PDA

View Full Version : Update on MZ Wallace bag from Ebay

lmintzer
07-14-2014, 09:49 AM
I wound up getting the MZ Wallace Heidi (big/travel) backpack off Ebay for less than half the retail price. NWT, excellent seller who packaged it stuffed an in a big box so it would keep its shape.

All good, right? Well, not really. The bag has a horrrible closure system. I didn't realize that there wasn't a magnetic closure under those straps. To open any of the compartments of the bag, you have to pull the straps out of their clips. And then to close, you have to do the reverse, which takes a little doing (the leather end of the straps is a tight squeeze through the anchor clips). Yes, this makes for a very secure bag, but it's so secure as to be not user friendly at all. I suppose you could just loosen the straps by extending them all the way and then just squeeze things into the backpack through the spaces that creates, but what a pain. I like to be able to open my bags all the way to see the contents! I was so suprised and disappointed by this that I e-mailed MZ Wallace to complain about the design. I heard back from them, but of course, they can't/won't do anything for me since I didn't purchase the bag from them. I only hope that they consider a redesign so that others don't have this experience. The Marlena (smaller) backpack closes so beautifully (and that's the one I saw in person). What a shame.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/lmintzer/ScreenShot2014-07-14at94342AM_zpscb404920.png (http://s59.photobucket.com/user/lmintzer/media/ScreenShot2014-07-14at94342AM_zpscb404920.png.html)

Chitowngirl
07-14-2014, 02:29 PM
I ordered the same backpack during the Easter egg sale and sent it back for the exact same reason. Was going to use is as a nicer diaper backpack and it just would not have been functional to get in and out of which is a shame because other than that it's a beautiful backpack. I wish I had written in sooner to warn you as I was following the other thred, but when you said you saw it at Nordstrom I assumed you were ok with the closures so I didn't say anything. I agree MJ Wallace dropped the ball on this one.

KrisM
07-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Not ideal for sure, but could you get a set of these and replace the buckle with them? http://www.amazon.com/25-Duraflex-Stealth-Plastic-Buckles/dp/B003SZH20A/

niccig
07-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Or maybe take to luggage repair store to see about adding magnetic closures somehow? I've taken a bag into our local place and they added loops to either side of bag so I could use a shoulder strap with the bag.

lmintzer
07-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Or maybe take to luggage repair store to see about adding magnetic closures somehow? I've taken a bag into our local place and they added loops to either side of bag so I could use a shoulder strap with the bag.

I was thinking about bringing it to my local shoe repair guy (who seems pretty good). Not sure where to find a luggage repair place.

TwinFoxes
07-14-2014, 09:03 PM
I was thinking about bringing it to my local shoe repair guy (who seems pretty good). Not sure where to find a luggage repair place.
They're often one and the same.

lmintzer
07-17-2014, 09:54 PM
They're often one and the same.

Thanks. I dropped it at my shoe guy (you were right--they also do a lot of handbags and some luggage). I haven't heard back with an estimate. I have a bad feeling he will be high.

Sigh. Wish I hadn't shopped on Ebay. Hate not being able to return.

daisysmom
07-18-2014, 04:15 PM
My shoe repair guy put a pair of zippers into some Frye boots (that were pull ons, no zippers) that I got last year on sale that I just couldn't quite get on comfortably b/c of my calf size. The zippers look awesome. Shoe repair guys are a lost trade (IMO) but they are worth their weight in gold - I bet yours can find a creative way to add something in.

twowhat?
07-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Wow, who would design a bag like that??? It does look like you could easily add buckles though so maybe try that - I bet you could find some nice hardware to match.

lmintzer
07-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Wow, who would design a bag like that??? It does look like you could easily add buckles though so maybe try that - I bet you could find some nice hardware to match.

The shoemaker found metal clips that match the bag's hardware. He can replace what's there, though he'd have to sew through the bag's lining into an interior pocket (the lining of the bag can't be removed). So it's not a perfect fix, but the repair won't show since the stitching would be hidden within two interior pockets.

I am deciding whether this is worth it--would cost me $65. Probably fair for the quality work this guy does.

I still wish I hadn't bought this bag. For the same price, I could have bought the MZ Wallace Metro Tote for the plane.

hobie
07-21-2014, 03:46 PM
$65 sounds like way too much, but I can sew.

lmintzer
07-25-2014, 08:53 PM
It does seem like a lot! They do a good job, though.

I still am trying to sell it. The whole experience really turned me off to this bag.

crayonblue
07-26-2014, 12:48 AM
What a terrible design! Lisa that would drive me nuts too. Hope you can sell it quickly.

lmintzer
07-27-2014, 10:17 AM
What a terrible design! Lisa that would drive me nuts too. Hope you can sell it quickly.

Thanks, Lana! : )