PDA

View Full Version : my baby girl :(

petesgirl
07-26-2014, 07:08 PM
So i just got home from work...to find that DH has shaved DD's hair off. That's right folks- my baby girl is completely bald. I know she is only 5 months old but she did have some hair. Not anymore. He has been complaining about how some hairs are longer than others and saying he wanted to even them out but I never expected him to actually shave it all! Im so sad :(

boogiemom
07-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Oh my goodness! I would be devastated about her hair and absolutely livid that he did that without talking with me first. I am so sorry.

OKKiddo
07-26-2014, 07:28 PM
OMG!!! I would have KILLED my husband (with an a$$ chewing)!! And DH came running over to see what I was reading and said "That man is stupid, what's wrong with him?!!" I am so so sorry. Time to use this mutilation to go buy lots and lots of super cute hair bands with huge bows on them. Also, take heart because my neighbor back in Colorado was from Pakistan and they shaved their ds's head when he was just shy of a year because she said that's what they do in her family to make sure the hair grows in nice and thick instead of fine and thin. <3

StantonHyde
07-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I understand that in some cultures, they shave babies heads so that all their hair comes in thick. Try to think of it that way!

DietCokeLover
07-26-2014, 07:37 PM
What was he thinking?!

georgiegirl
07-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Whaaaat?!? Hopefully it will grow back soon. He should lose his scissor privileges

hillview
07-26-2014, 07:46 PM
WOW. I would be PISSED. Seriously MAD. DH would be in BIG trouble. He once cut the boys hair and I was livid.

Corie
07-26-2014, 08:31 PM
I would shave all the hair off his head.

elliput
07-26-2014, 08:58 PM
That is just wrong Wrong WRONG!!! He had better be thinking really hard of some way to make retribution. :hopmad:

OKKiddo
07-26-2014, 09:05 PM

That is just wrong Wrong WRONG!!! He had better be thinking really hard of some way to make retribution. :hopmad:

I think what Corie said would be a nice way to do that. In fact, shave it off in his sleep. Then he'll understand the shock to your system that you had when you first saw your dd.

JBaxter
07-26-2014, 09:11 PM
OMG I would .... OMG. I'd kill seriously Not even my BOYS would I allow that

BunnyBee
07-26-2014, 09:26 PM

Seriously! WTF?!?

doberbrat
07-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Thats So Strange?! What on earth did he say??

I would have TOTALLY Freaked!

petesgirl
07-26-2014, 09:55 PM
I understand that in some cultures, they shave babies heads so that all their hair comes in thick. Try to think of it that way!

This is what he said he read online somewhere....sigh. Hopefully it really works.
To be fair, i gave DS a buzz cut when DH was out of town a few weeks ago but 1) DS is a boy- short hair is par for the course and 2) it was his second buzz of the season, so it was not unexpected.

Oh well...hair grows back....

mjs64
07-26-2014, 09:57 PM

I would shave all the hair off his entire body.

Grr. I'm pissed off on your behalf!

petesgirl
07-26-2014, 11:09 PM
I would shave all the hair off his entire body.

Grr. I'm pissed off on your behalf!
Funny thing is, he wouldnt care--he hates hair. He has begged me to shave his back (and it isnt even that hairy!) But i wont do it.

PZMommy
07-27-2014, 01:43 AM
I would be livid!!!

One of the times my DS was hospitalized his roommate was a little girl who was completely bald. I just assumed it was medical related, but then the mom was telling me that they shaved her head so it would grow back thicker. I was shocked. Whether it works or not, I don't know, but I would never try it.

crayonblue
07-27-2014, 03:59 AM
Well I'll have to ask my mom if she shaved my head cause I have crazy thick hair. Although she does too and so do my DDs so I'm thinking genes play a part. :) I would be LIVID if DH did that!!!!!!

KDsMommy
07-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Ugggggg...I'm so sorry!

I'm going to have to have this conversation with DH. He's from Venezuela and apparently this is something they do in that culture. I do know he shaved DSS3's head as a small infant. I don't know if this goes for girls as well, but he better not touch her hair!

specialp
07-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Yes, it is hair and will grow back, but a first time head shave of an infant is still something you discuss before doing (in my family at least). Does he feel bad at all?

123LuckyMom
07-27-2014, 09:40 AM
I would be so angry I'd be unable to SPEAK! First of all, the whole growing back thicker is an old wive's tale. It's not true. The actual hairs may seem coarser due to being frayed by the razor, but the only thing that makes hair thicker is more hair growing. That will happen naturally as she gets older, so it may seem it's the shaving that did it, but it would have happened naturally anyway. Secondly, if it was growing unevenly the first time it probably will again, because she's still gaining hair, but now she'll have stubble instead of an intact hair shaft! Baby girl hair rarely looks decent before age 2. Is he going to keep shaving her head until she's in preschool?

Don't worry, though. Her hair will grow back and be beautiful. Just don't let your DH believe for a minute that it's because he shaved her!

okinawama
07-27-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm so sorry! If you could only see my face as I read your story! Clearly he knew that what he was about to do was not a good idea, because he waited for you to be out of the house.I mean, who actually does something like that?! To their daughter?! That's nuts! You have a great attitude about it, and you're right, it is only hair.

Fairy
07-27-2014, 02:36 PM
WTF?

That's not what partners in a relationship and in parenting a child do. Forget that it's stupid -- cuz it is -- but who does that without the consent of the other parent, whether it's behind their back, in defiance of their wishes, or just plain without consulting them? She's a baby, hair grows in funny sometimes when they're not even old enough to effing sit up on their own. I mean, seriously. This is one of the most bothersome things I've read on the BBB. It's really under my skin.

MamaMolly
07-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Lula had kooky hair as an infant. First it was almost black when she was born, then was blonde, so it looked like a grown out dye job. Then she lost a huge patch in the back, and had ringlets that grew down over her ears. I got plenty of advise on how I needed to cut it, trim the curls, etc.etc but I didn't touch it and she has beautiful, thick hair.

I'd shave off DH's eyebrow. Just one. So he can explain to everyone what he did and they can tell him how lucky it was his JUST his eyebrow that was removed.

lizzywednesday
07-27-2014, 05:32 PM

I'd shave off DH's eyebrow. Just one. So he can explain to everyone what he did and they can tell him how lucky it was his JUST his eyebrow that was removed.

I'm sorry about your DH, OP, but this comment made me think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5-xS9sDuLg

The hair will grow back. My DD's hair was all kinds of whack when she was an infant. That's how babies' hair IS.

And I didn't have hers cut before she was almost 18 months old, mostly because it was getting into her eyes and that annoyed me.

MamaInMarch
07-27-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm so sorry. I'm with Fairy on this one - that's not what partners do. Yes, it's just hair and yes, it will grow again. But to do it without talking to you and you being present is not ok.

A dear friend growing up had a much younger sibling and it was a cultural tradition to shave a baby's head as discussed upthread. They did shave the youngest DD's head at around a year *as part of her 1st birthday celebration and they were all present*.

I'm so sorry.

flashy09
07-28-2014, 01:48 PM
OMG! WTF! That is so awful and hilarious at the same time. I just can't wrap my head around that he SHAVED the baby's head!?!

petesgirl
07-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Thank you all for being angry with me about this! I'm over it now, after all it will grow back. And at least he waited until after all the major family get togethers were over.

klwa
07-29-2014, 12:34 PM
Thank you all for being angry with me about this! I'm over it now, after all it will grow back. And at least he waited until after all the major family get togethers were over.
Glad you're feeling better about it now. Reminds me of DH when DD1 was about 2 years old. I mentioned that I needed to take her to get a haircut soon because she was really rockin' the baby mullet, but I hated to get those pretty curls in the back cut off. Left to go to the grocery store, and came back to find that he had decided that I meant she needed her bangs cut. So he had done it, pretty severely. Which just made the baby mullet that much worse.

kwc
07-29-2014, 04:59 PM

OMG. This is exactly what I thought.

I am sorry....

twowhat?
07-30-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm with targeting one of his eyebrows.

I mean, WHUCK?????? WHO DOES THAT???? I've heard of the cultural thing where you shave and "it comes back in thick". No, no, no that is a complete old wive's tale, shaving does NOTHING to the texture/thickness of your hair (OK, reminds me of a Seinfeld episode involving chest hair).

But WHUCK?????? I am so glad you have made peace with this because O.M.F.G.