PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell if DD needs more milk?

TwoBees
08-12-2014, 09:56 PM
DD2 is 7.5 months. She currently has 3 "meals" of solids, 3 4-oz bottles of bm, and nurses 1-2 times daily (weekdays). She has never had a bottle larger than 4 oz, but eats every 3 hrs or so during the day. Besides asking her daycare teachers if she seems satisfied after each bottle, how do I know if she needs more milk? I never give her a bottle so I can only guess how much milk she gets when she nurses, and DH gives her formula if he does a bottle (which isn't often). Does she need larger bottles?

ArizonaGirl
08-13-2014, 12:23 AM
If they seem satisfied I wouldn't worry about it.

I can tell you that both of my kids only drank about 3 oz or so for each feeding, and ate about every 3 hours.

If we fed them any more than that we would be revisiting the additional amount shortly.

What I was told is that the composition of bm changes as the LO get older and so they may not need more volume.

HTH

azzeps
08-13-2014, 01:47 AM
I would think that if she's seeming satisfied, and she's not getting constipated (too much solids/not enough breastmilk), then you're good! I think the daycare people would also know if she's still hungry after she finishes her bottles, and they'd tell you.

Philly Mom
08-13-2014, 07:01 AM
I would think that if she's seeming satisfied, and she's not getting constipated (too much solids/not enough breastmilk), then you're good! I think the daycare people would also know if she's still hungry after she finishes her bottles, and they'd tell you.

Daycare teachers are not shy about having you over feed babies. If she wasn't getting enough, they would definitely tell you. DD1 only ever had a max of 6 oz in a bottle but when she started solids, it went down to 5 or less. DD2 is 9 months and if she has more than a 4 oz bottle, it is coming up. Heck, after she nurses in the morning, some of it comes back up. My ped suggested I give more fewer times a day, but I know it just wouldn't work for her. FWIW, DD2 is eating three good meals.

llama8
08-13-2014, 07:58 AM
As long as she seems satisfied, diapers seem normal, and she is gaining weight, I wouldn't worry about it. Babies are great about "telling" you if the are hungry.