PDA

View Full Version : making friends is hard to do!

Seitvonzu
08-24-2014, 09:15 PM
i'm not sure this is a "bitch" really, maybe i am just feeling sorry for myself and my kiddo. we moved to a new town in the middle of the summer. we're living with my parents, so we aren't "alone" or "lonely," but we have been seriously lacking friend time (both mommy friends and kiddo friends). the closest DD's been to a playdate since we arrived was going to the pool with my cousin's 3 year old. she really had fun, and loves the kid, but -- not the same as hanging with her bestie she's "known" since they were 5 weeks old....

i realized how starved for friend time i was when my bestie (daughter's bestie's mom) called and started talking about when we could get together/they could come visit. i ended that phone call feeling more optimistic than i had all summer! we're still trying to work something out and i'll be heartbroken if it doesn't happen!

so, to get to my point....my daughter starts school last week and comes home the first day with an invitation to a birthday party. i couldn't believe it! it said you could either drop the kids off or stay! (i thought "i can stay and meet some parents ... .other MOMS!!!!!) it's at a bounce house (my kid will be overjoyed! she loves that!). i know that kids usually start having smaller parties after preschool/kindy, and my kiddo is starting 1st grade. this is clearly a whole class party and a great chance for her!!! i was never happier about a party invite in my life (usually i dread them)

BUT--- it's this coming sunday (the day before labor day). my cousin is getting married this weekend in a town 2.5 hours away, so we are staying until sunday morning. usually when we go to things in this town we combine the trip with a trip to see my paternal grandmother who lives relatively close. my mother thought my dad would be "upset" if i wanted to go and didn't go see my grandmom. my dad "has to" go to his hometown anyway because there is some sort of highschool sports reunion he wants to go to.... my dad can get....shall we say erratic? moody? about things like this.

well, the end of the story is that i just put on some grown up pants and decided that DD and I are coming home earlyish that morning to go to the birthday party. the more i thought about it, the more i couldn't let the opportunity slip by...it just felt a bit like social suicide. hopefully at the least, DD will have fun and we'll have found a neat place to bounce :) maybe i'll even talk to some nice moms!

just another time it's hard to be an adult i guess :)thanks for listening

TwinFoxes
08-24-2014, 09:27 PM
I think you made the right decision. And per your other thread, I think moving sooner rather than later is the right decision too. :)

barkley1
08-24-2014, 10:36 PM
I would have done the same thing! I hope y'all have lots of fun :)

niccig
08-24-2014, 10:50 PM
DS moved schools at beginning of grade 3 and we got an invite for a birthday party in the first week. Do go. My other suggestion is to volunteer as much as you can at the new school, at least as much as you can until either working or studying. DS's school needs parent to volunteer in the library and thru that I met the PTA moms. I'm hooked in now.

anonomom
08-25-2014, 07:50 AM
DS moved schools at beginning of grade 3 and we got an invite for a birthday party in the first week. Do go. My other suggestion is to volunteer as much as you can at the new school, at least as much as you can until either working or studying. DS's school needs parent to volunteer in the library and thru that I met the PTA moms. I'm hooked in now.

This is great advice. I think you're doing the right thing to go to the party, too. I hope you meet lots of nice people!

Mopey
08-25-2014, 01:37 PM
This is great advice. I think you're doing the right thing to go to the party, too. I hope you meet lots of nice people!

:yeahthat:

Good for you! And remember - smile when you meet people - it puts both of you at ease! :D (That was the best tip I got as an anxious kid - even faking a smile turns into a real one and makes me feel better. weird and crazy.)

I hope you and DD both have a blast!!

elephantmeg
08-25-2014, 02:05 PM
I think you've made the right decision! I've made lots of friends at those never ending bounce place birthday parties!

123LuckyMom
08-25-2014, 03:03 PM
You definitely made the right decision, and I second the idea of volunteering at school as much as you can. It's a great way to meet other moms.

Seitvonzu
08-25-2014, 03:16 PM
i actually *have* to volunteer 15 hours at school or at school functions or pay a fee....so no choice there :) i volunteered once a week in my daughter's classroom and helped out with some school functions (would have done more of that if we weren't moving, that's really when i had a chance to meet other school moms, not when i was classroom volunteer). i actually have have a special class to be able to be around the kids....so that reminds me i need to call and get my spot! :)

thanks-- i'll try to remember this is what everyone thought i should do when i'm driving separately to my cousins wedding ;)

tropicalmom
09-01-2014, 11:31 PM
Hope you met some nice parents at the party!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk