PDA

View Full Version : Love the baby, but I'm done

belovedgandp
07-13-2014, 10:54 PM
We live in a close social neighborhood. I LOVE it most of the time. There are 8 current home owners and another half dozen or so honorary families that are part of this social circle.

So next door neighbor of over 10 years gets married a few years ago and they have baby at the end of June. So sweet, so excited for them.

Except, I'm celebrated and gifted out. Before the birth I attended (and of course gifted at) the gender reveal party, ladies brunch, and couples shower. The same core social circle made up at least 50% of the guest list at all three events.

Close to the due date I took over some home made, ready to freeze, breakfast muffins since we were going to be in and out of town. We were out of town when the "meal train" e-mail came, but figured I was OK with taking my pass on this one. Except I just got hit up with another reminder so I went out and checked. They are doing meals at least three times a week for the entire first two MONTHS of this kids life.

First child. Everyone is home, healthy and fine. It's predominantly spurred by one neighbor who has designated herself as the baby gatekeeper and then gets one-upped by another neighbor who feels her power being usurped. I am jaded and DONE with this action.

TwinFoxes
07-13-2014, 11:32 PM
That's crazy. I thought gender reveals were for family grandparents etc, not for even close friends (they came about after. I had DDs). And what's a "ladies' brunch" in regards to babies? I have a feeling the couple wouldn't mind some family bonding time at this point. I would have bowed out ages ago, you're nicer than me!

georgiegirl
07-14-2014, 07:26 AM
That's insane. When my first was born I got one meal. I got maybe 4-5 when my second was born and none when my third was born. It sounds like some of these moms just like organizing events.

hillview
07-14-2014, 07:50 AM
whackadoodle. I'd just say I was super under water and hope that the gender reveal, showers, and muffins would express my joy sufficiently :)

elliput
07-14-2014, 08:57 AM
Wow. Those ladies are nuts. I'd be done with the insanity also!

MamaMolly
07-14-2014, 10:50 AM
I'm totally jealous of the new mom. And completely understand how you must be feeling. I'd ignore the overly zealous neighbor as you've already done your part.

elephantmeg
07-14-2014, 11:12 AM
I'd ignore it! :)

BDKmom
07-14-2014, 11:20 AM
I think two months of meals is over the top. That's a big burden to put on the other neighbors. If the organizer thinks this is a good idea, let them provide all those meals. I agree with others, just ignore it. Sounds like you have done plenty.

SummerBaby
07-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Good grief! I would have been done a long time ago!

Btw, I've never even heard of a "gender reveal" party!

belovedgandp
07-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks for some commiserating. I'm leaving town again this week, so I'm good for another week or two of avoidance.

wellyes
07-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Ignore it. Empower the other neighbors who think it's nuts to ignore it too.

SAHMIL
07-14-2014, 01:17 PM
You have done more than enough. Just write a friendly note to the new mom that you are willing to come over and hold the baby so she can get a shower or brush her teeth. :) Then reply to the group email that you did THAT and sit back and laugh. ;)

mjs64
07-14-2014, 01:36 PM
That is just wild. And rude--3 events with gifts???

trcy
07-16-2014, 06:42 AM
Ignore it. Empower the other neighbors who think it's nuts to ignore it too.:yeahthat:
I didn't get (or expect) any meals when DD was born and she was hospitalized 2 days after we were released.

KDsMommy
07-16-2014, 10:26 AM
That's crazy!!! We did a gender reveal party with this pregnancy, but specified no gifts. I'm not sure if we're having a baby shower. I would not expect, or be comfortable with, the amount of gifts and stuff they are getting, but that's just me. I say, graciously bow out of the rest!

BunnyBee
07-16-2014, 11:07 AM
That is just wild. And rude--3 events with gifts???

Seriously! My parents didn't give that many baby gifts.

Ignore the email.