PDA

View Full Version : If your DD has an American Girl collection

randomkid
08-06-2014, 11:58 PM
How do you store/contain everything? Right now, DD has 4 dolls and some accessories as well as some bigger, but not huge play items - gymnastics beam and bar, bike, things like that. Much of her collection is from Target or miscellaneous things we collected that are the right size. She has the clothes closet from Target and the trundle bed also from Target. Currently, the bed is on the floor in her room and this is where we keep the dolls. Other stuff is in various storage locations in her room. Well, DSDs are both moved out and their room is about to become a playroom - yay! I finally have a place to put DD's stuff! So, I am looking for a way to set up her AG dolls, closet, accessories, etc in one area in the room that looks nice, doesn't take up too much space, but also displays as well as organizes everything. Is that asking too much? Share your ideas, please. Pictures are a bonus!

azzeps
08-07-2014, 02:20 AM
So, all our AG stuff lives in a large handled tub from The Container Store.... but sounds like you have the space for something like this? http://www.themoreonesows.com/2013/11/black-friday-goodness.html

That link shows a doll house made from shelves hanging on the wall, I think, but if you check Pinterest, you will see all kinds of dollhouses from ready made bookcases. I also looked on youtube and there were lots of AG house tours! Have fun coming up with something cool!

citymama
08-07-2014, 05:29 AM
We have 3 AG dolls and 2 bitty baby/twins. We don't have as much stuff as you do - two beds that the dolls hang out on and other than that, mostly clothing/accessories, which are stored in an under-bed clear storage container.

randomkid
08-07-2014, 07:27 AM
So, all our AG stuff lives in a large handled tub from The Container Store.... but sounds like you have the space for something like this? http://www.themoreonesows.com/2013/11/black-friday-goodness.html

That link shows a doll house made from shelves hanging on the wall, I think, but if you check Pinterest, you will see all kinds of dollhouses from ready made bookcases. I also looked on youtube and there were lots of AG house tours! Have fun coming up with something cool!

While that is amazing, I don't want or need something that large. I am willing to have it take up about a third of a wall, but not the entire wall. I really don't want to make her dolls the focus of the entire room. I figure in a couple of years, she will be less interested in the dolls. Honestly, now, she plays with DSDs old beanie kids dolls as much as the AG dolls. And, I don't want to encourage buying anything more from AG. If we have a doll house, then we will have to furnish a bathroom and a kitchen, etc. Not going there! Thanks for the suggestion, but just don't want something that involved or that large.

KrisM
08-07-2014, 09:16 AM
We had an old entertainment center that now holds doll stuff. There are a couple drawers inside for clothes. There is a larger area behind solid doors that hold bigger things like helmets, wheel chair, etc. Then there are 3 spots large enough for the table/chairs, bath tub, baking center. On the side, we have a jewelry organizer hanging for shoes, glasses, etc. Other accessories sit on top of the entertainment center, or next to it. Not perfect, but going vertical was key.

daisysmom
08-07-2014, 09:59 AM
We have way too much AG stuff. We had a carpenter/handyman make a little wardrobe closet and that is where the clothes/shoes/hats all live. We have 2 beds, Saige's balloon, and some other bigger items and those just are lined up in either her bedroom or the hall outside of it.

azzeps
08-07-2014, 10:53 AM
I bet you could scale down those bookcase/shelf/armoire ideas to suit your space. Just don't show your daughter the pictures on Pinterest, and then she won't know that she "needs" to have a bathroom, etc. in her "house"!! Ha ha!!! Now I want one for our AG stuff!

Twoboos
08-07-2014, 11:48 AM
It takes up a major portion of the basement. We have two heavy cardboard wardrobes (each) and countless bins of various sizes. It is not contained, although somehow DDs know where everything is.

Sorry, but this is reality here! ;)

missliss55
08-07-2014, 12:08 PM
My older girls share a room and they have more AG stuff that you can imagine. Between them they have 10 dolls...I know crazy right. We store all their doll clothes in something like this that hangs over their door:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can-Do-24-Pocket-Organizer/17646701

They put an outfit with all the shoes and accessories in each pocket. Some pockets may have more than 1 outfit. Keeps it all nice and contained and organized.

They have built in shelves in their closet and they sit their dolls on one along with things like the food cart and other bigger stuff. They do have a bunk bed that does sit out in the room in the corner.

Good luck!