PDA

View Full Version : Teacher giving tmi about another teacher

JustMe
06-17-2014, 10:35 PM
My kids go to a small public school. One of the teachers had something terrible happen in her family. I don't want to go into details, but it is awful. I will say that it does not involve death--just so people do not get on the wrong track. Yes, it is a relatively small community and I happen to know about it through some mutual friends. Still, my kids did not know and it has been several months. Today, dd comes back from school with the gory details of what happened..and who told her--her teacher. Why? Because kids were asking where the other teacher was/the teacher was discussing which teachers will return next year, etc. Also, I am sure that some kids might have heard about this from somewhere given how circles tend to overlap here.

Still, that's private for the other teacher/not something I can discuss with you seems like it would have been a good response. There are specific reasons my kids and some other kids in the school didn't need to know about this and that should be obvious to her.

Now, dd's teacher has been beyond awesome to dd and done so much for her. However, whenever I voice a concern to her she acts like a little kid in trouble--and will even lie about things. So, I am not going to say anything to her. Dd is graduated anyway and won't be back in the school...but I am mad.

MamaMolly
06-18-2014, 10:09 PM
That's just yucky all over. She should keep her mouth shut.

JustMe
06-18-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks, Molly!

BDKmom
06-19-2014, 06:49 AM
I hate when people do things like that, especially with kids.

Globetrotter
06-19-2014, 01:46 PM
That's not very professional. The other day one of my teacher friends was talking about some of her students to a 14 year old friend of my dd's, including some personal information. I found that really inappropriate!

JustMe
06-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks, everyone! I know this teacher means well, does do her best, and works like crazy for her students---but she does not seem to "get it" in this dept. As I said, dd is done but ds will continue in the school and most likely have her (which is a good thing based on her other qualities)...so once things settle down in the beginning of the year I may say something to another teacher who is on the school's leadership team..not to have this specific situation addressed but more so they can talk about how to handle these kinds of situations in the future.

Gracemom
06-19-2014, 06:22 PM
I am shocked at how much personal info my kids' teachers share. This did not happen at all when I was a kid as I had mostly Catholic nuns as teachers! Do they not teach boundaries to teachers?? Or have we just gotten a bunch of over sharers? At least my kids' teachers share only their own info. I would not be happy if they were gossiping about others.

JustMe
06-19-2014, 08:15 PM
I a\ Do they not teach boundaries to teachers?? .

I think this is the issue. As far as I can see, most teachers do not get any training/guidance on boundaries, how/what to say to kids about difficult situations, etc. If we are lucky a school counselor gets involved before its too late...seems like that did not happen here.