into the fall. He never asked to wear underwear overnight, and when we told him we are going to try it, he was basically like whatever. Lol

MSWR0319
05-21-2014, 09:59 PM
DS is 5.5 and still wears pull ups. He'll go a few weeks completely dry and then all of a sudden have wet ones for two or three days. I feel bad because he keeps asking when he can wear underwear. Maybe I'll just let him try it.

BabbyO
06-05-2014, 11:15 PM
I know I'm a little late to the party - but thought I'd chime in. Stachio didn't have any consecutive dry nights. But on Dec. 31 2012 he DECIDED he wasn't wearing diapers to bed anymore. There was no persuading him otherwise...nor were we able to successfully do a sleeping potty trip when DH and I went to bed. Instead, we just grit our teeth, double or triple layered the bed and went 20 nights with nighttime accidents. I begged him to use a pull-up, but he was determined. On the 21st morning he was dry. He's only had 3-4 accidents since and all occurred when he was sick (bad coughing or throwing up at night - which let to pee accidents). It was a long 20 days, but we got through it. Now, I know this wouldn't likely be the outcome for a child who hadn't decided on their own to do this...but my point is, if your DC is asking...maybe give it a shot.

AngelaS
06-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Four nights and he's asking, sure!

One of mine was waking up wet, but I was pretty sure it was because she was waking up and peeing instead of getting up. We ran out of pull-ups and I told her it was time to be big and get up if she had to go. She did. Never had an accident. :P

Philly Mom
06-06-2014, 07:17 AM
I would have thought 4 was enough and after 5, I almost let my 2.5 year old. Since then, soaking wet every morning and last night she took her pull up off and fell asleep on top of her duvet. 3:30 in the morning I was changing her bed. Now I am quickly washing the duvet so I can get it in the dryer before we leave for work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmommy
06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
I was just coming on the board to ask this same question. We're at 8 nights dry here, but I hate washing bedding...We'll see if DD2's stubbornness or my fear of washing bedding wins out tonight :)

Giantbear
06-20-2014, 11:47 AM
lol, dry nights....... My daughter went 3 months of dry nights before she was ready

The sunday after her 4th birthday, i had her on the changing table when she looked at me and said 'i don't need those anymore, i'm a big girl!!' and we never looked back

theriviera
06-20-2014, 10:16 PM
We had 0 dry nights - in fact, DD1 would wake up with a full pull up every morning. However, the week she turned 5 she decided that she was too old for pull ups. I did a double layer of sheets - mattress protector - sheet - mattress protector - sheet. She hasn't had a single accident. I'm not sure when she was peeing - maybe in the early morning when she was up but still in bed?