PDA

View Full Version : Shoot Me Now - Shopping for Interview Basics

lizzywednesday
05-28-2014, 09:22 PM
OK, so I've gained far too much weight to even attempt getting into my post-college suits, and even my Ann Taylor tropical weight wool suit isn't going to get over my hips at this point.

While I haven't got anything scheduled at the moment, I'm coming to the realization that I probably need interview clothes. And I might as well get them now rather than scramble later. There's not much worse than wearing an ill-fitting suit to an interview because you were in a hurry to buy SOMETHING.

I have several Boden wrap dresses because they fit me well, but I don't feel like they're professional or "conservative" enough to wear to interviews.

I'm roughly a size 14 on the top, but a 16/18 curvy on the bottom. I also need a "tall" or something that runs "long" - a standard misses' inseam length of 32" is too short for me, so I need at least a 34" inseam in pants.

Being a very pale brunette, black & gray suits tend to wash me out.
I prefer chocolate brown, but will go with navy blue if I must.

Point me please?

TwinFoxes
05-28-2014, 10:32 PM
The Nordstrom 1/2 yearly womens sale is going on now, you can start there. If you like your AT suit, get another. I think a dress with a blazer works, unless you're in a conservative industry.

boolady
05-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Liz, when I lived closer to you, I used to get tons of work clothing at Lord & Taylor at Quakerbridge Mall. I always found that they had nice work selections that were appropriate but not frumpy in their suit and dress departments.

lizzywednesday
05-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks.

Most of the industries I'm looking at skew conservative, so I kind of need a suit.

I'm an 18 at AT in pants. Well, at the outlet I was anyway.

I haven't spent a lot of time at the Lord & Taylor at Quakerbridge - I feel kind of outranked there, but I'll give it a try.

Nordstrom's has been a total strikeout for me. I get really anxious about the prices & then "nothing" fits. It's probably psychological.

Cam&Clay
05-29-2014, 11:45 AM
The last time I had an interview, I called Nordstrom's and had the personal shopper pick things for me. It was wonderful! She picked things that were $$$ and some that were not. She also picked things I never would've thought of. I highly recommend their service.

TwinFoxes
05-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Try the Encore department at Nordstrom...they have so many different departments!

I would encourage you to ignore the size label, and just pick something that fits well and gives you confidence. Good luck!

boolady
05-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks.

Most of the industries I'm looking at skew conservative, so I kind of need a suit.

I'm an 18 at AT in pants. Well, at the outlet I was anyway.

I haven't spent a lot of time at the Lord & Taylor at Quakerbridge - I feel kind of outranked there, but I'll give it a try.

Nordstrom's has been a total strikeout for me. I get really anxious about the prices & then "nothing" fits. It's probably psychological.

I'm not sure what you mean by outranked, but I was never buying the most expensive things there by a long shot. They usually have some percentage off sale going on. I used to get some good deals.

Ms B
05-29-2014, 12:36 PM
I work in probably the most conservative profession out there for dress (other than mortuary and ministry), which is law. I still wear hose a couple days a week for court!

It sounds to me like you need to go to a Talbots, preferably one that has both a Misses and a Talbots Woman. They have lots of separates that make a suit (and by suit, I mean a jacket and skirt/pants out of the identical fabric). If necessary, you can order many of their "better" pants on-line or from catalog in talls (use the red phone in store to get $5 shipping, buy during one of their free shipping specials, or purchase over $100-150 to get free shipping). They pretty much always have black and navy; greys, camels, cream, and other colors show up periodically.

I wear different sized jackets and pants/skirts and I can shop in different parts of Talbot's (for me, mostly petites and women's petites) I have a lot of luck with Talbot's seasonless wool (really a blend) pieces.

Note that their prices run around $180 for a jacket and $60-80 for pants or a skirt at full price, but they have regular markdowns, particularly online.

I also suggest trying a Jones New York or Kasper. I have had luck at their outlets, at the Macy's suit department (albeit not for conservative pieces), and at Bloomingdale's. I actually picked up a charcoal Jones dress at Bloomingdale's in Manhattan late last year that had matching pants, skirt, and jacket (I did not buy them, but that's a different story). Their "Essentials" line is a blend that wears great!

Mikey0709
05-29-2014, 01:22 PM
YES! Talbots! They are a little pricey - but I can usually find something on the sale rack - - and they will call stores or order if it's not your size. The talbots woman store starts at a size 12 and up. Sometimes if i fit into an 18 in the regular talbots store - - the woman's size 16 will actually fit me BETTER. Woman's can sometimes give a little extra room in the hips, etc. I think they may also offer alterations - - but i'm not sure. For the best fit - i would certainly pay for at least one GOOD versatile interview outfit.

lizzywednesday
05-29-2014, 03:51 PM
Try the Encore department at Nordstrom...they have so many different departments!

I would encourage you to ignore the size label, and just pick something that fits well and gives you confidence. Good luck!

OK, full confession - I totally despised the last suit I had from Nordstrom 14 years ago. I'm sure it's better now, but I am so gun-shy because of it!

It was a set of polyester separates; I kind of want a year-round wool blend that I can add shells or blouses to, as I think it'll be a bit cooler while walking from the parking lot to the door. Or walking to/from the subway, assuming I get interviews for positions in the City.

I'm sure it's improved since, but I'm still having panic attacks trying to figure out where in a department store I should shop!

I'm not sure what you mean by outranked, but I was never buying the most expensive things there by a long shot. They usually have some percentage off sale going on. I used to get some good deals.

I feel like I'm too young and too poor to be in there, if you know what I mean. It's not true (I'm in my mid-30s and was making a nice salary) but a lot of what I've seen there feels kind of fuddy-duddy. Of course, I'm not often able to leisurely look at things for myself - if I'm out shopping, I have DD with me.

Also, I still haven't forgiven the woman at the Clinique counter who did the WORST eye makeup for me 8 years ago ... but that's another story.

I should totally let it go.

I work in probably the most conservative profession out there for dress (other than mortuary and ministry), which is law. I still wear hose a couple days a week for court!

It sounds to me like you need to go to a Talbots, preferably one that has both a Misses and a Talbots Woman. They have lots of separates that make a suit (and by suit, I mean a jacket and skirt/pants out of the identical fabric). If necessary, you can order many of their "better" pants on-line or from catalog in talls (use the red phone in store to get $5 shipping, buy during one of their free shipping specials, or purchase over $100-150 to get free shipping). They pretty much always have black and navy; greys, camels, cream, and other colors show up periodically.

I wear different sized jackets and pants/skirts and I can shop in different parts of Talbot's (for me, mostly petites and women's petites) I have a lot of luck with Talbot's seasonless wool (really a blend) pieces.

Note that their prices run around $180 for a jacket and $60-80 for pants or a skirt at full price, but they have regular markdowns, particularly online.

I also suggest trying a Jones New York or Kasper. I have had luck at their outlets, at the Macy's suit department (albeit not for conservative pieces), and at Bloomingdale's. I actually picked up a charcoal Jones dress at Bloomingdale's in Manhattan late last year that had matching pants, skirt, and jacket (I did not buy them, but that's a different story). Their "Essentials" line is a blend that wears great!

