PDA

View Full Version : This Cat is Killing Me

anonomom
07-29-2014, 02:59 PM
My cat is 14 and has hyperthyroid and kidney failure. I've spent near $1000 this year trying (in vain) to treat the thyroid issues and he's having none of it. Won't take pills (even hidden in treats and/or food), and won't even let me rub the topical medicine into his ears. He spent a whole week hiding from me, just because I tried to give him a non-invasive, totally painless treatment! He'd down to half his normal weight. It's heartbreaking -- he spends much of every day begging me for food, but then he won't eat what I give him. He's a finicky eater-- for example, last week he stopped eating his normal food, but would accept Trader Joe's cat tuna (the only wet food he'll touch). Now he won't touch the tuna but will eat the Meow Mix I bought in desperation. Who knows what he'll want tomorrow? There are days when he doesn't eat anything at all, despite the begging.

It's just so hard watching this. For now, we've decided to stop harrassing him with the medication, because I'd rather he lead a short life with lots of love and snuggles than spend the next months hiding from us. But knowing he's just going to keep getting sicker and not knowing how much longer he has is killing me. And I feel terribly guilty that I'm giving up on treating him (the vet is NOT helpful with this, as she doesn't understand why I can't/don't simply hold him down and pill him. But he's so terrified in her office that's he's totally docile, unlike at home).

Just needed to vent.

MamaMolly
07-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Sending you and kitty a big hug. I agree that having him end his days loved and cuddled is the very best thing for him. Don't give the vet's opinion too much weight. She has more that altruistic reasons for keeping your cat going. I'm a firm believer that in doing right by our pets does not always mean prolonging their lives with extreme or very unpleasant measures. Listen to your heart.

BunnyBee
07-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Poor kitty. I know how hard it is! Cats *hate* pills. :hug:

Cam&Clay
07-29-2014, 06:43 PM
I'm so sorry about your kitty.

My vet encouraged me to have one of my cats put to sleep because of the fact that you could not treat her with any kind of medication. She called it "inability to treat" and said it was the humane thing to do because her kidneys were failing and it was going to be hard to watch.

123LuckyMom
07-29-2014, 07:17 PM
We spent a fortune doing a radio active treatment on our kitty for thyroid issues because she wouldn't take pills, either. She was only 11, and the treatment worked. Unfortunately, she died of a different, though possibly related, condition just a few years later. When our other kitty went into kidney failure, one of the reasons we decided not to take drastic measures was that we knew that the unlikely best case scenario would require a daily pill for the rest of his life. We knew that would be akin to torture, and we euthanized. I understand your choice. Some cars really are better off at peace than being tortured with daily medicating.

Indianamom2
07-29-2014, 07:39 PM
I am right there with you, except that our cat (who refuses all treatment, except she doesn't hide, she gets VERY mean) is constantly trying to eat anything she can get too. She barely weighs 5 lbs and is 14 years old. I know she probably won't make it much longer, but I am trying to do everything I can to make her life good in the time that she has left. However when she shows any other sign of distress I think I'm going to take her in to the vet to have her put to sleep. I don't want her to suffer.

It's hard either way, isn't it? :hug:

anonomom
07-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Thank you all so much. I've been feeling like a monster because I haven't managed to get him to take his medicine. It's incredibly comforting to know that it's not uncommon.

Philly Mom
07-29-2014, 09:36 PM
We have a diabetic cat. She is only 9. She almost died 3 years ago because we could not get her to take her insulin. She would hide from us and it became a fight. Literally chasing her around the house. It was miserable. We finally figured out a solution but it is not perfect. I have to sneak the shot in while she is eating. It is not easy. She still misses insulin doses because she refuses to come near us. This is especially true if the kids get up before we get a chance to give her the shot or if the phone rings or someone steps too loudly or any number of things. We are lucky because our vet knows our cat and is very supportive. There is no way we could pill her every day. We have had to try at times because she needed antibiotics when she was at her sickest. She ended up needing to be boarded at the vet.

Cats have strong opinions. 14 years is a good life. Make her comfortable and loved.

kdeunc
07-30-2014, 09:28 AM
I feel your pain. 15 year old, hyperthyroid with severe food allergies (one specific brand of limited ingredient food only). I would rather try to pill a tiger than this cat! He usually will eat the pill in food but if he refuses, he refuses. I am not going to stress him (and me) trying to force the issue. You are doing the best you can by loving him and letting him be!

larig
07-30-2014, 01:17 PM
Right there with you with our 16 year old dog. :hug:

gamma
08-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Same with our cat! He is 23 and no treatment given. We have been saying for years...he won't see another summer, he won't see another Christmas! However, he is still with us!

Pear
08-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Towards the end we were giving our cat daily injections plus subcutaneous fluids. Luckily she was complaint with the process. It didn't help though. Her kidneys still shut down completely and we chose to end her misery.

Our vet was extremely supportive of us during this process. She recommended treatments and testing, but was honest with what the odds were for effectiveness. When I called to say I thought it was time, I expected to have her. Try to talk me out of it. She did not. She asked many questions and then agreed that the bad outweghed the good. If your vet is being judgmental I would look for a new vet.