PDA

View Full Version : Oversupply??

basil
07-14-2014, 10:17 AM
DD is 8 weeks old tomorrow…she's always been a spitter, much more so than DS was. It's literally 1-2 ounces of milk she spits up after feedings (i've weighed it). It's annoying because it's so messy! I had to cover my couch with a towel, she goes through several outfit changes a day despite using bibs, and I pretty much have to keep a hand towel between me and her when she nurses to try catch it, but I'm unsuccessful a few times a day and then need to change myself. She wakes up in the morning soaked through her swaddle and pjs from the shoulders to chest. But she doesn't seem bothered, is growing appropriately, and is a pretty happy baby. I asked my pediatrician about it and she said it was likely just that I have fast flow and that she'd grow into it.

Yesterday I pumped in the morning after she nursed for an upcoming date night. I got 7 ounces!!! With DS, I would always get 2-3 ounces per pumping. So I think this is the problem - that she just drinks too much milk and it overfills her tummy. Like if you just kept pumping gas into your car when your tank was already full.

What is the solution to this? I am sick of the laundry. I would really prefer if it didn't involve the pump though - I'll have enough time with that evil machine when I go back to work in a month.

hellbennt
07-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Try block feeding? Try letting down into a wash cloth before feeding her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk; moderator infantreflux.org/forum

mommylamb
07-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Do you mean she is spitting up after a feeding, or not able to take it all in while she's eating? I think if it's after a feeding, I'd chalk it up to regular baby spit up/poor sphincter muscle.

I had an oversupply, and both my boys had to use a nipple shield at first because it was just too much for them and they couldn't stay latched on with all that milk. But I was also pumping 10-12 oz in less than 10 minutes for pumping sessions. It really was just way too much. I leaked all over and had to sleep on towels every night and inevitably would have to change my sheets daily because I always just work up in a puddle, even though I slept with a nursing bra on with nursing pads the entire time I nursed. It was awful. I felt dirty and sticky all the time. It did slow down eventually, but I hated it. DS2 stopped nursing over a year and a half ago now, and I can still pinch and get milk out.

basil
07-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Wow, mommylamb, that's a lot!

She spits up right after feeding…like in the 2 seconds when I'm fiddling trying to clasp my bra is her favorite time. I do remember DS having problems with the flow and it running down his cheeks, but he never spit up this much!

It just seemed abnormal to me that I could pump 7 oz even right after she fed. And then the rest of the morning she spit up a lot less, like tablespoons full per feeding. It was so nice!

ETA and when I give her a bottle of pumped milk…usually around 2-2.5 oz she hardly spits up.

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Eh. Both my kids were happy spitters til around 6m. The laundry isn't ideal but they were content, never in pain and grew well so I didn't rock the boat. :). Just buy a lot of bibs. Easier than changing whole outfits.

Katigre
07-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Definitely block feeding will help as well as the passage of time.

You could probably easily get enough excess milk to donate too.

basil
07-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Eh. Both my kids were happy spitters til around 6m. The laundry isn't ideal but they were content, never in pain and grew well so I didn't rock the boat. :). Just buy a lot of bibs. Easier than changing whole outfits.

the bibs I have don't contain it…what I really need is one for me! :)