PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about running

KLD313
05-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Actually it will probably be mostly walking and some jogging. I want to try couch to 5K. I got running shoes today. What do I wear? I'm a 38DD and fat thru the middle, I get hot easily and don't know what to wear. What else do I need to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chitowngirl
05-26-2014, 03:40 AM
I used to be in good shape but lost it all with the pregnancy/baby. I just started running again and my DS is 18 months old. For me it was like starting from scratch and I did a c25k program. Starting slowly really worked well for me. I am now consistently running 3 miles, but it is still not "fun" for me or "easy". I am hoping with time and improved physical conditioning it gets easier. All that is to say I am no running expert. I am always shocked and impressed by the running threads where people say things like "running a 10k is my favorite distance - I only do marathons twice a year."

I would definitely say invest in a good sports bra that fits well. I have a nike one and an athleta one that fit great. I also have a Columbia one and a target one that do not. They all seemed ok in the store, but when I run I can definitely tell the difference in my "bounciness"/comfort.

It's been unseasonable cold in chicago which is terrible in all things except that it's been great running weather. I like running in the mid 60s best. Unlike you I tend to be cold so I run in long sleeves - especially if it's low 60s or cooler. If it's warmer I wear a tank top under my long sleeved shirt and just take the long sleeves off if I get hot. I try to wear wicking clothes specifically for exercising and not just any old tank top. I tend to run in yoga pants, but if you get hot you may want sonething else. The thing I liked about the c25k program is they start you off pretty slowly so it gives you a chance to see what works and modify what doesn't.

The only other thing I wish I had known was that some of the transitions between days/weeks were really hard for me. Like they'd have you go from running 8min 3 times to 12 min 2 times. Even though the actual running time was the same, that was hard for me. The directions for the program just said to redo the week before, but that didn't help cause I was doing the week before just fine. At those times I would just modify the program until I was able to rejoin. For example I may do 7min-10min-7min then 10min-4min-10min then 12 min x 2 and rejoin the program. That really helped me.

Good luck!

karstmama
05-26-2014, 06:37 AM
i'm in week 8 of a c25k. i think the key is something i read somewhere - run slow. if you can run slower, you're running too fast. run so slow you could likely walk faster.

i'm cheap and only a c cup, so i found several sports bras in marshall's that have been fine, but yeah - not a place to scrimp if you're a dd. i like to wear capris and those thin shirts that wick.

i knew from the treadmill at the gym that my pace was in the 4mph range, and googled 'songs at 4mph pace' and found a big list. so i made a playlist of songs i already had, and play that while running. the app i have breaks in and tells you 'now walk' or 'halfway there', which is nice.

go get 'em!

BabyBearsMom
05-26-2014, 07:31 AM
I started couch 2 5k in January. Since then I have run two 5Ks and now I run 4 days a week. It definitely works. I didn't run at all before starting and was not in good shape. I usually wear a sports bra, a t shirt and a pair of Capri yoga pants to run. I like the ones from old navy for inexpensive options. I usually wear saucony running shoes but right now I have a pair of asics that I like. It really works. It is an awesome program. Good luck

SnuggleBuggles
05-26-2014, 10:29 AM
I get hot too. Even at 45 degrees, I wind up in a tank top after I peel my long sleeved shirt off. I ran the other morning in my normal gym capris and thought I was going to die- I forgot that they were longer than normal capris. It was only 68 degrees. :) So, in the summer I do running shorts. I have a lot of wicking tanks that I wear or I wear just those cotton ribbed Old Navy ones. The good thing about running in races is you amass a great collection of wicking shirts that you can layer with.

I have a great playlist. I put a Road ID bracelet through my shoe laces since I run outside a lot. An arm band for your phone would be handy.

Keep your toenails clipped to avoid ingrowns and cuts.

ZeeBaby
05-26-2014, 09:43 PM
I am a 36dd and I started running in April. I am doing a couch to 5k program and I find the transitions tough as well. My program is very slow though and really for non-runners. I thought the couch to 5k app was aggressive and required big transitions. I have really brought into the theory of "my race, my pace." My focus is just on finishing each day. Just take your time. I get sports bras from old navy and they are pretty decent, but I am also slow so the bouncing isn't too bad lol

MommyAllison
05-27-2014, 12:34 AM
I'm on week 6 of c25k, using the free app. I like the Champion sports bras that come in a 2pack at Costco (they were recommended here). I'm currently running in a loose cotton tshirt and some Adidas coolmax pants, but get really hot now that the weather is warming up, so I'm going to try some of the suggestions here! The one thing I didn't see mentioned yet was to bring water with you! I take my kids along, with dd2 in the stroller, so I can toss my water bottle in the stroller. I never remember to drink enough before I start, so I end up drinking during the walking portions. And I would pick a running route that is mostly flat to begin with! Mine has an uphill at the end and it is killer.