We're near a Jones outlet (Jackson) and my favorite, pre-weight-gain suit was Jones. It's worth a shot. It tends to be well-constructed and fairly classic, and does run a bit on the "long" side, so it should be a good length.

I think that Kasper is cut too slim for me. I learned by trying to try on a Kasper suit after college, when I was more like a size 6. It hit me in all the wrong places.

It also runs short in the sleeve and leg, which is a BIG problem. It's one thing to have trousers that look "awkward" with heels; it's another to have trousers that look like capri pants when you're wearing flats.

YES! Talbots! They are a little pricey - but I can usually find something on the sale rack - - and they will call stores or order if it's not your size. The talbots woman store starts at a size 12 and up. Sometimes if i fit into an 18 in the regular talbots store - - the woman's size 16 will actually fit me BETTER. Woman's can sometimes give a little extra room in the hips, etc. I think they may also offer alterations - - but i'm not sure. For the best fit - i would certainly pay for at least one GOOD versatile interview outfit.

Oh god, I usually hate Talbot's. The salespeople at my local store are SO pushy!

The last time I bought something there, I felt like the sleeves were too short, the shoulders were too narrow, and the blouse fabric was just bleh. (It was an emergency stopgap in the event the blouses I ordered from LE didn't arrive; they did & I returned the blouse. And the high-pressure sales tactics were just ... ugh.)

I guess I can give them another try.

lizzywednesday
05-29-2014, 03:56 PM
Also, thank you everyone for your input so far, despite my comments.

I'm trying really hard to work through my body issues and anxiety about job hunting. And I am not doing a very good job at it.

We technically had a "business casual" dress code at the office, but I never bothered after my first few months because it wasn't enforced or expected.

I am not looking forward to this one bit and a lot of that negativity is coming out in my responses.

So far, I've got:

Ann Taylor/AT Outlet
Talbot's & Talbot's Woman
Nordstrom
Lord & Taylor
Macy's

Looks like I need to block out a day next week for an expeditionary mission.

hillview
05-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Chicos is another option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
05-29-2014, 04:51 PM
Chicos is another option

Really? The local Chico's has so much stuff but it seems so ... casual! I can't say I've ever seen anything resembling suit separates there. (Again, my experience is colored by dashing after DD. I hate shopping.)

I really do need to physically go to a store and try stuff on, so if their more professional stuff is online, it's really not going to be much good to me.

Zansu
05-29-2014, 06:08 PM
Talbots won't work for you if you need a tall. I find both their regular and plus sizes to run really short.

BabyBearsMom
05-29-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm in my early 30s and I buy a lot of work clothes at Talbots. They have great sales, the clothes are very well made and if you choose carefully, they don't have to look old.

I would definitely not do a chocolate brown suit. If you can't do black or gray, go navy.

As for size, I would recommend trying plus sized clothes. I am a 16 on the bottom and a 12/14 on top but I prefer plus sized because they are made for a curvier body so they fall better than the regular cuts. Plus they usually have more length IME. Good luck

boolady
05-29-2014, 07:58 PM
I would definitely not do a chocolate brown suit. If you can't do black or gray, go navy.

I agree 100%, and I am a very fair brunette. You can bring in some subtle color in whatever top you wear under the suit and in professionally appropriate makeup.

candaceb
05-29-2014, 08:49 PM
One option that hasn't been mentioned is JCPenney.com. They have a wide range of sizes and the basic clothes are decent. The last time I needed an interview suit, I ordered a whole pile from them and tried them on without looking at the sizes and kept the one that fit the best without the psychology of looking at what size it was. You can return in store so you don't have to pay to ship it all back.

lizzywednesday
05-31-2014, 07:26 PM
One option that hasn't been mentioned is JCPenney.com. They have a wide range of sizes and the basic clothes are decent. The last time I needed an interview suit, I ordered a whole pile from them and tried them on without looking at the sizes and kept the one that fit the best without the psychology of looking at what size it was. You can return in store so you don't have to pay to ship it all back.

It's a thought, but, as much as I hate shopping in stores, I prefer it to blindly ordering online and having to return stuff.

Feeling the fabrics, judging the cuts of trousers or skirts in person, etc., is very important to me.

MontrealMum
05-31-2014, 09:26 PM
Talbots won't work for you if you need a tall. I find both their regular and plus sizes to run really short.

The Misses' long inseam is 35". OP says she needs at least 34".

lizzywednesday
06-03-2014, 10:38 AM
The Misses' long inseam is 35". OP says she needs at least 34".

Thanks.

If it works for BabyBearsMom, who is taller than me IIRC, then it will work out just fine for me. I feel like the last time I went into a Talbots, I felt out of place ... and the sales woman was very high-pressure. All I needed was a blouse - the print I loved, but the fit, not so much. I had to go 3 sizes up from what I expected to get something that fit across my shoulders.

Anyway, all of you have given me a lot of food for thought - and a sense of which mall I'll need to hit so I can do a massive try-on of all the places you've suggested.

I am a suburban New Jersey mallrat. This may sound stereotypical, but I've memorized the store directories of every mall from here to Paramus.

lizzywednesday
06-06-2014, 10:51 PM
OK, here's what I learned by going to the Outlets:

(1) Ann Taylor is not my friend right now. Maybe after I lose 10-15lbs.

(2) Talbots Outlet would be fine if I already had a job.

(3) I'm hitting the mall next week because I need specific sizes.

Ms B
06-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Note that the stock at the Talbot's outlets is a LOT different than their regular store stock. The outlet stuff is just more casual IMHO. If you want their business clothes for less, you need to find one of their 'clearance centers', which close out the store stock.

FYI -- The Talbot's semiannual sale should be coming up in the next few weeks. Also, if you register for Talbot's rewards program (the affinity card as opposed to the credit card will even get it done), you get an additional 10% off one day in your birthday month,

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

hellokitty
06-07-2014, 12:59 PM
JCP, kohls and Macy's are a few places to shop for business seperates. Among those three, I find JCP thr easiest to shop.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

NJ_Mom2011
06-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Since you can't easily shop, I would try Macys.com. They have better selection online, then in-store IMO. And with an interview suit, you are going to qualify for the $99 over free shipping.

lizzywednesday
06-11-2014, 05:02 PM
Yes! I saw some cute things at Talbot's Outlet, but it was DEFINITELY more casual. (Which I need right now, too, but it's not my priority.)

I'm just so wary of JCP - I shopped there a lot in high school, then their buyers' tastes changed and I didn't like them so much by college.

I really need to physically go to the store and try things on because the online descriptions don't say enough about fabric or construction for me to get a good sense of what's available. I have a Macy's charge card and there are several larger stores in my area, plus a coupon or four that are good 'til August.

It's not that I can't shop easily; I simply despise shopping and really don't want to do it.

