PDA

View Full Version : Carpet cleaner?

squimp
08-27-2014, 10:31 PM
We have (ugh) white carpet in the upstairs of our house. It is in need of cleaning and I am considering getting a carpet cleaner. In the past we have paid a professional to clean the carpets but that seems excessive and for some reason this carpet is more prone to getting dingy than any other I have experienced. I am good at spot cleaning but it seems to me that large areas are looking dingy and its time to do something. Anyone have one they love? I'd like to get one that works really well and dries the floor fast. Are there steam cleaners that are affordable? Is it possible to get one where you can use vinegar or a mild soap that doesn't have a horrible chemical smell?

Can you tell I hate carpet? Thankfully the downstairs is a lovely oak that we refinished when we moved in and I love it.

amom526
08-28-2014, 09:04 AM
We have (ugh) white carpet in the upstairs of our house. It is in need of cleaning and I am considering getting a carpet cleaner. In the past we have paid a professional to clean the carpets but that seems excessive and for some reason this carpet is more prone to getting dingy than any other I have experienced. I am good at spot cleaning but it seems to me that large areas are looking dingy and its time to do something. Anyone have one they love? I'd like to get one that works really well and dries the floor fast. Are there steam cleaners that are affordable? Is it possible to get one where you can use vinegar or a mild soap that doesn't have a horrible chemical smell?

Can you tell I hate carpet? Thankfully the downstairs is a lovely oak that we refinished when we moved in and I love it.

We have a bissel upright carpet cleaner. It works, and dries the carpet well, but it does not get out really hard stains which is frustrating. But maybe I just haven't found the right solution. We also have white carpets, but it's in our main living space including dining room! I just tried it with vinegar the other day, and it cleaned just as well as the bissel solution I had been using. The vacuum came with a tiny bottle of some type of solution with febreeze, which actually go out some hard marks but I am not willing to use that on a regular basis.