PDA

View Full Version : Tips for jumpstarting weight loss?

Green_Tea
07-29-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm feeling frustrated - I have been exercising, eating clean, no carbs, etc. for the past 10 or so days, and my scale has not budged at all. I used to be able to lose weight fairly easily, and if I behaved myself I could count on dropping two pounds a week. I have gained 20 lbs since my lowest weight in 2011, and I am feeling rather crappy about it. I want feel fantastic on my 40th birthday in February!

So, spam me your best jumpstart tips!

hellokitty
07-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Have you looked into 5:2 fasting? There is a pretty big thread here on it. I did whole 30 and liked it, but every time we went on a trip or I had a bunch social get together, it would throw me off track. 5:2 fasting has been working out really well for me. I'm losing onkybabout a lb a wk, hut having no problems maintaining the at loss while losing more. Socially, I work it around social events, so I find it very manageable.

hillview
07-30-2014, 08:59 AM
Log in MFP, if you are eating clean and exercising and no carbing, I'd assume you are eating more calories than you should (don't know!), I will say it is HARD to lose weight as you get older (I am 43). What are you doing for exercise? How much? How often?

ETA: MFP = Myfitnesspal

wendibird22
07-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Following. I'm 39, have taken up jogging, track on MFP, went of BC pill, and still can't budge the scale.

Green_Tea
07-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Have you looked into 5:2 fasting? There is a pretty big thread here on it. I did whole 30 and liked it, but every time we went on a trip or I had a bunch social get together, it would throw me off track. 5:2 fasting has been working out really well for me. I'm losing onkybabout a lb a wk, hut having no problems maintaining the at loss while losing more. Socially, I work it around social events, so I find it very manageable.

I can't fast - it will make me WAY too cranky! I admire those of you who can, though.

Green_Tea
07-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Log in MFP, if you are eating clean and exercising and no carbing, I'd assume you are eating more calories than you should (don't know!), I will say it is HARD to lose weight as you get older (I am 43). What are you doing for exercise? How much? How often?

ETA: MFP = Myfitnesspal

I have been tracking calories and am coming in between 1000-1300 a day. I am under 5 feet, so this is consistent with what MFP and other sites recommend for me.

In terms of exercise, I am getting 10,000 steps+ a day, plus adding either an extra walk or power yoga a few times a week. I am moving considerably more now than I was a few weeks ago, and definitely consuming fewer calories. I just don't understand why the scale is not moving! I spoke with my doctor about it, and her response was, "Well, you're almost 40." Sigh.

PS - my thyroid is fine :)

daisysmom
08-01-2014, 08:55 PM
Are you taking a probiotic? I thought invade heard if every weight loss secret out there and then I read an article in Heath magazine that had some statistic that taking a daily probiotic helps lose stomach gas/bloat that adds weight. I have added one in (culterelle) and tmi but I am pooping twice a day for the first time in years! Not sure about weight loss tho bc haven't gotten in the scale.
It is so hard to lose weight at my age (45). My ob told me in an appt a few weeks ago that once you are squarely in menopause (I am, with newly diagnosed low testosterone) your body holds on to every calorie.

BabyBearsMom
08-01-2014, 09:17 PM
I have doing PiYO for the last 5 weeks and love it. I follow the eating plan and do the workouts. The work outs range from 20 to 45 minutes 6 days a week. So far I've lost over 10lbs (after being stuck on a plateau for 3 months before I started this) and 2" from my waist, 2" from my hips and 2" from my chest plus inches from my thighs and arms. The workouts are low impact but very efficient. I am totally addicted. I would recommend it to anyone looking to lose weight or improve fitness.

JElaineB
08-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Can you clarify what you mean by "no carbs"? How much protein are you eating? How much fat? Have you had a full thyroid panel done lately or do you have any other medical issues?

Green_Tea
08-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Can you clarify what you mean by "no carbs"? How much protein are you eating? How much fat? Have you had a full thyroid panel done lately or do you have any other medical issues?

My thyroid is tested regularly because I have Hashimotos. I don't have other medical issues.

By no carbs I mean no bread, pasta, chips, ride, corn, potatoes, etc. I am eating lots of veggies and some fruits.

I am eating quite a bit of protein in the form of lean meats, eggs, full fat cheese, avocado, peanut butter. My fats come from those sources as well.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-02-2014, 11:32 PM
I recently lost 3-4 lbs after being at the same weight for ~1 year. And i have been eating gluten-free for about 2 years, dairy-free/minimal grains for several months already.