DD is in daycare full-time this week and next, so it'll be easier to hit the malls now. If I have to order-and-return, I will go out of my everloving mind.

twowhat?
06-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Can you do the Nordstrom personal shopper thing that folks here have had really good luck with? I know you hate shopping and might hate even more having someone urge you to try certain things on, but I think you'll come across some things that will pleasantly surprise you that you wouldn't have tried on your own. I think you can give them a budget and they'll work within it. And for me I'd rather have a total stranger give me honest opinions about how I looked! Anyway since your needs are so specific, I think it's worth a shot!

lizzywednesday
06-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Can you do the Nordstrom personal shopper thing that folks here have had really good luck with? I know you hate shopping and might hate even more having someone urge you to try certain things on, but I think you'll come across some things that will pleasantly surprise you that you wouldn't have tried on your own. I think you can give them a budget and they'll work within it. And for me I'd rather have a total stranger give me honest opinions about how I looked! Anyway since your needs are so specific, I think it's worth a shot!

DH has suggested the Nordstrom personal shopper thing before, even offered to pay for it (we didn't know it was free of charge at the time) but he's very ... frugal ... so I never took him up on it.

There's a Nordstrom at my preferred "local" mall as well as one at another "local" mall that I could try, but I would rather keep it as a last resort right now.

Zukini
06-12-2014, 12:58 PM
Another +1 on the personal shopper service at Nordstrom. I used them specifically to build a wardrobe for an industry switch (manufacturing ops to healthcare admin) and they are wonderful!! The key is to be REAL honest about what you are looking to spend AND how many pieces / outfits you would like to get from that visit (they can do one outfit or an entire wardrobe, complete with home visit). The shopper should call you beforehand and get all your sizes, color palette and fabric preferences, your coloring, etc and they will assemble some really nice outfits for you - often with shoes and accessories so you can see how the whole look comes together. I gave her specifics on pieces I already owned and wanted to incorporate and actually lugged them all into the store for me to try on with the pieces she had pulled.

Depending on time of day, the on-site tailor may be in store and will visit to help you with any alterations to your final selections (so so important for those little tailoring details to be taken care of. Often times, the basic tailoring was "on the house" or pretty inexpensive - jeans hemmed, trouser pockets sealed to prevent extra "wings" at the hips, extra snaps added on blouses for the bustier among us. What is good is that if they screw up the alterations they will replace the item for you hassle free, vs taking it to an outside seamstress)

For me it was invaluable, I built a relationship with my personal shopper - she would make notes on which items and sizes we tried and I liked, but wasn't prepared to buy yet and when they got discounted to the sale rack, she would call me up and have them at the ready for me to buy. She also got me appointments for bra and Spanx / undergarment fitting (highly recommended esp as their bras are heavily discounted at RACK and well, foundation garments are key to even less expensive clothes looking super sleek) and makeup referesher at my counter of choice (Bobbi Brown, as I told her I liked the minimalist approach) - and dare I say, I brought my existing makeup pouch to that appointment too to see what could be salvaged from the less expensive products I was already using.

Consider bumping Nordies up on your list :) you might be pleasantly surprised at how much less stressful, and actually enjoyable, the whole process will be. (My shopper helped me for 3+ years, and even dressed me head to toe on a budget! for my courthouse wedding when they opened their Wedding Boutique. We all cried as I was moving soon after that, but she had become a really great friend!)

lizzywednesday
06-13-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm really dragging my feet about the Nordie's thing because the suit I got there in college was just so ... bleh. The fabric felt cheap, I sweated in it, and it was NOT flattering, but we bought it anyway because I needed a second suit.

I don't even know what my budget is - I'm having serious sticker shock right now.

twowhat?
06-13-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm really dragging my feet about the Nordie's thing because the suit I got there in college was just so ... bleh. The fabric felt cheap, I sweated in it, and it was NOT flattering, but we bought it anyway because I needed a second suit.

I don't even know what my budget is - I'm having serious sticker shock right now.

I would really re-consider! College was a LONG time ago. ALL my clothes from college would NOT look good today even if it fit and I really think it would help to have an unbiased opinion from a stranger in terms of what looks good on you. Your college suit was bought because you needed a second suit, not because you were able to spend the time/resources on finding something flattering. So I think you don't have anything to lose by trying the personal shopper! For budget, I'll just throw out a number - say you want to spend no more than $400 for one flattering 2-piece suit (blazer + skirt or blazer + pants) + a nice shirt or shell to wear under the blazer. At the very least you'll try on a bunch of stuff and get a better sense for the styles that work on you and that will help you out a lot with future shopping.

lizzywednesday
06-21-2014, 05:36 PM
OK, so here's a mini-update:

I bought black separates - jacket & trousers - by Jones NY from Macy's. They were already reduced and Macys.com was running an extra 20% off, so I got those two pieces for a little more than $130, which I put on my Macy's charge.

I couldn't buy a skirt because they only a skirt in navy and I need to get an 18W in pencil skirts. (As a total aside, I freaking despise pencil skirts; I find it nearly impossible to find one that fits over my hips, and then I feel super-frumpy because my legs are so heavy.)

I can run to the Jones outlet for a shell or blouse to use with it. (I may need advice as to colors that are OK to use - like, is cornflower blue or lavender OK?)

While I really hate the way I look in black, the jacket was not available in navy in my size.

So, I have one suit (on its way) and am still shopping for a 2nd; I think it should probably be a skirt-suit.

Is it still frowned on to interview in a pants suit? My mother wouldn't let me try/get pants suits when we bought my first suits, but I've worn them in interviews since. (Never mind that these were for jobs I really didn't want, but it was good to get into an interview.)

hillview
06-21-2014, 05:50 PM
pantsuits in my indy are totally awesome. Congrats sounds like a fab outfit!

gymnbomb
06-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Most people wear pants suits for interviews in my field too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
06-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks! I was primarily looking in publishing (background is as an editor) but there are also listings out there with pharmaceutical companies and financial companies as well.

And, because I am so stuck in the self-pity spiral, I forgot to mention that I have an intake meeting with my career counseling/outplacement service on Tuesday.

I doubt the suit will arrive in time, so what should I wear? I have a couple of possibilities, assuming the two blazers in my closet actually fit.

I have very little in the way of professional wear - I've been effectively home-based for the past 4 years and even on days when I was in the office, our corporate dress code was not enforced, so I didn't bother buying any clothing along those lines as I didn't really see the point if I wasn't going to use it.

elektra
06-22-2014, 12:56 AM
I have seen the gamut at the in-office outplacement service meetings I have been to. I think a nice blouse and pants will be fine.
I wore that the first time I went to a meeting and a Boden wrap dress the second time. I was probably one of the more formally dressed people there, but I was ok with that. There were a guy in flipflops even. I would not sweat the outplacement meeting at all. Just wear whatever you have that you would wear on a regular office work day.

HannaAddict
06-22-2014, 03:38 AM

I don't know what suit you bought at Nordstrom over a decade ago, Point of View are their cheaper departments, but a polyester suit isn't what they are known for! They have all the major labels and decent in house brands at a variety of price points. I have never bought a polyester suit from them or even seen one, so I would try to let that go as a reason not to shop there. If you aren't comfortable, that is totally legitimate. I've never been inside many of the stores suggested and don't like Macy's - how the store feels itself so don't go there. But at least at their flagship store, they have great shoppers who can pull things together at reasonable price points. Not "cheap" but reasonable for what you get. And can't beat what they charge for really good alterations if you have to pay. Better than the local tailor and it is done. Good luck and you will look great. I would reconsider black and grey and use makeup including foundation to not be washed out too.

