PDA

View Full Version : Summer homework?

hbridge
07-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Update in #5

How much pressure do you put on your child for summer homework? DC hates the computer, yet the school has assigned required on-line summer work...

egoldber
07-28-2014, 02:43 PM
Have you explained to the summer work coordinator about her math anxiety and general anxiety? It is very typical for many kids to have some sort of testing accommodation. If they are not receptive, then I would try and speak to the counselor and/or school psychologist. They typically work over the summer. I would explain to them her math anxiety and testing anxiety. They can probably intervene with whoever is coordinating the summer math program.

Does she have a 504 or an IEP? If not, I would start the process for getting her one (the counselor/psychologist can help with this too) because there is more and more on-line testing these days.

hbridge
07-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks for your reply. DC is on an IEP. It took a week for the school to let us know what the summer work was and now (a month into summer) they are telling us that they have to use the computer if there is access. Where as initially, that was simply a request and the packet, that DC has completed, was available as an alternative. I hate that every summer is simply a continuation of the pressures from school. It's ridiculous. DC hates the pressures of school and I hate being the bad guy about homework. There is never a break. I just want to cry, the poor child is finally relaxed and enjoying life for the first time in almost three years and I feel like we need to ramp up this math so that it's done for the beginning of the year. Of course I am totally type A and feel like we have to complete this assignment. DC's IEP is very heavy on technology, but DC refuses to use it. The IEP transition meeting was interesting since they were talking about technology accomodations and we simply stated that those wouldn't work. The new school was very confused as is every teacher we have spoken with.

The last thing I want to do is to start making excuses for DC before we have even started in this new school, but right now I am ready to pull the child from school due to the pressure of the summer work! Unfortunately, there is no alternative school!

egoldber
07-28-2014, 07:42 PM
So they want her to re-do work on the computer that she has already done?

I would just tell them no, sorry, she already did it on paper like you TOLD US it was OK to do. And I would flat out tell them that you will be asking for an accommodation to use paper vs the computer in her IEP. Don't let them bully you. They want you to use the computer because it's easier for them.

DC's IEP is very heavy on technology, but DC refuses to use it.

The IEP is supposed to make the curriculum accessible to HER and customize the curriculum for HER. Many kids do find technology easier (vs. handwriting) but not all kids. Maybe she can have as a goal in her IEP for this year to be using technology X% of the time. But right now she needs a paper based model.

hbridge
08-22-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the help. It took major bribing, but last week DC actually did some of the work on the computer. We finally met with the teacher yesterday and found out that the she was not doing the correct part of the program... The teacher sat with her and explained what needed to be done and the SPED teacher actually expects her to have the computer portion complete by Tuesday, Um NO!

Of course DD still doesn't actually understand what is expected and is now more frustrated than ever. Ugh. So my new plan is to essentially write a note to her teacher explaining what happened and have DD hand in the note with the written packet.

This counts as an assessment grade and the schools expectation is certainly not complete. What a way to start a new year in a new school ! And what a way to completely frustrate a new family!

elephantmeg
08-22-2014, 10:19 PM
aww, that sucks. I'm sorry!