PDA

View Full Version : Need Lightweight bag recs

indigo99
06-30-2014, 10:18 AM
I literally own 3 purses so I really need some advice on this.

DH and I visited Atlanta over the weekend. While trying to carry around a water bottle, a muffin in a bag, a sweater, my phone, and some brochures on Saturday, I realized that I really need to find a good bag for occasions like that. I like the size and looks of the Marc Jacobs preppy sasha bag, but I don't want to carry a $200 bag when I'm a tourist.

I basically want the least weight possible (probably nylon?), ability to carry cross-body, and lots of capacity when needed without looking like you're carrying around a huge bag. I don't need a lot of pockets or organization.

Nooknookmom
06-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Generally Nobody knows what a Marc Jacobs bag is lol...unless we are purse hounds! I have carried nice bags on vaca...I'm hyper villigant about my purse and making sure I have it tucked in my armpit. However if we take the train into the city I would grab my Kipling. Speaking of...look at Kilpling bags. I have used them for EVER as a travel/outing bag...& diaper bag too. Last forever, look cool, lightweight, dry fast if wet.

http://m.kipling-usa.com/categories/handbags

Macy's sells them IRL.

Kindra178
06-30-2014, 11:17 AM
I literally own 3 purses so I really need some advice on this.

DH and I visited Atlanta over the weekend. While trying to carry around a water bottle, a muffin in a bag, a sweater, my phone, and some brochures on Saturday, I realized that I really need to find a good bag for occasions like that. I like the size and looks of the Marc Jacobs preppy sasha bag, but I don't want to carry a $200 bag when I'm a tourist.

I basically want the least weight possible (probably nylon?), ability to carry cross-body, and lots of capacity when needed without looking like you're carrying around a huge bag. I don't need a lot of pockets or organization.

Is a $200 bag too cheap or expensive to carry as a tourist? I am not sure what you are asking. If you want lightweight relatively inexpensive bag with good organization, check out Baggalini or Lug. For sportier styles, try Kipling or Overland. If you want an expensive lightweight bag, no one will be shocked that I recommend MZ Wallace.

AnnieW625
06-30-2014, 11:42 AM
DH bought me this for Christmas (I did send him the link) and I love it because it is versatile and holds a lot. It does get heavy if you carry something like a kindle or ipad mini, but otherwise when it is used as a cross body bag it is pretty light weight. I believe the style has been discontinued so if you want it order it from Zappos, and you can always return it if you hate it. It is $67 (I think DH paid $75 from Kate Spade). I use this bag all of the time.
http://couture.zappos.com/kate-spade-new-york-flatiron-nylon-cammy

Philly Mom
06-30-2014, 11:50 AM
I use the Overland Donner. http://www.rei.com/product/786598/overland-equipment-donner-bag-womens/?cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla_multichannel-_-7865980010&mr:trackingCode=6242B1FE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_multichannel&mr:ad=20834029000&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=35747206396&msid=F0mB3GIe_dc|pcrid|20834029000|

I love it. Has space for two water bottles and holds quite a bit. I use it for two kids, one still in diapers. I only carry my wallet, which is a wristlet, without kids.

This bag from Overland looks nicer but doesn't have the side pockets. http://www.ebags.com/product/overland-equipment/bidwell/234234?productid=10191169&sourceid=ADWPRODUCT&couponid=94790994&gclid=CjkKEQjwlcSdBRD3wva3-KOAo80BEiQAjNIhiSDdIcx_BSA-nXRxA12TfNYMmxUpMO44Dpx-EgVxVU7w_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid^57059724498-sku^10191169-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^33620064618

twowhat?
06-30-2014, 01:43 PM
I second Kipling. I lucked out and found one at Ross as I was looking for a Baggalini-type of bag for Disneyland. I had never heard of the brand before but bought it because it was an awesome cobalt blue color and had everything I was looking for.

I LOVE it. I love it so much I stopped using my regular nice leather purse because this one is so much more practical!! It's a very well-made bag, with AWESOME zippers. that might be the best part about it - the zippers ROCK. They are very smooth and don't snag on anything! It's made of a smooth, lightweight nylon and mine has held up to heavy use. The strap is wide, soft, and adjusts super easily from shoulder bag length to cross-body length. I find I use that feature ALL the time as sometimes I like to have it just on one shoulder while other times I want it across my chest. I also feel like I could throw it in the wash or hand wash it. In fact, I need to do that as it's been everywhere and is getting gross.

ett
06-30-2014, 02:08 PM
I also have an Overland Donner and it's great for flying, amusement parks, etc where I need to carry a bit of stuff. The side for water bottles is very convenient. I use this bag for functionality and not style so when I don't need to carry as much stuff I use my LeSportSac bag.

I recently checked out an MZ Wallace bag at Nordstrom. It's very nice and would totally get one if it was in my budget.

BunnyBee
06-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Is a $200 bag too cheap or expensive to carry as a tourist? I am not sure what you are asking. If you want lightweight relatively inexpensive bag with good organization, check out Baggalini or Lug. For sportier styles, try Kipling or Overland. If you want an expensive lightweight bag, no one will be shocked that I recommend MZ Wallace.

What she said. :)

I love the little orangutan (or whatever) that comes on Kiplings. Also for lightweight/sporty, try LeSportsac.

Globetrotter
06-30-2014, 04:02 PM
I agree. Try Kipling or LeSportsac.

ETA: Also Baggalini..

TwinFoxes
06-30-2014, 06:01 PM
I googled the Marc Jacobs bag. It's totally cute and I would wear that on vacay in Atlanta in a heartbeat. It's not like you're on safari! I just take my regular bags on vacations.

ang79
06-30-2014, 08:26 PM
I have an Overland Donner that I take on vacation, love the two side water bottle pockets, holds quite a bit but not too big. I also have a Vera Bradley Saddle Up (older style) that I use as my everyday crossbody purse, also lightweight and holds a good amount. I keep looking at Baggallini when I see them at TJ Maxx, might need to try one out. I used to have a Lesportsac Everyday Deluxe bag that was very nice too, only sold it because it didn't hold my water bottle upright very well.

indigo99
07-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm one of those who won't even wear jewelry on vacation for fear of someone mugging me. I've never owned a purse that cost as much as $200, but if I had one then I wouldn't feel safe carrying it around on vacation where I'm in unfamiliar surroundings and often not walking around in the best areas.

I like the donner, but I'm wondering if it's big enough. The Overland Belvedere is similar and has the water bottle pockets but is a bit larger I think. I just can't get over that it looks a little too much like a diaper bag.
There are also some interesting Derek Alexander bags that might work. Does anyone know anything about that brand?
I think that ebags has a good bag called Kayla too, but it looks a little too large. Ugh. Is there a perfect bag?

inmypjs
07-03-2014, 01:07 AM
TJ Maxx and Marshalls have Baggallini bags right now - quite a few different sizes and colors.

oneplustwo
07-03-2014, 01:21 AM
There are also some interesting Derek Alexander bags that might work. Does anyone know anything about that brand?
I think that ebags has a good bag called Kayla too, but it looks a little too large. Ugh. Is there a perfect bag?

I have a Derek Alexander bag that I bought a bunch of years ago from ebags. Leather, classic style. Love it to pieces. It's held up beautifully, really well made.