PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of these formula ingredients

flashy09
08-06-2014, 11:13 AM
This is an organic mainstream UK formula called HIPP. I could get probably two months worth of this free ….however, I am kind of concerned about the straight skim milk? This seems to be very common in all English formulas. DD1 had a milk protein allergy until 15 months and so far I haven't given DD2 any formula except for a few bottles of Alimentum. I need/want to supplement a bit at this stage and my Ped said any regular formula should be fine as she is 6 months and has no problems with my breast milk and I am a dairy eater. But pure milk as the second ingredient? Too risky?

Organic whey (partially demineralised), organic skimmed milk, organic vegetable oils (rapeseed oil, coco- nut oil, palm oil, sunflower oil), organic whey powder (partially demineralised), organic lactose, prebiotic fibres (galacto-oligosaccharides from lactose), emulsifier (soya lecithin), LCP oils (vegetable), sodium citrate, potassium citrate, calcium citrate, vitamin mix *vitamin C, vitamin A, thiamin (vitamin B1), ribo- flavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B6, pantothenic acid, folic acid, niacin, vitamin B12, vitamin D, vitamin E, biotin, vitamin K+, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, calcium phosphate, potassium phosphate, sodium hydrogen carbonate, calcium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, potassium chloride, potassium hydrogen carbonate, copper sulphate, potassium iodide, manganese sulphate, zinc sulphate, iron sul- phate, sodium selenite.

trales
08-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Can you try a ready feed bottle or 2 to see how she does before you get a ton. I don't know much about formula, but I would tend to stick to the more well known "main stream' ones as you are doing.

Katigre
08-07-2014, 05:37 PM
I have problems with the oils used in there as well. Do you have other options with better ingredients?

YouAreTheFocus
08-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Well the organic lactose is a positive. The US organic formula manufacturers have all moved away from using lactose as the sugar, I assume it is more expensive. I think I posted in your other thread about how most of them are using reg sugar or corn syrup now.

flashy09
08-07-2014, 09:55 PM
I have problems with the oils used in there as well. Do you have other options with better ingredients?

I just don't know what better ingredients are! How does the Alimentum RTF rate? I can get any other English formula, although not free or as convenient. I had a quick look and those oils seem pretty prevalent - what is wrong with them?

Would you say Alimentum or Gerber Good Start Gentle is better or worse?

I probably seem like a nutcase. I really am not, I just like researching and comparing things and find this interesting!

flashy09
08-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Well the organic lactose is a positive. The US organic formula manufacturers have all moved away from using lactose as the sugar, I assume it is more expensive. I think I posted in your other thread about how most of them are using reg sugar or corn syrup now.

I really don't like the corn syrup….but have been reading that it is different than high fructose corn syrup? This is all so confusing, and I am probably putting way too much thought into it since she is only drinking a bottle every other day or so!

I actually just looked at regular Similac Advance and that doesn't seem to have any corn syrup or maltrodextrin and the first ingredient is non fat milk as well! I guess I had never seen straight milk before since I was always looking at the specialty ones. I think I will just try the baby on regular formula - seems to be much better ingredients than all the sensitive or partial/fully hydrolyzed ones. Would love to do organic, but Earths Best has glucose syrup solids and Similac doesn't - what's more important, organic or no glucose/corn syrup?

marymoo86
08-11-2014, 05:24 PM
No experience but remember seeing this before so maybe it will help?http://foodbabe.com/2013/05/28/how-to-find-the-safest-organic-infant-formula/

flashy09
08-15-2014, 07:28 AM
No experience but remember seeing this before so maybe it will help?http://foodbabe.com/2013/05/28/how-to-find-the-safest-organic-infant-formula/

Thank you! It's so frustrating - the organics seem to use more corn syrup, maltodextrin, etc than plain Similac Advanced. Not sure which is worse, non organic or all the sweeteners?