ETA saw update after I posted. Sounds like you have a good start. Pantsuit should be fine in your industry. Skirt is preferred in some but a great fitting pantsuit you feel good in can be just fine. I'd do cornflower over lavender for shell. Hope the meeting with the placement person is helpful.

lizzywednesday
06-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I have seen the gamut at the in-office outplacement service meetings I have been to. I think a nice blouse and pants will be fine.
I wore that the first time I went to a meeting and a Boden wrap dress the second time. I was probably one of the more formally dressed people there, but I was ok with that. There were a guy in flipflops even. I would not sweat the outplacement meeting at all. Just wear whatever you have that you would wear on a regular office work day.

I don't have dress pants. I have dark-wash jeans, which is what I'd wear to the office.

I no longer own a blouse (I know, I know, I know.)

I kind of feel like wearing dark-wash jeans to my first meeting with my outplacement counselor would not set me up for them to take me seriously. I would prefer to be more formally dressed for this meeting.

So, it sounds like I'll be wearing a wrap dress & heels, which I can totally do from my closet. Hopefully, it won't be humid tomorrow!!

NJ_Mom2011
06-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Congrats on finding a suit. For blouses, I've been liking Calvin Klein and H&M. H &M might be an unusual suggestion, but it has surprisingly professional but attractive choices. Both have almost all of their stuff online so I would try there first to save you schlepping to the mall.

lizzywednesday
06-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Congrats on finding a suit. For blouses, I've been liking Calvin Klein and H&M. H &M might be an unusual suggestion, but it has surprisingly professional but attractive choices. Both have almost all of their stuff online so I would try there first to save you schlepping to the mall.

H&M is cut too narrow in the shoulders and most of their things are simply not generous enough in the bust for me; it's not an option right now, but will be if I continue on my health kick. (Also, it's no schlep - the nearest mall with an H&M is 20 minutes away!)

I've not considered Calvin Klein; the last time I tried them, it just didn't work. And I was about 4 sizes smaller then!

lizzywednesday
06-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Another mini-update:

The jacket & trousers arrived today. The jacket is a good fit, but the trousers didn't work out - they have tapered legs.

So, they're going back and I'm going to order another pair. *sigh*

Percycat
06-24-2014, 04:53 PM
It sounds like it has been a long while since you have bought interview clothes and your body has changed. Be easy on yourself. Perhaps you can set aside some time to go shopping with a friend who will bring back lots of clothes for you to try on in a dressing room so you can figure out what fits and looks nice. You only need to find a few pieces. The idea of working with a personal shopper sounds intimidating, but wonderful. Perhaps this is a time for you to invest in yourself and let someone help you.

I too am larger than I would like to be. I used to have fun buying professional clothes when I was a perfect size 8. Now, I am probably 18W and clothes shopping is not nearly as fun. Fortunately, my mom will go shopping with me and keep bringing back options until I find something that makes me feel happy and good about how I look. I hope you are able to have a similar experience and feel confident as you prepare for interviews and a new career.

lizzywednesday
06-25-2014, 10:30 AM
It sounds like it has been a long while since you have bought interview clothes and your body has changed. Be easy on yourself. Perhaps you can set aside some time to go shopping with a friend who will bring back lots of clothes for you to try on in a dressing room so you can figure out what fits and looks nice. You only need to find a few pieces. The idea of working with a personal shopper sounds intimidating, but wonderful. Perhaps this is a time for you to invest in yourself and let someone help you.

I too am larger than I would like to be. I used to have fun buying professional clothes when I was a perfect size 8. Now, I am probably 18W and clothes shopping is not nearly as fun. Fortunately, my mom will go shopping with me and keep bringing back options until I find something that makes me feel happy and good about how I look. I hope you are able to have a similar experience and feel confident as you prepare for interviews and a new career.

I wish I'd had fun shopping before - I was a size 6 or 8, depending on cut, when I graduated college! - but I've always found it to be a chore. I pretty much live in jeans and tee-shirts or skorts and tee-shirts, with an occasional dress tossed in.

It's worse now, because I'm an awkward size. I'm OK with the fact that my body has changed; I am NOT okay with the fact that it makes shopping even more of a pity-party because I'm an awkward size. (I'm somewhere in the neighborhood of a 16W/18W on the bottom; but a 14/16/14W on the top.)

Unfortunately, I don't have friends nearby who could help - my BFF lives in Texas and I just don't have a large social circle - so that's why I'm bouncing ideas off everyone here. It's lovely being able to access all kinds of opinions and advice in one place!

niccig
06-26-2014, 01:09 PM
OP I hate shopping too. Doesn't matter what size I am, clothes don't fit well. Like you, I'm different sizes on top and bottom. I think in your case, I'd find what you can and consider having it tailored to fit. Buy something, make sure it can be returned then check with tailor to see how much to alter it. Then decide if item is worth altering. My sister sews, I don't, but she has similar body type to me and she takes in waist on everything she buys. It really makes a difference on the fit. I just wear a belt with regular clothes, but for interview suit, I'd take in waist, see if an extra dart or two will help the fit.

I hope you find something

ETA Now I've read about the Nordies personal shopper, I would give it a try. You've got nothing to loose.. You don't have to buy what they suggest and it will help to get extra advice. I'm shopping challenged too and my best experiences have been with a great sales assistant who understood what I was looking for, pulled things I would never try, and I ended up with a great outfit. The personal shopper knows the stock, they do this as their job is to dress women of all different sizes and shapes everyday. I also like the onsite tailor. You'll get better advice than just on your own.

SoCalMommy
06-26-2014, 06:14 PM
I hate shopping now too. It can be so overwhelming. I don't know what stores you have where you live, but have you tried Loehmann's or The Loft (used to be Ann Taylor Loft)? Loehmann's has a lot of name brands marked down and they used to have something called the Back Room which has designer clothes at a reduced price. I think they have an online store too.

I would also encourage you to try the Nordstrom personal shopper. They have always had excellent customer service IMO and it might be worth a few extra dollars to have someone find things for you and get an objective opinion. They can also help you maximize your dollars by finding you a few mix/match pieces that all work together so you may get multiple outfits out of just a few pieces. good luck!

lizzywednesday
06-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Thank you for the suggestion, SoCalMommy, but I truly have terrible luck at places like Loehmann's (also, the closest one is awkward to get to and off an intensely trafficky highway currently under construction - *shudder*) and TJ Maxx. I get more frustrated there more quickly than I do in department stores because they are badly arranged and really picked over. (I don't know if it's different in other parts of the country, but that's how it is nearby.)

There are several LOFT stores nearby, but their current inventory is far too casual right now for interview pieces here on the East Coast; I really have to skew more formal, which sucks this time of year - hot & humid! (I know corporate culture can be very different out West!)

Right now, I need a bottom that will work with the suit jacket I bought ... and a 2nd suit.

Honestly, I also need to start working out, because it is freaking ridiculous that I can't find anything to fit my body well right now and I am ANGRY about that.

Ms B
06-29-2014, 08:19 AM
Just so you know, the Talbot's semi-annual/Red Hanger sale is going on now. My store had a number of professional options across the women's sizes (I was looking at women's petites and was in that part of the store).

lizzywednesday
06-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Just so you know, the Talbot's semi-annual/Red Hanger sale is going on now. My store had a number of professional options across the women's sizes (I was looking at women's petites and was in that part of the store).

