PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the shower

PunkyBoo
08-04-2014, 06:31 PM
This is really embarrassing to admit but I don't know how to clean my shower. It's a big stall shower with all tiles. When I try to use spray cleaner strong enough to get rid of soap scum and mildew the fumes really irritate my lungs (I have obstructed airway disease or "asthma lite"). I have a long - handled scrubby sponge and I really struggle to get enough leverage to actually scrub away the soap scum. If I stand IN the shower, whatever cleaner I use splatters into my eyes/face and on my clothes. If I stand outside the stall I can't reach. I'm a bit afraid of scrubbing with harsh cleaners when I'm actually showering for fear of splatters getting on my skin (plus the lung irritation. ..) Any advice? Products to recommend? Please HELP!

erosenst
08-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Too late for me to Google proportions... But look up the ratio of hot vinegar to Dawn and use that in a sprayer bottle. Wipe off with a Terry or microfiber towel. No fumes, and the scum comes right off. (If it's bad, may take a couple rounds the first time.)

Also... Not sure what soap you're using.... But liquid usually creates much less scum than bar.

Good luck!

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos.

123LuckyMom
08-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Vinegar is your friend!!! The worst that will happen if you get it on you is that you will smell like a pickle for a few minutes. It kills mold and mildew just like bleach, and it bleaches, too. Just don't mix it with bleach, because that creates a dangerous gas! I just use a mix of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. It cleans everything. I'd get in the shower with a sponge, a Dobie pad (which will not scratch your tile) and one of those green scouring pads for the grout (which may scratch your tile). Use a little elbow grease, and your shower will be clean!

niccig
08-05-2014, 04:54 AM
Too late for me to Google proportions... But look up the ratio of hot vinegar to Dawn and use that in a sprayer bottle. Wipe off with a Terry or microfiber towel. No fumes, and the scum comes right off. (If it's bad, may take a couple rounds the first time.)

Also... Not sure what soap you're using.... But liquid usually creates much less scum than bar.

Good luck!

I use this and it has a strong vinegar odor - maybe I spray too much on the shower walls. I usually hold a handtowel to my mouth/nose.

niccig
08-05-2014, 04:55 AM

Good luck!

I use this and it has a strong vinegar odor - maybe I spray too much on the shower walls. I usually hold a handtowel to my mouth/nose. It works though.

erosenst
08-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Yeah, you really don't need a lot. I spray pretty liberally at the top, let it run down, and give it a quick wipe to distribute. I come back 5? minutes later to wipe down/hose off. The smell isn't an issue at all for me.

123LuckyMom
08-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Vinegar smells bad until it evaporates, but that happens quickly. I've never found the smell to be overpowering, though. It's a natural deodorizer, so when it evaporates, there's no scent left behind. I don't know about the Dawn, though. I've never used that.

sariana
08-05-2014, 09:55 AM
I've tried vinegar, but it doesn't seem to do much for mineral deposits, which is the biggest issue here. Our water is so hard! It leaves behind terrible deposits that are nearly impossible to clean without damaging the surface (any surface).

I have tried almost everything. Like-Away works best, but talk about fumes! And it is bad for the grout. And the seal around the door.

I need that "miracle" product that will cut through the minerals without cutting through the surface. And that isn't banned in California.

(Sorry to hijack, OP, but I totally feel your pain. I hate cleaning the shower!)