What has helped me is not eating ANYTHING with added sugar. Only sugar is from fruit. It's crazy sounding, but the less sugar I have, the less I crave it and the less junk I want to eat in general, and the less crappier I feel overall (so more able to exercise, etc).

Also, as part of my physical therapy (for whiplash for a car accident), I had to do some exercises with weights...I think that helped increase my metabolism.

And IMO, 10 days of is not that long of a time for weight-loss. For me, it typically takes MONTHS of eating well/exercising to see progress. I lost nearly 40 lbs (all the baby weight and then some) but it literally took me 3 years to do, with lots of plateaus for several months to a year. The upside of this is that it is easier to maintain it and harder to gain it back :)

mom2binsd
08-02-2014, 11:53 PM
I lost 35 pounds, at age 46, taking garcinia cambogia, it totally helped me curb my appetite, I was able to eat fewer carbs without craving them, I lost the weight over 5 months, just ate a little less and did no exercise. I've maintained the weight loss and still take it as it seems to still help keep me on track . No side effects and it's pretty cheap.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

lizzywednesday
08-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Lower the thermostat overnight. There was a small study recently that suggested sleeping cooler had metabolic gains. It doesn't have to be frigid, just cooler.

Beyond that, keeping your body fueled properly helps a great deal.

You might also want to look into diversifying your exercise plan - just walking may not be enough for the results you're seeking.

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Weight training. See if you can find a Group Power or Body Pump class. The pace of class gives you some cardio. It's high reps, low(er) weights. I credit it for past weight loss.

jgenie
08-03-2014, 09:39 AM
I have doing PiYO for the last 5 weeks and love it. I follow the eating plan and do the workouts. The work outs range from 20 to 45 minutes 6 days a week. So far I've lost over 10lbs (after being stuck on a plateau for 3 months before I started this) and 2" from my waist, 2" from my hips and 2" from my chest plus inches from my thighs and arms. The workouts are low impact but very efficient. I am totally addicted. I would recommend it to anyone looking to lose weight or improve fitness.

Is there a website or book you like with more info on this?

BabyBearsMom
08-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Is there a website or book you like with more info on this?

It's a program through Beach Body (same company as p90x and Insanity). It is a combo of Pilates and Yoga with strength and cardio training. The eating is all whole foods, a mix of protein, veggies, fruit and small amounts of grains/starches and fats.

Indianamom2
08-08-2014, 10:13 PM
I lost 35 pounds, at age 46, taking garcinia cambogia, it totally helped me curb my appetite, I was able to eat fewer carbs without craving them, I lost the weight over 5 months, just ate a little less and did no exercise. I've maintained the weight loss and still take it as it seems to still help keep me on track . No side effects and it's pretty cheap.

I've toyed with the idea of trying this, but I'm always hesitant to take the popular supplements. Did it really curb your appetite a lot? I need to lose some weight but with all my disc/sciatic/surgery issues, I know all high impact exercising is out and I have no willpower. I'd love to find something that just curbed my appetite. Also, what brand do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

mom2binsd
08-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Indianamom2, yes it really did and it was amazing how good I felt too. I buy the brand Bio Nutrition, I get it locally or online, 60 capsules for 15.99 at my natural grocery store and take 1 capsule about an hour before each meal. No side effects and it really helped with carb and sugar cravings.

Indianamom2
08-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Indianamom2, yes it really did and it was amazing how good I felt too. I buy the brand Bio Nutrition, I get it locally or online, 60 capsules for 15.99 at my natural grocery store and take 1 capsule about an hour before each meal. No side effects and it really helped with carb and sugar cravings.

Thanks so much for replying. I will definitely have to take a look at this after surgery (don't want to start something before that just in case it would somehow interfere).

crayonblue
08-11-2014, 09:22 PM

I'm on week 2 of PiYo and I love it! I cannot even explain how sore my muscles have been this past week though. :) I love Chalene and follow her on FB too. Such a positive, fun person.