While shopping for a dress to wear to a funeral, I looked at one of my local Talbots.

They had nice things, but they weren't particularly interview-friendly. Lots of summer dresses and the like, you know?

MontrealMum
06-29-2014, 12:19 PM
While shopping for a dress to wear to a funeral, I looked at one of my local Talbots.

They had nice things, but they weren't particularly interview-friendly. Lots of summer dresses and the like, you know?

Nearly all of my interview clothes come from Talbot's. They're especially great for larger women because the size range goes higher than most other mall stores. Their pants are also nice and long. Your local store may not have much right now - they often only have the "ladies who lunch" country club items in store, but you should check them out online. They have much more stock there. Although I don't usually wear Talbot's in my day-to-day work or non-work wardrobe, I really love them for formal work stuff because their styles are classic enough to not need replacing every year. Think lots of really classic, well cut, basics.

Ms B
06-29-2014, 03:14 PM

I find it depends which store I go to. There are three locations in my area; one that I never go to because it does not have petites, one that is more casual, and one that is more professional. I prefer to go to a Talbot's in the DC area if I happen to travel there (I have had particular luck at Tyson's) because they seem to carry the full suiting collection.

Kindra178
06-30-2014, 12:43 PM
I would consider returning the newly purchased jacket along with the pants. You will have a terrible time trying to match the color unless you go with the same brand and line. As an aside, I don't think I would do separates for an job interview, although they would be fine for a meeting with a career counselor.

Also, regardless of what you weigh now or plan to weigh in the future, it seems like you need a suit NOW. Nordstrom would be a good choice because you can alter any items you buy there in the future. So if you buy a suit on the pricey side that fits you now, you can have it altered as you lose weight. This option will extend the wear of a suit that fits you now. If you don't want to deal with a personal shopper, just walk through and see what you like. Also, AT outlets are notoriously bad. They discount so much in store at the end of the season that their outlet stores get the worst of the worst. Their online store seems to have a ton of options for you. If possible, try a dress and jacket. Very flattering and easy (no shell or blouse to deal with) plus you still have the dressiness of a skirt suit.

boolady
06-30-2014, 02:16 PM
I would consider returning the newly purchased jacket along with the pants. You will have a terrible time trying to match the color unless you go with the same brand and line. As an aside, I don't think I would do separates for an job interview, although they would be fine for a meeting with a career counselor.

Also, regardless of what you weigh now or plan to weigh in the future, it seems like you need a suit NOW. Nordstrom would be a good choice because you can alter any items you buy there in the future. So if you buy a suit on the pricey side that fits you now, you can have it altered as you lose weight. This option will extend the wear of a suit that fits you now. If you don't want to deal with a personal shopper, just walk through and see what you like. Also, AT outlets are notoriously bad. They discount so much in store at the end of the season that their outlet stores get the worst of the worst. Their online store seems to have a ton of options for you. If possible, try a dress and jacket. Very flattering and easy (no shell or blouse to deal with) plus you still have the dressiness of a skirt suit.

:yeahthat: Wearing a suit and bottom, whether it's pants or a skirt, that are not meant to go together but you're trying to match is a disaster waiting to happen, IMO. Things don't need to be that complicated. I have to dress quite conservatively for work, and certainly would for an interview (attorney in the Northeast-- probably about as conservative a field as you're going to get). I get many, many work items at Nordstrom and Lord & Taylor, and also wear plus sizes. I'd be in big trouble if I couldn't. Honestly, I think you need to cast aside all of your pre-conceived notions about shopping at some of these stores, about sizing, about what works and what doesn't, and just get out there and try things on. That said, I believe, IIRC, you have a preference for wool. I think this suit would be lovely for an interview. Land's End has a sale/discount code about every other day, so if you wait a few days and order, I'm sure you can get it at a substantial discount. If it doesn't work, return by mail or to the nearest Sears store. It doesn't get much easier than that. Heck, order it in multiple sizes if that helps, and try them all on.

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-2-button-washable-wool-blazer/id_246937_57#BVReviewsContainer

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-washable-wool-straight-modern-pants/id_217281 or

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-plain-front-washable-wool-comfort-trousers/id_217282

They also make a 1-button jacket in the same fabric; honestly, since I've gained weight, I much prefer the 2-button look because I think it keeps a more structured look and when buttoned, can help to "lock and load," to quote WNTW. But the 1-button is an option. If you feel you absolutely must wear a button-down, LE has tons of options. Here are some other options for underneath; I understand that it's an interview, and you need to look conservative, but I don't think there's anything wrong with some feminine touches, or age-appropriate modern touches that aren't crazy. Graphic patterns are very clean-looking, and look up-to-date. Conservative does not mean frumpy; you are a young woman, and want to feel good about how you look! Keep in mind that these will be under a solid black jacket.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-contrast-panel-print-top-plus-size/3628373?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=6354&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_18_D

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/vince-camuto-colorblock-trim-sleeveless-blouse-plus-size/3708515?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=7625&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-5_22_C

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/dknyc-side-ruched-sleeveless-top-plus-size/3783430?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=RUSTIC+BLUE&resultback=7625&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-3_22_A

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/vince-camuto-pleat-front-v-neck-blouse-plus-size/3710229?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=3812&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-4_12_B

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/sejour-split-neckline-short-sleeve-top-plus-size/3725947?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=3495&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-5_11_A

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/anne-klein-plaid-patchwork-shell-plus-size/3760906?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=6513&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-6_20_D

http://www.anntaylor.com/embroidered-dot-sleeveless-top/338269?colorExplode=false&skuId=16320710&catid=cata000010&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&defaultColor=9192

http://www.anntaylor.com/striped-crepe-shell/344737?prodId=344737&gridSize=md&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&colorExplode=false&skuId=16548473&defaultColor=1878

ETA: I also like Kindra's idea of a suiting dress with jacket. I have a work outfit that is a dress with jacket that is very flattering and classic. I don't think you could go wrong with that combo, either.

TwinFoxes
06-30-2014, 05:33 PM
I hate shopping now too. It can be so overwhelming. I don't know what stores you have where you live, but have you tried Loehmann's...

Wow, you're not a shopper...Loehmanns is out of business. :( They were a fun store, but really spiraled downhill. I also think for someone who hates shopping hit or miss places like TJ Maxx are not a good idea. I love shopping, and those places make me nauseous!

OP, not much more to suggest beyond everything people have mentioned. I'm frankly baffled by the polyester suit experience at Nordstrom, they have very nice labels. Of course separates aren't really a suit. But even so, that was one outfit many years ago, we aren't all trying to steer you wrong when we say try their personal shopper. :)

I do worry if you return the pants and get a new pair the blacks won't match.

TxCat
06-30-2014, 10:05 PM

I agree with all of this.

