PDA

View Full Version : "smart" casual help

echoesofspring
09-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Can you help me put together some "smart" casual outfits? Without going into the details my closet is just a shambles between working from home and being pregnant or nursing for the last 4 years. I've been reading youlookfab all weekend and tried to put together one capsule - and I just don't have anything. I'm in the tech field in a very casual university town so traditional business casual would probably across as too dressy, if that makes sense. People in the tech field profess to not care what you wear, but I'm networking/job hunting so I want to look pulled together. Also doing a lot of traveling in the coming weeks so double duty on that front would be great as well. I feel like everything I have is just too casual, sloppy.

I think I need a pair of dressy jeans, and then from there, what other types of bottoms? I have a couple tops and ordered a couple more from LE yesterday.

I have a matte jersey pencil almost midi skirt that I love but I don't have any warm weather tops that work with it, and it'll be warm weather for a while yet.

Shoes? I have lots of sandals that I'm embarrassed to wear, my toes are trashed from the summer right now. I think I need some flat or low heeled closed toe shoes.

I have to confess the fluid style top combine with snug bottom look right now kind of throws me as I'm short, curvy and busty right now from BF-ing and it's the opposite of how I think I think my body looks best.

I did buy these pants, which I think I will wear tonight...

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nydj-hayden-stretch-denim-crop-jeans-dark-enzyme-petite/3649231?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=&resultback=152&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_1_A

Thanks in advance!

lizzywednesday
09-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Sounds like you need tops with a lot of structure to them - I tend to need the same! I look for darts & princess seams, though I'm tall (a hair under 5'8") ... unstructured tops tend to make me look frumpy. Seaming and darting in the right places can create an hourglass figure and lengthen your torso.

As for jeans, look for a dark, uniform wash. Dark wash is the best & forgives a multitude of sins.

Do you have any foot issues - wide, flat, need support, need cushioning - that would preclude you from trying something like this:

http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/candra_glow/26101654

(OK, so it's probably dressier than your industry typically goes, but I think something like it will help pull an outfit together!)

Also, have you weaned your youngest yet? If so, have you been fitted for new bras lately? I find that's my biggest help to shopping for new clothing - a well-fitted bra can mean the difference between looking great and looking like cr@p on a stick.

NJ_Mom2011
09-03-2014, 06:33 AM
Any wrap dress such as the Banana Republic Gemma dress is great for nursing mothers or any woman with curves.

hillview
09-03-2014, 09:08 AM
Agree with NJ mom. Wrap dresses are great. I also like black pants which you can do a ton with (nice tops, blazer, cardigan, scarves etc)

123LuckyMom
09-03-2014, 09:29 AM
I'd stick with neutral trousers and blouses/sweaters that are dressier than t-shirts. A nice top can be dressed down with a pair of dark wash jeans. A good pair of shoes really helps to elevate an outfit and make you look pulled together. For interviews, wrap dresses would be perfect!!!

echoesofspring
09-03-2014, 12:19 PM
A wrap dress is a great idea, I generally rock those, and could probably even wear them to casual events without feeling overdressed. I haven't even thought of interview clothes, yet, sigh. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that too much. Just networking events, i.e. last nights was pizza and a technical talk.

Also, have you weaned your youngest yet? If so, have you been fitted for new bras lately? I find that's my biggest help to shopping for new clothing - a well-fitted bra can mean the difference between looking great and looking like cr@p on a stick.
Great suggestions lizzywednesday. Unfortunately she shows no sign of weaning, although I stopped pumping at the end of last year and she's only with me a couple days a week during the work week so it's just for naps, bedtime, etc. but I'm still bigger that usual, and I was a D cup before getting pregnant with DS. I think that's part of my problem, it's really hard to find tops.

I so appreciate the suggestions. I thought I was ok for last nights event and then when I started to put together an outfit it took 20 minutes, and none of the tops I thought would work did. But I did get a 'if you're looking for work, come talk to us' overture so all was not lost....but I'm going to have to pull something together if I'm going to go visit their office, my capris won't cut it, right ;)

legaleagle
09-03-2014, 12:53 PM
I would get at least 2 regular bras in your current size for work/nicer occasions when you won't actually need to nurse in that outfit. It will make such a huge difference esp since you're above a D cup it will be well worth the money.

lizzywednesday
09-03-2014, 01:37 PM
... Unfortunately she shows no sign of weaning, although I stopped pumping at the end of last year and she's only with me a couple days a week during the work week so it's just for naps, bedtime, etc. but I'm still bigger that usual, and I was a D cup before getting pregnant with DS. I think that's part of my problem, it's really hard to find tops. ...

I hear you! Mine nursed 'til almost 3 (well, nights & naps until 2, then nights only after 2) and I'd stopped pumping before she was a year old because my schedule changed.

I had decent luck with bras from the Hanes Outlet (wear a DD currently) because my old DDD/E bras were NOT working and I tossed my nursing bras (necessary, actually, they were gross.) Bali is a Hanes brand, so sometimes you can get them on a discount from them at Essential Apparel, which is their online outlet.

lovin2shop
09-03-2014, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=echoesofspring;4027549]
I have to confess the fluid style top combine with snug bottom look right now kind of throws me as I'm short, curvy and busty right now from BF-ing and it's the opposite of how I think I think my body looks best.

I don't think you should rule this style out completely. I'm shaped the same (love wrap dresses too!), and this can really work for me as long as the shirt is not too voluminous. Also, length is a big issue, I look for blouses that hit above the widest part of my thigh or that have a band around the hips. A slightly shorter top like this will lengthen the leg line. For most tunic type tops, I will shop in petite sizes. Also, I definitely prefer this look with a full length or at least ankle pant, again to lengthen the leg line. There is so much of this look out there right now, I think it would really expand your options if you could find the right proportions.

echoesofspring
09-04-2014, 12:39 PM
lovin2shop - do you have any fav places to shop? It's the volume that's getting to me I think, b/c I do think a looser fit could be flattering, especially with the post baby belly I've got. But it's hard to find the right proportion and not be overwhelmed. I do generally shop in the petite section, although with the bf-ing bust I'm finding sometimes regular tops are better for me.

Orders from LE & Nordstrom are on their way - wish me luck!