DH is on week 3 of Insanity. Yeah. If you want to lose weight fast, jump right into that one. It's CRAZY.

lovin2shop
08-12-2014, 01:29 PM
I just finished week 1 of PiYo. Oh my! I'm sore! But, it is doable, even for a non-coordinated, non-athete like me. I love that the workouts are fast but effective!

minnie-zb
08-12-2014, 02:53 PM
It is your Hashimoto's. I talked to my doctor about this recently. I can't lose weight. I'm a little older than you -- I'm 43 and nothing I do will lose weight. She told me combined with my age, the Hashimoto's is making it more difficult. She suggested a low-carb diet, but it sounds like you are already doing this. I feel like I'm being a wet rag and I get your frustration as I'm very frustrated and saddened by the weight.

Green_Tea
08-12-2014, 04:31 PM
It is your Hashimoto's. I talked to my doctor about this recently. I can't lose weight. I'm a little older than you -- I'm 43 and nothing I do will lose weight. She told me combined with my age, the Hashimoto's is making it more difficult. She suggested a low-carb diet, but it sounds like you are already doing this. I feel like I'm being a wet rag and I get your frustration as I'm very frustrated and saddened by the weight.

Did she say what, specifically, about it being Hashimoto's was the issue? My TSH is quite low (usually between a .5 and 1). I am on a low carb diet, and have successfully lost weight after my diagnosis (I weighed 20 lbs less just a few years ago, and have known about the Hasimoto's almost 9 years). SO frustrating!!

minnie-zb
08-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Did she say what, specifically, about it being Hashimoto's was the issue? My TSH is quite low (usually between a .5 and 1). I am on a low carb diet, and have successfully lost weight after my diagnosis (I weighed 20 lbs less just a few years ago, and have known about the Hasimoto's almost 9 years). SO frustrating!!

It's just the fact your thyroid doesn't work and combined with slowing metabolism due to aging, it is a recipe for disaster. I'd talk to your doctor about it -- maybe your doctor will feel differently. But, I think a lot of your issue is tied to the Hashimoto's.

Someone suggested earlier in the thread doing Body Pump. I did this and loved it. It is great for toning and overall fitness, but it had zero impact on my weight and I was running at the same time too. I can certify my metabolism moves at a snails pace.

SnuggleBuggles
08-13-2014, 08:55 AM
It's just the fact your thyroid doesn't work and combined with slowing metabolism due to aging, it is a recipe for disaster. I'd talk to your doctor about it -- maybe your doctor will feel differently. But, I think a lot of your issue is tied to the Hashimoto's.

Someone suggested earlier in the thread doing Body Pump. I did this and loved it. It is great for toning and overall fitness, but it had zero impact on my weight and I was running at the same time too. I can certify my metabolism moves at a snails pace.

I was the Body Pump rec (and I have stupid Hadhimotos too...don't think I had it back in my BP days though). Anyway, I didn't really lose weight but I looked different and felt awesome! I might have lost 3-5lbs but the toning was just great. I went 2-3 times/ week and ran and did more weights the rest of the time.

minnie-zb
08-13-2014, 10:14 AM
I was the Body Pump rec (and I have stupid Hadhimotos too...don't think I had it back in my BP days though). Anyway, I didn't really lose weight but I looked different and felt awesome! I might have lost 3-5lbs but the toning was just great. I went 2-3 times/ week and ran and did more weights the rest of the time.

I agree with you on the Body Pump -- I've never been in better shape then when I was doing the class. I'd like to take a class again, but I'm having a hard time making the schedule work right now. It's great for toning!

niccig
08-14-2014, 02:28 AM
It could still be your thyroid. I know, not great news. I lost 26 lbs weight doing a diet with meal replacements, kept it off for 6 months with normal eating then 8 lbs came back on. I've been doing the 5:2 fast and have lost about 3-4 lbs. There was some vacation eating going on in there too. It's actually been easier than I thought it would be. DH has lost weight doing it too. He spreads his calories on a fast day out with yogurt in morning, protein bar at lunch then rest of calories at dinner. I find it easier to go all day until dinner with just drinking water and tea.

JElaineB
08-14-2014, 08:42 AM
I agree it could still be your thyroid. DH has Hashi's and loses well on low carb sometimes and struggles other times. He is on Amour but it still isn't perfectly controlled. I don't know how many fruits you are eating but you may want to cut down -essentially fruit is sugar. Also if you are getting too much protein that can be converted to sugar by your body. You might want to look into "nutritional ketosis" which is low carb, high fat, moderate protein. You may already be doing something very close to this but too high protein or carbs can sabotage your efforts. I recommend "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek and http://www.dietdoctor.com look for "LCHF for beginners" or something like that).