OP, I know you're going to hate to hear this, but I would return the jacket and start over. When I was a poor med student I tried to cobble together a suit using a jacket I already had and trying to match a new skirt. I even used the same store/label (Banana Republic). Not a good result, and ended up spending more money by having to buy a whole new suit in the end. You can't always tell in certain lighting that two different black or navy pieces don't match, but then in other lighting it becomes very, very obvious. I love dress suits (sheath or A-line dress and matching jacket) - very formal and professional. Even though you are not the size you want to be right now, find an amazing suit that fits you now - it will help you feel confident during your interviews and meetings.

lizzywednesday
07-01-2014, 09:50 AM
Thanks gals.

I really appreciate the input. I especially appreciate the links - boolady, you are my hero.

After hitting the Jones outlet yesterday in hopes of finding the right kind of trousers, I struck out. The jacket will have to go back.

I'm reluctant to buy a suit-suit rather than separates because the size I need right now to fit my hips is so drastically different from the size I need in a jacket, that I fear alterations will cost a great deal more than I can spend right now.

The dress suit thing is a great idea - the suit I loved in college was a sheath-and-long-jacket. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find something like that in my current size (need to fit a hip-and-thigh-line that doesn't work with sheath and pencil silhouettes) and it is quite depressing.

I'll keep looking.

elektra
07-01-2014, 10:04 AM
I only have one suit (purchased at Loft) but the jacket and pants are different sizes. Someone who has bought a nicer suit at Nordstrom may chime in but I didn't think it had to be all one size (?)
I think you said that loft was not formal enough, but I have had luck finding relatively inexpensive stuff there. I am not plus size but I am a tall and they have those. I am in the same boat of looking for a job. I am just going to go with what I have for now though as far as clothes.

Kindra178
07-01-2014, 10:10 AM
I always buy an 8 jacket and 10 pants. It can be done.

TwinFoxes
07-01-2014, 11:19 AM
I'm not saying buy this particular jacket/pants or color. But echoing Kindra, it can be done:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/o/lafayette-148-new-york-suiting-jacket-pants/3769502?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=7532&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_21_C

If you don't want to go to Nordstrom, they do have a live chat feature, perhaps you can ask them which suit pants/jackets are meant together. I'm sure there are other stores with live chat (Lands End comes to mind) who would also probably be able to help.

egoldber
07-01-2014, 11:39 AM
When I was shopping for interview clothes a few years ago, I got a set of Jones separates (jacket, pants, and skirt) that all were part of the same line, so made to work together. Having both a skirt and pants was nice because sometimes there is a second interview, so I was able to wear something "different" at the second interview. I got them at Macy's for a great price.

Many department stores have personal shopping services. A friend of mine in a hard to buy for size (very tall and plus sized) recently used a Macy's shopper to look for cocktail dresses. The shopper picked out things that were wonderful and very flattering on her. I would definitely consider a personal shopping service somewhere, at least as a starting place. Even if you don't get what they pick out, you'll have a better idea of what you like and don't like.

TwinFoxes
07-01-2014, 12:10 PM
When I was shopping for interview clothes a few years ago, I got a set of Jones separates (jacket, pants, and skirt) that all were part of the same line, so made to work together. Having both a skirt and pants was nice because sometimes there is a second interview, so I was able to wear something "different" at the second interview.

Yes, having them from the same line is key, and to me that's a suit. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what OP meant by separates, I thought she meant pants from one line, jacket possibly from another line,

egoldber
07-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Yes, it was basically a suit, but the pieces were sold separately. I also typically need a different size on top and bottom, so that works well for me when it's available.

Like here: http://www1.macys.com/shop/womens-clothing/jones-new-york-womens-collection/Sortby,Productsperpage/ORIGINAL,40?id=46359&edge=hybrid

They have both suits and separates that you can combine to make a suit. It's generally a better deal to get the "suit", but to get different sizes you need the separates.

Momit
07-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Those Lands' End suit pieces Boolady linked look very promising. Or the dress and jacket idea Kindra mentioned. I would definitely return the jacket and purchase suit separates at the same time, from the same line, in different sizes if that's what you need. You can get a bunch of sizes from Lands' End and return the ones that don't work - their returns are super easy.

niccig
07-01-2014, 03:10 PM
I only have one suit (purchased at Loft) but the jacket and pants are different sizes.

My one suit is from Loft too, and it's different sizes. I can't wear the same size on top/bottom so I have to get separate suit elements. I also prefer to buy where I can get a curvy cut to the pants as then I don't need to alter the pants waistband.

I don't wear pencil skirts as my hips are a size bigger than my waist. If I felt I *had* to get a skirt for an interview, I would buy one that fits my hips and it would need to be taken in at the waist.

lizzywednesday
07-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Yes, having them from the same line is key, and to me that's a suit. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what OP meant by separates, I thought she meant pants from one line, jacket possibly from another line,

"Suit Separates," the way I'm using the word, means all one line, one manufacturer, in sizes that fit the different parts of my body. If it's sold as a complete suit, however, you CANNOT get different sizes. You have to buy the whole suit. That's just not going to work because my body is different sizes with a drastic enough difference between top & bottom as to make alterations to the jacket cost prohibitive.

This is the blazer that I bought:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/jones-new-york-collection-plus-size-devon-three-button-blazer?ID=508663&CategoryID=40424#fn=BRAND%3DJones%20New%20York%26s p%3D1%26spc%3D20%26ruleId%3D%26slotId%3D1

Macy's has paired it with a skirt (pencil silhouette; ew, by the way) and also with these trousers, which are tapered leg (not in item description!!!) and did not work for me:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/jones-new-york-collection-plus-size-extended-tab-pants?ID=246484&CategoryID=46203&LinkType=PDPZ1

I'm having the darndest time finding a skirt or dress that will work - I have substantial "junk in the trunk" and heavy legs, so the pencil skirt/sheath dress silhouette that's so "in" is less than flattering on me - it seems to cut me off in all the wrong places. Even a good pair of heels and super-strength Spanx won't remedy that!

I like the pieces that boolady found, but I'm just so wary about ordering from LE - their fit model is 5'6", so I have had Very Poor luck in finding tops/dresses there. The seaming and other structural details just don't hit me in the right places and I'm concerned that ordering a "Tall" jacket won't have enough volume in the sleeves for that to be an option. Thankfully, their Tall sizes will work for me - I had two iron-free blouses in "Tall" that were perfect; one still fits.

lizzywednesday
07-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Thank you all again; here's another mini-update:

My SIL's nanny is on vacation starting Wednesday, so my SIL and I are planning to hit the mall for interview-appropriate attire.

SIL is a manager/director for a public policy center at NYU. She's of the opinion that I don't need a suit, but business-professional will be OK.

Whether it is or not remains to be seen, but at least I'll have someone objective to come with me.

BabyBearsMom
07-06-2014, 02:36 PM

My SIL's nanny is on vacation starting Wednesday, so my SIL and I are planning to hit the mall for interview-appropriate attire.

SIL is a manager/director for a public policy center at NYU. She's of the opinion that I don't need a suit, but business-professional will be OK.

Whether it is or not remains to be seen, but at least I'll have someone objective to come with me.

