PDA

View Full Version : Question about jars of baby foods

happymom
08-10-2014, 04:03 PM
DS doesn't finish a whole jar of baby food in one sitting yet. Can I feed him half the jar and put the rest in the frig for a different day? My mom is saying that the saliva on the spoon breeds bacteria in the jar and that I should spoon the food into a separate bowl after opening it, instead of feeding him directly from the jar. DH thinks that's an old wives tale so I decided to post here :). What do you think?

Thanks!

Mamabear4
08-10-2014, 04:05 PM
I always spooned into another bowl to heat and serve on the first time, then used the actual baby food jar for the second serving. I definitely read about the bacteria issue but I can't remember where.

Blue Hydrangea
08-10-2014, 04:33 PM
You can use a clean spoon to transfer half the jar to another bowl to feed from, and then save the half in the jar that hasn't been touched in the fridge, but don't save baby food that you've put a saliva covered spoon into. The saliva will start to break down the remaining food in the jar, leaving it gross and soupy, and bacteria can grow in it.

Cam&Clay
08-10-2014, 05:15 PM
If you feed from the jar and then put it in the fridge, it will be gross. It's no old wives tale--it's science! Saliva breaks the food down, so essentially the baby food has been digested in the jar.

happymom
08-10-2014, 06:44 PM
Well I'm glad I asked. That sounds gross! Thanks everyone :)