PDA

View Full Version : FT working, single parents -- when do you clean?

PMJ
08-02-2014, 09:45 PM
I have tried making the "daily" list where I spend 10-15 minutes cleaning something different each day, frankly that does not work for me. I always find an excuse and something else (more important, at least I think is) that needs to be done first.

Hiring someone is not an option.

DH is not an option - he takes forever to get it done bc of his work schedule, and when I ask him too (he says I am nagging him) - so I'd rather just do it myself.

What do you do??? I'm so frustrated.

ArizonaGirl
08-02-2014, 10:25 PM
Well, I'll be honest and say that sometimes it doesn't. :bag

Most of the time we do it on the weekend either Saturday or Sunday morning and everyone pitches in. DS (5.5 yo) dusts, DD (almost 2 yo) tries to help, I clean bathrooms, DH vacuums, and then either DH or I mop, and I clean the kitchen. Sometimes DH will just take the kids on an outing (to the park, for ice cream, for a donut, etc.) and I just do it myself.

One of the perks of living in a small house is that if we all work together it can be done in 1 to 1.5 hours.

It is hands down my absolute least favorite thing about being a "grown up."

onyx8
08-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Not single, but DH and I both WOTH full time. We just couldn't keep up with the cleaning, ended up hiring someone. I know that's not what you want to hear since you aren't going to hire someone, but just know you aren't the only one who just can't do it all!

hellokitty
08-03-2014, 10:31 AM
Not single, but we tag team on Sundays to try to clean as much as possible. Dh has more flex than I do for work hrs, so sometimes he will try to do floors or something on a random day.

ZeeBaby
08-03-2014, 10:45 AM
DH and I both WOTH full time and we hire someone one time a month to do heavy cleaning and we try to keep up with the cleaning in the between weeks. Kitchen has to get cleaned everyday. I try to do this while I am getting the kids dinner or while they are eating. I usually start as soon as I get home. I try to at least load the dishwasher in the am while they eat breakfast, but with all the am rushing that doesn't always work. I try to get DH to mop after the kids go to bed or do it myself. The bathrooms are strictly as needed and the kids bathroom gets more attention then ours. I try to make a conscious effort to keep our bathroom as neat as possible so we don't really have that much cleaning between when the cleaning service comes. It is honestly one of my least favorite tasks and very difficult to keep up with when you come home from work and are tired. I am actually looking forward to the kids going back to school since it seems like their are less messes during the school weeks.

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm SAHm but in some ways, I feel like that can be a challenge as well. For one thing, they are constantly undoing my work. Cleaning the kitchen? They are un-cleaning the family room at the same time. And, I hate spending time cleaning when we should be doing something more fun.

This summer, I have used a babysitter to take them out for a while so they could be doing something fun while I got chores done. That was pretty good.

I have had them helping with things more. I have revised my laundry system so they are more involved also. They are required to take 10-15 minutes/ day to do something "to make the house a better, cleaner, nicer home". They happily surprise me every time with what they do. They always pick good chores that do improve things. I set the timer so it's more manageable.

It's so much easier to stay on top of things than to dig out from a hole. I struggle with it. But, when I'm good, it's wonderful.

I've gotten lazy and less eco-friendly with my bathroom cleaning. I keep cleaning wipes in there and just take a minute to wipe things down every day.

AnnieW625
08-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Not single, but DH and I both WOTH full time. We just couldn't keep up with the cleaning, ended up hiring someone. I know that's not what you want to hear since you aren't going to hire someone, but just know you aren't the only one who just can't do it all!

:yeahthat: I remember feeling like such a failure when I originally hired someone when Dd1 was was 9 months old, but it has been a god send. We did not have a cleaner from May, 2010 when Dd2 was an infant until late 2011 or 2012 due to finances, and have cut back to 1 x a month when needed, but our house cleaner that comes 2x a month is worth it to us.

DH still does the yard work on weekends.

I do the laundry in the evenings a few nights a week, and I cook 4 to 5 nights a week (leftovers never seem to last long enough) and DH does the dishes nightly as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

almostmom
08-04-2014, 03:46 PM
Another family that has a cleaning service. It is $85, and they come twice a month. I do sweep and vacuum some between their visits, but the floor mopping and bathrooms are theirs. I just don't think it would get done otherwise. Dishes do often stay in the sink for day, the kitchen table is not always wiped down, and the laundry piles can, well, pile up. This summer has been the most crazy ever, as we are at baseball games/practice almost every night after work/camp so nothing is getting done.
But hiring someone may be cheaper than you think. And if it gives you some additional precious weekend or evening moments, it might be worth figuring out, even if it's once a month. It also makes me organize the house more regularly to be ready for them, which is hugely helpful. But of course I don't know your financial situation.

Minnifer
08-04-2014, 06:03 PM
This thread kinda makes me chuckle - I'm single, out of the house for work from 7:15am -7:00pm. and there is no way on earth I could NOT have a cleaning lady. She comes every two weeks (it would be much better if it was every week but I can't spend the money). During the week the kids' nanny is supposed to keep things tidy, clean up after meals etc...as am I on the weekends, and even that feels next to impossible - I.have.no.time...ever! :-(

sunnyside
08-05-2014, 01:37 PM
I have a housekeeper every other week. I have to have it, because I can't keep up otherwise.