PDA

View Full Version : S/O...Small spaces and organizing/decorating...favorite websites and resources?

SASM
06-19-2014, 08:06 PM
I am very inspired by the "Small spaces/Large families" thread. We are seriously considering squeezing our family of 5+2 dogs into a 2100sf home with no garage, attic, basement, etc. I would LOVE to know how people stay organized, squeeze into small spaces, and make it WORK! Other than the "If one item comes in, one item goes out" rule, I am lost. I save things...I have a few art pieces for all 3 DCs, some "early grade" writing pieces, a few favorite baby clothing items, etc, but I am REALLY married to my two favorite leather wingback Resto chairs....memories & comfort. Trying to figure out ways to work with small spaces in all aspects of living. I consulted with a decorator for our previously contracted house and will probably consult her services again for ideas but would love to feel empowered before the pro's come in. :) TIA for any advice!!

vejemom
06-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Check out Houzz.com. A decorator clued me in to it, and I spend waaaaay too much time on there!

123LuckyMom
06-19-2014, 08:31 PM
I really find the more shelves, cabinets, drawers, etc. I have the better. If things can go AWAY instead of sitting out it makes such a difference! I also recommend Houzz. I've gotten lots of ideas from there. I built an office into a closet, built bookshelves under a stairway. Every bit of built-in helps tremendously!

SASM
06-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Thank you!! I am addicted to Pinterest and find that a lot of pins are from Houzz. I have the Houzz app but haven't used it in a while...too overwhelming. I think I'll be headed over there after the kids are settled! Thanks!!

abh5e8
06-19-2014, 08:57 PM
scale is really important in small rooms...oversized furniture will really highlight the smallness of the room. simple, understated pieces will really shine in a small space. avoid a cluttered look at all costs...that will scream "SMALL." I tried to maximize every closet and hidden or out of sight space.

mmommy
06-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Great advice so far. We try to find things that serve at least two purposes like storage ottomans, shelving that can have a cushion on top to also be a bench.

SASM
06-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Thank you!!!

Melaine
06-20-2014, 08:27 AM
maybe I am not searching well, but I find houzz just makes me feel jealous and dissatisfied. We just don't have the means to come close to what I am seeing. I also get annoyed when I search pinterest for organization tips and find a ton of custom specialized, expensive or built in features that just aren't practical, ykwim? Like, I can't spend $200 to create a recessed spice storage rack, even if it would save me a square foot of space in my cabinet! I am terrible at utilizing the hidden space in my home and desperately need to do better at it, but I can't spend cash on expensive shelves, baskets, etc. I need cheap/free ideas. I think i actually need common sense ideas because I will go for years doing dumb stuff like storing my glasses far far far away from the fridge without realizing that makes no sense!

Green22
06-25-2014, 01:02 PM
scale is really important in small rooms...oversized furniture will really highlight the smallness of the room. simple, understated pieces will really shine in a small space. avoid a cluttered look at all costs...that will scream "SMALL." I tried to maximize every closet and hidden or out of sight space.

Agree but have a hard time finding this. Any ideas of places to look other than ikea? I have been arranging and rearranging my living room for weeks now and nothing seems to be working!

WatchingThemGrow
06-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Choosing no garage??? I am so sick of sporting goods in the corner of my dining room.i could do the 2100, but a garage space males it all more "right" in my mind.

legaleagle
06-26-2014, 11:07 AM
Agree but have a hard time finding this. Any ideas of places to look other than ikea? I have been arranging and rearranging my living room for weeks now and nothing seems to be working!

Look for things labelled "apartment size" - crate and barrel has a few sofas, room & board sofas come in multiple lengths as well, I'm sure there are other places. Also, clean lines as much as possible rather than the overstuffed look.

jennilynn
06-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Apartmenttherapy.com (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/). They use a lot of IKEA furniture, have budget decorating tips and even have a "small spaces" contest. It's my favorite design blog.