PDA

View Full Version : Decreased supply

TwoBees
06-24-2014, 02:49 PM
DD2 is 6 months and my supply is dwindling. We started solids with about 2 weeks ago, once per day and not every day, and she has also been less interested in nursing. My pumping output is less than half of what it previously was. There have also been lots of stressful things going on in my life, I don't know if that's a factor. Is this just the normal progression, or should I try some things to increase my supply?

Katigre
06-24-2014, 02:50 PM
How often does she nurse at night? That is a KEY factor in maintaining supply.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

TwoBees
06-24-2014, 02:53 PM
How often does she nurse at night? That is a KEY factor in maintaining supply.

I usually nurse her at 8 before putting her to bed, and she is up at least once, sometimes twice. DH has given her bottles for the middle of the night feedings the last several nights because I have been so exhausted and can't catch up on my sleep. Could that be part of the problem?

Philly Mom
06-24-2014, 03:14 PM
I usually nurse her at 8 before putting her to bed, and she is up at least once, sometimes twice. DH has given her bottles for the middle of the night feedings the last several nights because I have been so exhausted and can't catch up on my sleep. Could that be part of the problem?

I would guess that may be some of the problem. DD2 started sleeping through the night around 6.5 months, but was nursing 1 or 2 times a night before then. I thought it really kept my supply up, but the sleep is wonderful and much appreciated at this point. My pumping output has always been bad so I can't be helpful there. I only get 1.5 bottles at best out of pumping during the day, but if we are together on the weekends, she nurses three times during the same time period. I am pretty sure DD2 is drinking a bit less since starting yogurt, but not a ton less. At 7.5 months she is eating quite a bit of food during the day but still nursing or drinking a bottle at daycare every 3 hours, sometimes she goes 4 hours. She only takes 4 oz though each time.

Katigre
06-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Yes, replacing those night feedings with bottles is impacting your supply. Can you nurse her laying down so your sleep is not disrupted as much?