SnuggleBuggles
05-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Water! I knew I forgot something. :) Different water strategies I use (note, I run in city neighborhoods or parks so I can find water fountains during most of my runs but not all):
-Camelbak backpack. Yes, it's a bit extreme but it's so light weight and easy to use that I really like it. I am hands free and there is a place for my phone and keys. And I don't have to worry about running out of water. I usually only use it if running more than 5 miles. But, I do love it. :)
-one of those mini disposable bottles of water. I sometimes have to refill midway. If I get sick of carrying it, I can toss it in a recycling bin and keep going. I get annoyed having things in my hands.
-I have an Amphipod running belt. One glorious day, it was set perfectly. Ever since then, it has sucked. Sliding all around, riding up...I never use the belt anymore. The bottles are nice though- good size and nice contour to carry.
-any old water bottle laying around in my car will do in a pinch.

I have to drink water while I run. If I don't, it becomes a psycological barrier. All I can think about is water and altering or shortening my route to get water. :)

KLD313
05-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Thank you all so much! Last night I had to run full speed down the driveway to catch DS who is fast and kind of thought about returning my running shoes. Lol. Thought I would die. I was wondering about water and if it would make me get cramps but I guess not. I'm going to give it a try well after I get a sports bra!

SnuggleBuggles
05-27-2014, 11:28 AM
just sip the water vs chugging a bunch.

marinkitty
05-27-2014, 01:42 PM
I've used C25k a couple of times to restart running after babies or long breaks. It is a great program. If you don't feel ready to move on to a new week, just repeat the week you are doing until you are. You can make it as long as you want. I think if you are carrying more weight than normal, it is super important to take it really slow. You don't want to end up with an injury by starting too fast. After DS3 I really struggled with runner's knee and had to stop C25K a couple of times because the pain got terrible. I ended up having to strengthen up my quads to get my knee tracking properly again before I could resume running. And I have a few friends who ended up with plantar fasciitis when they started to run post-baby. So be careful.

I am a 34D so I usually wear two sports bras when I run. One is a short athletic bra (compression type) and then I layer a tank with built in sports bra over top for added bounce control. In warm weather (60+) that is all I wear on top and I wear shorts or capris below. If colder I wear a ls running tee (I am partial to the Lululemon ones with the finger holes and have amassed a collection over the years) and then if I get hot I can take it off and tie it around my waist.

I always carry water unless I know there are ample water fountains and I'm not running far.

You can do this! I am not a natural runner at all. I'm not very fast and I'm not at all built like a distance runner. Every single time I've started C25K it has been a struggle. But I just ran a 10-mile race this past weekend and ran it without stopping. I'm not ever going to break any speed records, but you can definitely work up in distance if you are patient and stick with it. I'm really happy to drop back down to shorter runs - the long stuff is hard on my body - but I actually have gotten to a point where, when I'm well conditioned, I really really love to run. Never thought I'd say that! Good luck.

lovin2shop
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
I just started c25k in April also. I was totally amazed when I made it through 20 mins of continuous running! I dreaded every move up in time, but once I got past the mental hurdle of 20 mins and realized that I wasn't going to die, I actually am starting to look forward to it. I wear yoga capris and the wicking Tshirts also. Thinking about switching to shorts now that it is warm, hoping that my legs tone up enough that I'm not too self conscious in them! As for sports bras, I'm a DDD, and I've tried some big name brand bras for support that I was fitted for and cost a ridiculous amount, but actually find them uncomfortable. Instead I usually just double up on my Target cheapies. I'm also very slow, so they seem to hold well enough without making me feel like I have tourniquet around my chest.

kristenk
05-27-2014, 01:46 PM
I am a 36dd and I started running in April. I am doing a couch to 5k program and I find the transitions tough as well. My program is very slow though and really for non-runners. I thought the couch to 5k app was aggressive and required big transitions. I have really brought into the theory of "my race, my pace." My focus is just on finishing each day. Just take your time. I get sports bras from old navy and they are pretty decent, but I am also slow so the bouncing isn't too bad lol

ZeeBaby, which program are you doing?

marinkitty
05-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Oh - don't make the mistake I did last week and chafe yourself running in short shorts. It was super hot and so I tossed on one of my shorter pairs (that fit better when I'm lighter than I am now by a good 10 pounds- oops; facing reality after a long winter of comfort food) and I had to do a long run. With about four miles left I felt the tell tale burning and sure enough, have a lovely scab of chafed skin on one inner thigh the next day. Good for motivating me to lose the winter fluff, but bad for the skin! You can use Body Glide or just smear some coconut oil on the inside of your legs if you are super hot and want to wear shorts but don't want to chafe.

KLD313
05-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Oh - don't make the mistake I did last week and chafe yourself running in short shorts. It was super hot and so I tossed on one of my shorter pairs (that fit better when I'm lighter than I am now by a good 10 pounds- oops; facing reality after a long winter of comfort food) and I had to do a long run. With about four miles left I felt the tell tale burning and sure enough, have a lovely scab of chafed skin on one inner thigh the next day. Good for motivating me to lose the winter fluff, but bad for the skin! You can use Body Glide or just smear some coconut oil on the inside of your legs if you are super hot and want to wear shorts but don't want to chafe.

Ugh that sounds painful. I have no intention of wearing super short shorts, no one wants to see that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZeeBaby
05-27-2014, 02:24 PM
ZeeBaby, which program are you doing?

I am doing a program with spark people. I just use the recommendations on the website and repeat a day if I need to. I thought it would be harder to catch up, but I think your body is building stamina while you are at rest because I am not as out of breath as before.