PDA

View Full Version : What's a good place to buy sunglasses?

citymama
07-24-2014, 04:51 AM
I had sticker shock when I stopped by Sunglass Hut last week - the shades I liked were around $250-300! I have weak eyes, and don't want to buy junk, but I also know that the likelihood of my losing the glasses within weeks is very high. What's a good place to get quality sunglasses without breaking the bank? How much should I expect to pay? And finally, what are the criteria by which to evaluate better quality lenses versus cr@ppy ones? We leave on vacation in a week and I'd love to get a good pair before then.

Many thanks for any advice! :)

TwinFoxes
07-24-2014, 06:17 AM
Costco sells brand name sunglasses at a good price. But, if you're talking non-prescription, I don't think there's any difference between $300 lenses and $30 lenses, you're paying for the frames. Make sure the lenses say they block 99% of UV rays. It's nice if they are polarized, just because they're easier on your eyes. Other than that it's designer names/style.

citymama
07-24-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks! I am looking for non prescription. I will check out Costco ASAP!

nfowife
07-24-2014, 12:58 PM
I get my sunglasses at TJMaxx. Good selection, on-trend styles, and $10-$20. That way I don't feel too guilty when I inevitably lose them or they get broken by a kid.

BigDog
07-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I've never liked wearing sunglasses until I discovered polarized lenses. Now I won't buy anything else, even though polarized sunglasses are $$. Costco had a variety of polarized sunglasses for cheap recently though and I picked up a pair under $25. Styles were limited but they had a few designer brands for around $40-$60.

lizzywednesday
07-24-2014, 03:27 PM
I've been as happy with my $7 specials from H&M as I've been with my $40 ones from Fossil. Before that, I was wearing $18 sunglasses from Target.

All offer high UV protection, with varying tints.

I don't get polarized lenses.

*newmomma*
07-24-2014, 03:38 PM
I have good luck at both TJMaxx and Nordstrom Rack.

What does polarized mean? Not sure if mine are or not?!

cagey
07-24-2014, 04:24 PM
I get all of my and the kids glasses (always polarized) from Sierra Trading post. I like the ative brand ($99+ in stores) for myself and I rarely pay more than $30 a pair. Yes, downside is that you can't try them on, but you can google the name and see how they look on other people to get a good idea, then always send 'em back if you dont like them.

Costco is good, too. I avoid 'rack' sunglasses as I feel they're all stretched out and scratched by everyone trying them on.

Twoboos
07-24-2014, 04:27 PM
TJMaxx and Marshalls. I keep finding the Cole Haan aviators I loooove there for like $16!

94bruin
07-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Hmm, will have to stop by some of the stores mentioned above. When we were at Nordstroms this past weekend, and I tried on some from the sales rack. Then DD1 randomly grabbed a pair of Jimmy Choos off the regular rack. They looked great on my until I saw the $325 price tag. :eek:

Kindra178
07-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Kate Spade from Amazon.

TwinFoxes
07-24-2014, 08:15 PM
Hmm, will have to stop by some of the stores mentioned above. When we were at Nordstroms this past weekend, and I tried on some from the sales rack. Then DD1 randomly grabbed a pair of Jimmy Choos off the regular rack. They looked great on my until I saw the $325 price tag. :eek:

I admit, I have a serious weakens for designer sunglasses. Pre-kids it was a bit ridiculous, but now I keep it to one pair, and they're prescription, so insurance pays for part.

boolady
07-24-2014, 09:01 PM
I had a great pair of Michael Kors sunglasses that I found at Marshall's. I believe they were $40 at Marshall's, and were heavily
discounted. I lost those, and love the $70 Fossil ones I splurged on. Once I owned a nice pair of sunglasses that felt substantial, I got used to the feel. I do have an Old Navy pair for the beach, though, so I don't scratch my everyday pair or get them smeary with sunscreen. They were less than $15.

Eta: just looked. I was wrong. My Fossils were $95, not that it matters. The Lynn rectangle style.

citymama
07-25-2014, 03:56 AM
I admit, I have a serious weakens for designer sunglasses. Pre-kids it was a bit ridiculous, but now I keep it to one pair, and they're prescription, so insurance pays for part.

Ooh, smart move. I bought glasses this year already, and insurance only contributes some $ (something like $100) towards one prescription glasses purchase a year. But I'll keep it mind for next year!

pastrygirl
07-25-2014, 12:34 PM
I have good luck at both TJMaxx and Nordstrom Rack.

What does polarized mean? Not sure if mine are or not?!

When shopping, I make sure mine have a "Polarized" sticker. Sometimes they'll say polarized in the tiny print etched into the glasses, where the brand is listed. To test... Look into something that would produce glare. If you see glare and need to adjust your sunglasses to see, then they are not polarized. If you can see just fine, they're probably polarized. I used to have to take mine off to cross the street because I could only see the glare of sunlight on asphalt. No more!

pomegranate
07-25-2014, 12:54 PM
Nordstrom's Anniversary Sale has some good prices on designer sunglasses right now. That's where I usually buy mine. I've also seen nice ones at Costco.

*newmomma*
07-25-2014, 01:08 PM
When shopping, I make sure mine have a "Polarized" sticker. Sometimes they'll say polarized in the tiny print etched into the glasses, where the brand is listed. To test... Look into something that would produce glare. If you see glare and need to adjust your sunglasses to see, then they are not polarized. If you can see just fine, they're probably polarized. I used to have to take mine off to cross the street because I could only see the glare of sunlight on asphalt. No more!

Thank you! I don't think mine are :-(

Babymakes3
07-27-2014, 05:17 PM
I got my Ray-bans off Amazon for around $100! Love them!

legaleagle
07-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Sierra Trading Post always has a ton- if you have a coupon you can get really nice ones for <$50

citymama
07-27-2014, 07:42 PM
I got my Ray-bans off Amazon for around $100! Love them!

Definitely not a Raybans kind of gal! But amazon and STP are great ideas. I was hoping to get to Costco this weekend but it didn't happen.

Babymakes3
07-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Definitely not a Raybans kind of gal! But amazon and STP are great ideas. I was hoping to get to Costco this weekend but it didn't happen.

I'm not either with their trendy pairs but these were perfect!
http://www.sunglasshut.com/us/805289086581

citymama
07-28-2014, 01:52 AM
I'm not either with their trendy pairs but these were perfect!
http://www.sunglasshut.com/us/805289086581

Those are sharp! I keep think of Raybans in terms of Tom Cruise aviator shades circa Top Gun. I would totally wear those.

kerridean
07-28-2014, 05:05 PM
Amazon-Polarized Ray Bans as well here! Love them!

citymama
08-02-2014, 02:47 AM
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. Costco came through! My Costco had a pretty good selection of mostly high-end sunglasses. The polarized selection was somewhat smaller, looked like about 15 options, none of which I liked. I was about to get a non-polarized pair when I spotted a locked case with another 20-30 styles, and once they finally unlocked it, found my perfect (and polarized) pair! They're made by Furla, and I love them. $53 was a pretty great price too, I ended up buying the floor model because they were completely sold out. Non-Costco online retailers are selling them for $169!

Feeling more ready for Maui now! ;)

larig
08-02-2014, 11:30 AM
I get my sunglasses at TJMaxx. Good selection, on-trend styles, and $10-$20. That way I don't feel too guilty when I inevitably lose them or they get broken by a kid.

:yeahthat: