PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning countertops

TwoBees
08-19-2014, 09:02 AM
What do you use to clean granite kitchen countertops on a daily basis? And what about butcher block counters? We have used Clorox wipes in the past for laminate countertops, but I don't know if those are safe for granite and butcher block.

Also, what about solid-surface bathroom counters? The counters look like Corian but I'm not sure. Not the shiny porcelain-esque counters I am used to.

Twoboos
08-19-2014, 09:07 AM
For the granite I've been using a homemade mixture of 1/4c alcohol, a drop or 2 of dish detergent, a drop or 2 of tea tree oil and water. I used to use vinegar/water but don't want it to wreck the new counters we got last year! :)

There's also a Method granite cleaner that I use sometimes.

gymnbomb
08-19-2014, 10:46 AM
We do not have granite, but my mom uses Clorox wipes on her granite for quick cleanups. I think she has some other granite cleaner for the less frequent bigger cleanups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keh602
08-19-2014, 12:45 PM
We love Method's Daily Granite. That's all we use on our counters. I'm not sure about butcher block counters.

Neatfreak
08-19-2014, 02:18 PM
I don't cut directly on our butcher block counters - I put down a cutting board, which minimizes the clean-up area. I usually just wipe down with a hot and damp soapy cloth, and use a general-purpose cleaner (like Method's kitchen cleaner) or vinegar for spot cleaning. Wipe up all spills immediately, of course!

Mom of XX&XY
08-20-2014, 12:46 PM
I use a daily granite and stainless cleaner made by 409. When I wan to shine them I use granite gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

almostmom
08-20-2014, 03:26 PM
I don't have granite, but my in-laws do. She has thin dish towels that she puts super hot water on and wipes them down that way - no cleaner. They look great. When I clean them sometimes I use a little dish soap first, but then finish with the hot water rinse. I also dry with a dry dish towel so there aren't streaks.

TwoBees
08-20-2014, 07:12 PM
But what do you use to sanitize, such as when you drip raw chicken juice or raw egg on the counter?

almostmom
08-20-2014, 07:31 PM
I just use dish soap and water to sanitize/clean on my own counters, so I imagine that's what I use at their place as well. It never occurred to me to use clorox or really any cleaning agent other than dish soap on a counter in my house! I know MIL doesn't either.

twowhat?
08-24-2014, 10:54 PM
We have granite (the sealed, no-maintenance kind) and I use Chlorox wipes on it followed by a couple of rinse wipes with a microfiber towel. I don't use the Chlorox wipes all that often. Usually only after guests, after really messy cooking events, or after handling any raw meat. Most days I just use plain hot water with a microfiber towel and that's usually sufficient.

essnce629
08-25-2014, 12:02 AM
We have granite counters and have been using a 50/50 vinegar/water mix daily with a microfiber towel for the past 3 years. I've never noticed any issues and it's the only cleaner I use.

AnimalBabe
10-17-2014, 01:34 PM
We have granite counters and have been using a 50/50 vinegar/water mix daily with a microfiber towel for the past 3 years. I've never noticed any issues and it's the only cleaner I use.

We are considering buying granite soon for our kitchen, and I just asked some of the granite suppliers about this. I was told not/not to use vinegar as it's too abrasive and can take off the sealant over time. I was also told not to use windex or anything with harsh chemicals in it; mainly to stick to a bit of dish soap and water. I don't know anything about the Method Granite cleaner, but that sounds like it should be fine.

Just found this article too that seems to confirm what I was told above:
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-clean-and-disinfect-granite-countertops-cleaning-lessons-from-the-kitchn-202159