PDA

View Full Version : MFP and home cooking

Sweetum
08-10-2014, 01:38 AM
For those of you who cook at home, how do you use MFP? I tried to for sometime but it was getting really weird and cumbersome. Maybe I am doing it wrong, would love to hear from everyone here.

pastrygirl
08-10-2014, 07:34 AM
I gave up the first few times I tried it, but then finally committed last year, in January. It was a PITA at first, but I entered all my recipes if they weren't already there. I mostly cook from Cooks Illustrated or Allrecipes, so many of them were already there.

It didn't "work" until I was 100% committed. I never thought I'd get to that point, but I did!

specialp
08-10-2014, 07:42 AM
You can copy and paste a recipe into Calorie Count (http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/account/flog_add.php?tab=new_recipe) to get the info calculated for you. CC is similar to MFP.

mikala
08-10-2014, 09:18 AM
I mostly cook from blog and allrecipes.com or cooking light so I've been adding the recipes to MFP as I go. It's pretty quick if I use the full MFP website instead of the app. The part that takes the longest is modifying the recipes to match what I actually do when I cook and adjusting the number of servings.

Sweetum
08-11-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm a very intuitive cook, no recipes really and I cook whatever I have, not keeping servings in mind. So, basically I just cook all of the things I buy and we eat them for how many ever days it lasts. maybe I should be more mindful of how many servings I am getting out of it, and also use measuring cups and spoons to figure out how much I am using versus throwing a little of this and a little of that.

I'll try calorie counter, and hopefully can can create a list of the regular "recipes".