PDA

View Full Version : I don't get this. So unfair (update #17)

♥ms.pacman♥
07-03-2014, 10:49 AM
we were supposed to drive down to the IL's this morning to celebrate 4th of July/DH's birthday. i busted my a$$ this week going in early to work and scrambling to get everything done that needed to get done so I could take today and Monday off. as things are pretty busy. we were so looking forward to this trip. we booked a hotel for one night where DH & I coudl have the day/night to ourselves while kids stayed with the ILs. The kids were really looking forward to it too and were talking about it nonstop.

AND NOW WE CAN"T GO. :( This morning DD woke up , drank her milk, became very sweaty/lethargic and then puked. She seemed way better afterwards (WTF!??), has no fever...but still, don't want to risk driving 6+ hrs with a potentially puking child.

I don't get this. She had diarrhea Sunday, went to school fine Mon but puked Mon night, kept home from school Tues, although she was happy as a clam, totally fine during the day. Wednesday (yesterday), went to school TOTALLY FINE. We had friends visiting in the evening and she happily played, though barely ate much. And now she wakes up sick, and pukes. No fever, just puked and now she feels better, just seems a little tired. WTF!!!

I am just so upset that it's the FOURTH time in the row (in the past year) that we have scheduled a couple's mini vacation to visit ILs and we have had to cancel EVERY.SINGLE.FREAKING.TIME for things that have come up at the last minute. DD has gotten sick right before a trip TWICE (in the FREAKING SUMMER!!!), and then other last minute random things have popped up (DH's work, etc).

I feel so defeated. We so desperately need the time alone (just one FREAKIN' day) yet it seems like we will never ever get it, and that makes me so, so, so sad. :gloomy:

SnuggleBuggles
07-03-2014, 10:51 AM
:(. I'd be really tempted to roll the dice and go anyway.

TwinFoxes
07-03-2014, 10:54 AM
I'm so sorry. I'm another one that'd just go if she didn't seem miserable. But I'm out here in internet land, you're there dealing with reality. :hug: I hope you get to getaway soon.

carolinacool
07-03-2014, 10:56 AM
:(. I'd be really tempted to roll the dice and go anyway.

Me, too.

I'm so sorry. I do remember you having to cancel a trip before because one of your DC was sick. Honestly, I would probably at least try to go. Ugh.

elektra
07-03-2014, 11:30 AM
I'm so sorry. I'm another one that'd just go if she didn't seem miserable. But I'm out here in internet land, you're there dealing with reality. :hug: I hope you get to getaway soon.
Me too. My kids puke on every single trip though, so I am not as phased anymore!

Giantbear
07-03-2014, 11:49 AM
another vote for grab a bucket and hit the road.

specialp
07-03-2014, 11:55 AM

:yeahthat: You're the one there and dealing with it, but if she seems fine I would try it. This has happened to us when our trip was tacked onto the end of a DH business trip so we decided to go and hope for the best, but all was fine and no more episodes.

wellyes
07-03-2014, 11:56 AM
My daughter gets sick at night, fine during the day disease a lot. It SUCKS.
If you don't have an immune-compromised person or newborn at your destination, I'd risk going anyway.
Good luck.

KrisM
07-03-2014, 11:56 AM
I'd also go. Sorry she's sick.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

HannaAddict
07-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Since she seems fine, it could just be a passing food related thing or last gasp of whatever she had and I'd bring a bowl for the car and go. If she seemed worse or gets sick on the way, then return home. That is a long drive though in a heavy traffic weekend - you are tougher than me even if the kids were healthy! Good luck and I'm sorry.

MommyAllison
07-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Ugh, I'm sorry! I agree with PP though, that I'd go if she seems ok. Dairy is hard on a recovering stomach and it could have just been too much, too soon after the virus earlier this week. Either way, I hope you have a fun weekend!

niccig
07-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Ugh, I'm sorry! I agree with PP though, that I'd go if she seems ok. Dairy is hard on a recovering stomach and it could have just been too much, too soon after the virus earlier this week. Either way, I hope you have a fun weekend!

I got a stomach bug 2 weeks back. Awful 24 hours. Then 2 days later I overdid things and was back feeling awful, nauseous, had to stay in bed again. She may have just bounced back to normal too quickly.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-03-2014, 02:58 PM
thanks everyone.

That is a long drive though in a heavy traffic weekend

yes, this is the issue. the traffic gets downright HORRIBLE the day before a holiday. otherwise, we would have just waited a few hrs to see if she was ok. even if we left at noon, we'd be hitting heavy traffic of ppl leaving work early (BTDT), which would be misery in and of itself. if it was a normal weekend, it would have been a different story.

anyway, no more puking, but an hour so ago DD had some diarrhea, so i'm glad we didn't end up going. i just don't personally think it's worth it deal with puke or diarrhea (with nothing but gas stations etc for cleanup) on that long of a road trip. i think i would get sick myself just dealing with the smell for that many hours! it could very well she overdid it too soon after being sick..hoping it's just that.

we are going to try to go and leave EARLY tmw (like 6:00am) if she is feeling better..hopefully we'll avoid most of the traffic, and they'll still hopefully get to do some 4th of July stuff and we will get the 1day/ 1 night to ourselves (we will be driving back Sunday). But good lord, why does it have to be this hard?? It would be comical if it weren't so frustrating. :(

and i agree dairy is hard on a recovering stomach, and i am always the one hesitant to give milk after a kid gets sick. but she had a cup of milk the morning before (wednesday) with no problems, so i don't know.

twowhat?
07-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. That's horribly disappointing:(

Do you think it's the milk? I'm guessing not because she probably drinks it regularly with no issue. I was just wondering if it's a possibility because I can eat all sorts of dairy products with no problems, but cannot drink a glass of straight milk or I'll get the runs. I think I've read somewhere too that any regular old common virus can cause temporary lactose intolerance so maybe that's a possibility.

Hoping you are able to go tomorrow!

DualvansMommy
07-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Such a bummer!! i'm sure it is incredibly frustrating for you, as i remember a similiar thread in the past you had to cancel a trip. Really hoping you guys could leave tomorrow and still get that one day/night to yourself with DH!!!

lmh2402
07-03-2014, 08:01 PM
hope your DD is feeling better and you get your trip and time with DH!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-04-2014, 11:31 AM
thank you everyone. we had everything packed last night to leave early this morning as DD appeared to be feeling much better yesterda, and was eating applesauce, crackers no problem. but then around 11pm she just suddenly woke up and puked. :( Didn't seem fazed at all and went back to sleep. Still no fever. WTF indeed. So we are not going on the trip. Then around 10am today she had the most god-awful vile-smelling diarhea. So, either she got 2 bugs back to back or it's coming back with a vengeance. At least DD seems ok and not that miserable, just extremely tired as she probably has not digested any real food for 2 days.

I think the hardest part was that the kids were SO disappointed that they would not see Nana and Papa this year...they were literally in tears as they were looking forward to it :( THe last time they saw them was in February. Oh and of course it pisses me off that DH & I won't get to get a day/night out to ourselves, the kids won't get to partcipate in ANY of the 4th of July festivities for the 2nd year in a row (as DD was sick last year too). And did i mention today is DH's birthday? Ugh. 2014 definitely was a doozy for birthdays this year (on my birthday 2 months ago were in a car accident where our van ended up being totalled...no major injuries but i am still going to physical therapy for whiplash).

the thing that really sucks is i have limited days off so it's not like we can just plan another trip in a few weeks, especially given i already ate up 2 days PTO (yesterday & Monday) for this trip we aren't even taking, where we can't do anything anyway bc DD is sick. I would have to take at least 2 days off to make a trip worth it, not to mention get everything squared away at work before i leave. GRRR!!

lalasmama
07-04-2014, 11:49 AM
The poop smell has me wondering if she's got a bout of Rotavirus.... That stuff has a nasty smell like no other!

Missed vacations are a bummer (and so are missed couples time!).

twowhat?
07-04-2014, 11:55 AM
That's really rotten that it worked out this way:( She sounds like she has a tummy bug, our ped says he's seen several kids with the same kinds of symptoms but who have no fever and don't act that sick.

And I totally get the PTO thing, it's not like you can easily have a do-over. Last year I was going to take a few days and just stay at home and recover from crazy work while still sending the kids to daycare...and they both got sick the first day of my "vacation" and I lost the entire week of PTO taking care of sick kids, and adding to my "me time" debt.

It's so hard!!

carolinacool
07-04-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm so sorry. Ugh. :(

As for the PTO, can you just go back on Monday? I realize this is highly dependent on the company and its procedures. I would be able to say that my plans changed and I didn't want to burn a day off. It's really wouldn't be a big deal at my company. I hope it's the same for you.

♥ms.pacman♥
07-04-2014, 01:35 PM
As for the PTO, can you just go back on Monday? I realize this is highly dependent on the company and its procedures. I would be able to say that my plans changed and I didn't want to burn a day off. It's really wouldn't be a big deal at my company. I hope it's the same for you.

i totally would done that and actually have done that in the past often (because sadly, this has happened so many times!! :( ) however, this monday afternoon I have two appts scheduled (physical therapy and orthopedic follow up..all related to the accident i was in). i scheduled them knowing we'd back in town and had a day to recover from the trip..figuring it be easier than having to go at 6:30pm after work and not getting home till 8pm. it's too late to reschedule since theyre' on Mon. i suppose i could do a half-day in the morning, but we'll have to see, if DD is still sick and may or may not need a Dr appt herself.

o_mom
07-04-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm so sorry. Ugh. :(

Yes, most places that I have worked that are not schedule-oriented would be fine with this. Hopefully you can reclaim the PTO for Monday at least.