PDA

View Full Version : Update- How would you accessorize this dress?

acmom
08-08-2014, 08:29 PM
This (http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/open-neck-sequin-dress?site_refer=CSE_GGLPLA&site_refer=sem+g&keyword_refer=&gclid=Cj0KEQjw6pGfBRD09M-TmYTBzqIBEiQAcRzH50WBAVh6WaJAyDSqp2QeR7AdsW0Decf5J q7hs-S46goaAm9l8P8HAQ) is one of the dresses I am considering for DH's work gala in Sept. (Its a black tie event, but we go every year and its usually about 50/50 cocktail dresses and gowns). DH's likes this dress the best of the ones I am considering, but I am kind of stumped on how to accessorize it - both jewelry and shoe wise bc of the neckline and the black sequins. Ideas? Thanks!

Update in Post 13 - had to switch dresses and need help with new one! Thanks!

elbenn
08-08-2014, 10:11 PM
Do you have a link for the dress?

acmom
08-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Do you have a link for the dress?

I tried to link it- I think the link works if you click on the word "this". The link text was so long I didn't want to put it all in there!

ourbabygirl
08-08-2014, 10:29 PM
That's very pretty! :) I guess I would skip the necklace so it wouldn't compete with the neckline, but do some pretty dangly earrings. It might depend on how you wear your hair, too. And probably a pretty bracelet, but I'm not sure what... hopefully Snugglebuggles will check in; she's good with this sort of thing!

MamaMolly
08-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Just as a heads up I find sequined dresses scratch the heck out of the insides of my arms. I would consider a different fabric, maybe?

elbenn
08-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Pretty dress! I would do bracelets and earrings--maybe a pretty hair clip. I would skip a necklace with that dress.

acmom
08-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Just as a heads up I find sequined dresses scratch the heck out of the insides of my arms. I would consider a different fabric, maybe?

I have this issue too but this one doesn't bother me bc the sequins are covered with black mesh. But thank you for thinking of that!

acmom
08-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone! I was thinking no necklace too. Would you do gold or silver (or would either work) for bracelet/earrings?

ourbabygirl
08-09-2014, 12:49 PM
I would probably do silver, but really either would probably work. You could also *maybe* do cubic zirconia kind of dangly earrings/ bracelet, or *maybe* a classy black rhinestone set of earrings and necklace... not sure they would show up as well, though.

erosenst
08-09-2014, 09:18 PM
If you look closely, she has on a sparkly (diamond/cz/) cuff that I think looks perfect with this. If you don't have something similar there are some nice/reasonablely priced 'sparkly cuffs' out now. Definitely agree with the 'no necklace'.

Have fun!

acmom
08-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I found jewelry that works based on all your suggestions. But I am still struggling a little with shoes...I will probably do something either peep toe or strappy, but I don't know if I would be better with straight black, black with a little sparkle or silver. Any shoe suggestions?

Mopey
08-19-2014, 03:07 PM
black satin peep toes and big diamond studs (or more interesting but still stud-ish, aka. small and not too dangly). Didn't read the other replies :) Yay for dress up!

acmom
09-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Update: Well I had to go back to the drawing board for a dress bc my husband's partner was planning to wear the same one!

Now I think I may wear this dress...

http://www.bluefly.com/BCBGMAXAZRIA-black-sateen-Palais-one-shoulder-dress/p/332380301/detail.fly

Any advice with accessories/shoes for this one?? I'm thinking sparkly big earrings and sparkly black bracelet that I have? It is a black tie event (but the majority of people wear cocktail dresses) so I need to dress it up rather than dress it down! Thanks!