PDA

View Full Version : Kids' Breakfast Smoothie

Kindra178
08-28-2014, 01:52 PM
Ds1 has decided he's not eating breakfast anymore. With my full time job and three kids, mornings have been insane. I would like to try a breakfast smoothie (I can make while I am preparing lunch). Although there are a zillion recipes out there, I would like to try one that has been successful here. I am envisioning a banana, oatmeal, etc. No nuts. Thanks.

HonoluluMom
08-28-2014, 02:31 PM
DD likes strawberry banana smoothies. Frozen (very ripe) bananas, frozen strawberries, greek yogurt, and milk. I use a hand immersion blender. I've tried throwing in oats, but DD doesn't like the the texture.

babyonway
08-28-2014, 05:37 PM
My DDs favorite is apple pie smoothie (that I add spinach or kale to). To save time, I put the ingredients in the night before stick the blender in the fridge and the blend in the morning.

½ to 1 cup ice
1 medium apple, cubed
1 scoop protein powder
2 teaspoons honey (adjust to taste)
Heaping ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 ounces milk (I use rice milk)
Handful of spinach or kale

Tondi G
08-28-2014, 07:24 PM
My boys like to keep it fairly simple

a good handful of Frozen strawberries
a banana (frozen or not)
a cup or so of yogurt (the current yogurt they like is the Organic lowfat Vanana flavor from Trader Joes)
enough milk to thin it a bit
4 or so ice cubes to make it frosty

I haven't had baby spinach lately but I can easily pop a handful into the vitamix with the stuff above and the boys like it just fine. If you use greek yogurt you will up the protein.

wendibird22
08-28-2014, 09:11 PM
I do Greek yogurt, splash of juice (Apple, orange, whatever's on hand), frozen mixed berries. Sometimes I add a bit of avocado, sometimes a scoop of peanut butter (for those that can do nuts), sometimes flax seed. I've also done frozen peaches and strawberry banana.

mikala
08-28-2014, 09:28 PM
I usually start with a base of milk, greek yogurt, banana.

My kids really like a green smoothie with the above and grapes, pineapple, lots of spinach, flaxseed, sometimes fresh mint.

They also like the above with a scoop of nut butter and a bit of cocoa powder, sometimes flax.

I tried this recipe a few days ago and it was a hit. I added yogurt for fat/protein. http://www.melskitchencafe.com/my-favorite-healthy-breakfast-smoothie-a-k-a-super-food-smoothie/