Please wear a suit. I just interviewed a candidate for a position in my office and she didn't wear a suit. I found it very distracting during the interview. I kept thinking "why wouldn't she wear a suit? This is an interview". I asked the other people who interviewed her what they thought of her and with no prompting they all said that the lack of suit was so strange and that they wondered how serious she was about the job because of it. This is a position in the finance office and we actually only dress casual in the office. But we still expect suits for interviews.

boolady
07-06-2014, 04:54 PM

What is business-professional that is not a suit, especially for an interview? You have stressed over and over in this thread that your industry and locale require conservative business attire. I agree 100% with Babybearsmom- I would not go on an interview without wearing a suit. I really don't think it's a good idea.

westwoodmom04
07-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Definitely get a suit for interviews. My last few jobs have been business casual, but I always wear a suit for interviews. It is better to be overdressed for interviews than underdressed.

westwoodmom04
07-06-2014, 05:13 PM
If you need different sizes for top and bottom, most stores sell each part separately. Try the Halogen or Cassique Entier lines at Nordstrom, Talbots or Talbots Outlet, Ann Taylor or Loft, etc. . .

westwoodmom04
07-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Nearly all of my interview clothes come from Talbot's. They're especially great for larger women because the size range goes higher than most other mall stores. Their pants are also nice and long. Your local store may not have much right now - they often only have the "ladies who lunch" country club items in store, but you should check them out online. They have much more stock there. Although I don't usually wear Talbot's in my day-to-day work or non-work wardrobe, I really love them for formal work stuff because their styles are classic enough to not need replacing every year. Think lots of really classic, well cut, basics.

I have to second this. I never shop Talbots for anything but suits. They have three different cuts for both pants and jackets, so when you find one that is flattering, you can stick to that in future, without having to try on a million things. Their bigger locations will have a petite, women's and plus all in the same location-- if you are in the NY/NJ/Philly area, you should be within driving distance of one of their bigger stores.

Momit
07-06-2014, 10:05 PM
I agree with PPs about wearing a suit for the interview. Even if no one else is wearing one, the interviewee should be. I have never interviewed someone and thought "why are they wearing a suit?" but I have been in the exact position as Babybear's mom thinking "why would you not wear a suit for an interview?!"

Kindra178
07-07-2014, 01:38 PM
What is business professional? A dress with a jacket? In my world, business professional for daily wear could include a cardigan with dress/skirt/pants. However, a cardigan would not be acceptable on an interview. In my experience, universities tend to be pretty casual, even universities in NYC.

niccig
07-07-2014, 08:58 PM
In my experience, universities tend to be pretty casual, even universities in NYC.

Yeah that - and I still wore a suit to my interview for position at local university. The people interviewing me were not in sutis, but I was glad I wore one.

lizzywednesday
07-08-2014, 10:18 AM
SIL says a dress & jacket is "business professional" for interviews, especially in summer. But I'm still not so sure. My BFF feels likewise, but she works in a less conservatively dressing area, in an industry that varies in its buttoned-up standards.

Her opinion is more what the interviewee says is more important than whether or not they wear a suit, which, I have to admit, is true, but I really have my doubts about not showing up buttoned up. (I also really have my doubts about getting an interview in the summer. Listings are few and far between.)

While I'm willing to have her opinion, I really feel uncomfortable about not having a suit for interviews.

I kind of feel like I will look dumpy in anything but a suit so I'm really scared to not wear one, but it's taking a huge toll on my self-esteem trying to shop.

I didn't wear suits when I was first interviewing during my Senior year of college, and I don't think hiring managers took me seriously.

LBW
07-08-2014, 10:51 AM
I live in NJ and work in publishing, and I would never go to an interview in anything but a suit. Yes, the work environment is usually business casual, but interviews are different.

Have you tried JC Penny? I found some great, inexpensive suit separates there several years ago. I think they're Worthington brand.

Here's a dress + jacket I just found on their website (under $100 for the set):
http://www.jcpenney.com/black-label-by-evan-picone-crewneck-dress-or-2-button-jacket-/prod.jump?ppId=ens6003780018&catId=cat100260321&deptId=dept20000013&N=1003730017&extDim=true&topDim=Categories&topDimvalue=suit+separates&dimCombo=Categories%7C&dimComboVal=suit+separates%7C&currentDim=Categories&currentDimVal=suit+separates&colorizedImg=DP0127201417044326M.tif

lizzywednesday
07-08-2014, 11:22 AM
I live in NJ and work in publishing, and I would never go to an interview in anything but a suit. Yes, the work environment is usually business casual, but interviews are different.

Have you tried JC Penny? I found some great, inexpensive suit separates there several years ago. I think they're Worthington brand.

Here's a dress + jacket I just found on their website (under $100 for the set):
http://www.jcpenney.com/black-label-by-evan-picone-crewneck-dress-or-2-button-jacket-/prod.jump?ppId=ens6003780018&catId=cat100260321&deptId=dept20000013&N=1003730017&extDim=true&topDim=Categories&topDimvalue=suit+separates&dimCombo=Categories%7C&dimComboVal=suit+separates%7CĪtDim=CategoriesĪtDim Val=suit+separates&colorizedImg=DP0127201417044326M.tif

No, haven't ventured into JCP yet, mostly because I either love them or hate them and I'm not in any mood to hate a place right now.

I also really want to try and get something in-store, rather than do an online buy-and-return thing. I hate doing that.

mommylamb
07-08-2014, 12:45 PM
I agree with everyone else that a suit is necessary for an interview. My office is business casual unless I have a meeting that requires a suit. However, nearly every person I have ever interviewed-- including interns-- has worn a suit to the interview, and when they wore something else I noticed and thought it was odd (ok, this woman also announced in the interview that she had knitted her shirt, which was a total non sequitur and added greatly to the bizarre nature of that particular interview). Anyway, moral of the story is don't be the knitted shirt weirdo.

sweetsue98
07-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Business dress=suit

I work in an business dress environment everyday. I always wear a suit to an interview even if I don't know the company environment. I rather be overdressed than underdressed. Also, if the environment is more casual, you can always remove the suit jacket.

TwinFoxes
07-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Anyway, moral of the story is don't be the knitted shirt weirdo.

OMG, too funny.

lizzywednesday
07-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks again everyone, especially mommylamb, for your insights and anecdotes.

They are really helping to get me out of the funk I've been in since I started shopping for interview stuff. Even the virtual head-slaps are helping!

I'm hopeful that I'll find something appropriate, and, ideally, it'll be this week.

mommylamb
07-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Wishing you good luck in the job hunt.

NJ_Mom2011
07-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Sorry to be late to the discussion, but in the last few weeks, I bought the Halogen Ela suit separates in black at Nordstrom, and it is one of the better suits that I have. It does look like an interview suit/ The nice things about it was that Nordstroms had a tailor on site, and the alterations made the suit better. It is on sale too and the website will tell you which store has a particular size. shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-ela-suit-jacket-regular-petite/3602551?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Black&resultback=198&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-sea

I think in the past you said that you hate Nordstroms, but after the recession of 2009, lots of the traditional women's suit stores switched more into casual clothes (talking about Ann Taylor & Nordstroms here). There are just not too many options for affordable interview suit separates anymore so I think a consumer has to be flexible.

I would also check out the Jones New York web site to find the missing suit separate that you want.

specialp
07-11-2014, 07:21 AM
Anyway, moral of the story is don't be the knitted shirt weirdo.

:rotflmao:

Good luck, OP! Wishing you all the best.

lizzywednesday
07-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Goodness, no, I don't hate Nordstrom, just the suit I got from there in 2000. It was itchy, hot, and I felt like it made me look frumpy. Not exactly the thing a 22-year-old kid wants!

Anyway, I'm still trying.

My SIL and I went shopping yesterday. While I struck out with most of the things & stores I tried, I felt better at the end of the day than I have in a while because someone finally understood my body and clothing cut issues.

I'll give Nordie's another try now that I'm feeling more like a human being. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do the personal shopper, because I got lost trying to find the plus sizes at the local store, they were so hidden. (That didn't do anything for my black mood that day, I can tell you.)

boolady
07-11-2014, 08:52 AM
Sorry to be late to the discussion, but in the last few weeks, I bought the Halogen Ela suit separates in black at Nordstrom, and it is one of the better suits that I have. It does look like an interview suit/ The nice things about it was that Nordstroms had a tailor on site, and the alterations made the suit better. It is on sale too and the website will tell you which store has a particular size. hop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-ela-suit-jacket-regular-petite/3602551?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Black&resultback=198&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-sea

I think in the past you said that you hate Nordstroms, but after the recession of 2009, lots of the traditional women's suit stores switched more into casual clothes (talking about Ann Taylor & Nordstroms here). There are just not too many options for affordable interview suit separates anymore so I think a consumer has to be flexible.

I would also check out the Jones New York web site to find the missing suit separate that you want.

NJMom, I saw the Ela suit online yesterday- it's part of the Anniversary Sale pre-sale in plus sizes, at least, and was going to link it for Liz today. I think it looks like a great option foe interviews- glad to hear you like yours! Liz, I know you said you don't like to order online and return, but there are lots of good items on sale now. If you don't have a Nordstrom rewards card, sign up for one for free and you can order now. Maybe reconsider, because there is always a much larger selection online.

lizzywednesday
07-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Sorry to be late to the discussion, but in the last few weeks, I bought the Halogen Ela suit separates in black at Nordstrom, and it is one of the better suits that I have. It does look like an interview suit/ The nice things about it was that Nordstroms had a tailor on site, and the alterations made the suit better. It is on sale too and the website will tell you which store has a particular size. shop.nordstrom.com/s/halogen-ela-suit-jacket-regular-petite/3602551?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=Black&resultback=198&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-sea

It's good to know that the suit is serviceable!

I've already tried the Jones website in search of something besides those awful tapered-leg, too-short pants (Apparently, Jones NY's standard inseam is 30"???) and struck out.

NJMom, I saw the Ela suit online yesterday- it's part of the Anniversary Sale pre-sale in plus sizes, at least, and was going to link it for Liz today. I think it looks like a great option foe interviews- glad to hear you like yours! Liz, I know you said you don't like to order online and return, but there are lots of good items on sale now. If you don't have a Nordstrom rewards card, sign up for one for free and you can order now. Maybe reconsider, because there is always a much larger selection online.

Jen, I would really appreciate that link - I don't know what I was looking at the last time I went to the Nordie's website, but whatever it was, I had absolutely NO luck whatsoever finding what I needed.

In general, I've been having issues trying to find plus sizes online, but, again, I have been in SUCH a funk lately that it's hard for me to do the work because I've got so much else going on.

Anyway, things have started to move from "I need an interview suit" to "I really need an interview suit" because I've been contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone screen this week. If I make it past the phone screen, I'll need to have something.

Can I sign up for the Nordstrom rewards card online?

boolady
07-14-2014, 10:41 AM
There are two plus-size Elas. The basic Ela, and the New Ela. Regular Ela is not an Anniversary Sale item, but is already on sale, as are the pants that coordinate. I didn't realize I was looking at New Ela in the AS section, but both look very interview-appropriate to me. Here's the links for original Ela jacket and slacks. Prices for the Ela and New Ela jackets are identical, as are the prices for the slacks and skirt. And you can sign up for Rewards right on the Nordstrom website.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/sejour-ela-seamed-jacket-plus-size/3473896?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=60169242&fashionColor=&resultback=0&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_1_D

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/sejour-ela-straight-leg-pants-plus-size/3509699?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=60169242&fashionColor=&resultback=159&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_1_C

Here are the New Ela jacket and skirt:

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/U55WApnXta4_dP_4Pk8-5oKXQfUDFFGndrzTEQXzYMpLQYfZhHGPCm87-SdSgmO7vI_6RgvQaQuREihL5p_K352MULlTCnPAGNRdQQfZ8aQ QE8kxnrH5lhMiZmTYhXvVCH4M4Qa1VzI=s0-d-e1-ft#https://secure.nordstromimage.com/ImageGallery/store/Product/medium/6/_9356726.jpghttps://ci5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Wr3JlK04iPvwyYj2xYn411qWynQWN6NvD2kx-wsumILJg_kdARuLiMnyZ2wPgzd_NiNOPdnXgdlM0iv0NDkjuLq X2n4KBBNG_fhuwFik6K5oudHAyOTyE_AfGm4sYtcunRhMn63ZG urm=s0-d-e1-ft#https://secure.nordstromimage.com/ImageGallery/store/Product/medium/14/_7696274.jpg

lizzywednesday
07-15-2014, 12:59 PM
Thank you, Jen!

lizzywednesday
07-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Update:

So, after my phone screen this morning, I was motivated to go out and look for suit separates.

I managed to find trousers in the same line as the jacket I didn't return (despite all your advice to the contrary) at Lord & Taylor (in a different mall).

I also found a blue-and-white striped blouse at Macy's that will work with the black pants-suit, ordered a solid blue blouse in the same style, and between Macy's and Lord & Taylor, managed to find another full suit in this pattern:

http://www.jny.com/The-Olivia-Jacket-in-Birdseye-%28Plus%29/27432271,default,pd.html?variantSizeClass=&variantColor=JJ3WWXX&cgid=22962208&prefn1=catalog-id&prefv1=jonesny-catalog

All I need now is an in-person interview, and maybe a new pair of shoes. The heels I've got in my closet will make the trousers look like floods and I'm worried that I don't have time to have the hem let down before getting a call, so I'm off to Zappos later.

Wish me luck! You have all been so incredibly helpful and supportive that it's a true reminder of why I continue to come back to the board at all - the people I've "met" here are the greatest.

gymnbomb
07-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Glad to hear you found some things that will work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwinFoxes
07-16-2014, 06:05 PM
Yay, success!:cheerleader1:

ZeeBaby
07-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Sounds like a great start!

niccig
07-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Yay..once you get the shoes, you're all set. Mojo for an interview!

Momit
07-16-2014, 10:00 PM
So glad you've found some things that work for you!

lizzywednesday
07-17-2014, 09:20 AM
I found these on Zappos last night & I'm optimistic that they will work out well with the pants hems as-is:

http://vip.zappos.com/soft-style-alesia-black

The heel is not as high as my other black heels, and I'd wanted a pointed toe to present a sharper, longer leg line. Maybe that sounds weird, but I think it'll help the pants not feel as short. (I'll have them re-hemmed after I go interviewing, because they'll be a great base on which to build a professional wardrobe. Stacy & Clinton always recommended that their WNTW clients break up suits to expand their outfit options down the road.)