PDA

View Full Version : Organized filing cabinet

niccig
09-08-2014, 04:34 AM
Finally, the filing cabinet is finished. I had 3 years of paperwork piled up as no room in the filing cabinet, as it had not been purged in years. I now have 3 bankers boxes full of paper to take for shredding. We were keeping way more than was needed.

I bought the Freedom Filer system http://www.freedomfiler.com/Home.cfm It's $40 and you get preprinted color coded labels, a book explaining the system and extra labels to customize as needed. I decided on this system as it's supposed to be self-purging, that is, as you put something into the file, you discard what was there if it's not needed to be kept, rather than constantly adding new paperwork and never purging out-dated documents as who has the time to purge the filing cabinet! We'll see how it works in practice.

It's set up so there's monthly files for bills and for active tax documents for 2 years, so on Jan 1,you can put the new year's empty files in place and remove the old year until ready to do taxes, then discard what don't need to keep. I thought this was pretty ingenious as we never do taxes first of the year and end up having a mingling of files for a couple of months and then have to sort through it all to find what we need. Last couple of years, I haven't gotten around to this, hence the paperwork mess.

There's a section for documents you replace eg. when get new health insurance policy, remove old one and put in archive if going to keep or discard if don't need to keep anymore.

There's a section for permanent files - things you will always keep eg. health records, house property title, birth certificates etc. Much of what would be here, I've put in the fire safe, they one I bought 5 years ago and never set-up as couldn't find what needed in the filing cabinet. Thankfully, no fire!

There's an archive of 10 years for tax returns, receipts needed for taxes and they suggest to put in home insurance policy, and anything else may want to keep, eg legal paperwork. Purge this to only keep 10 years. You could keep less.

The labels are set-up so they don't need updating eg. the 10 year archive labels are 01, 02, 03 for the year in the decade. 01 currently has 2011 taxes, and then it'll have 2021, 2031. I won't have to relabel it. There's ways to customize the labels, eg. for "vehicles - service", I added a /h/ sticker for my car (Honda) and a /p/ sticker for DH's car (Prius). When we get a new car, I'll just replace the letter sticker, but the rest of the label will stay the same.

It took me some time to set all this up, if you're files are in better shape, it should go more quickly. I could probably have set something like this up on my own, but it was pretty simple to check their book for where to put something and use their label. And the color-coding really helps when looking for a file. Everything now fits in the filing cabinet (no more boxes of paperwork sitting around) and there's plenty of room to grow as needed. You can search on youtube and people have reviewed the system in a video.

hillview
09-08-2014, 08:46 AM
wow this is awesome thanks for posting.

jgenie
09-08-2014, 11:03 AM
That's amazing!! That's at the top of my list when DS2 starts back to school later this week.

Niccig - I have the same system but couldn't figure out where to file health EOBs. I usually hang on to these for a couple of years in case something pops up later. Do you receive EOBs and do you keep them? If so, where do you file them?

niccig
09-08-2014, 01:53 PM
That's amazing!! That's at the top of my list when DS2 starts back to school later this week.

Niccig - I have the same system but couldn't figure out where to file health EOBs. I usually hang on to these for a couple of years in case something pops up later. Do you receive EOBs and do you keep them? If so, where do you file them?

There were a few things I had difficulty working out. So far, I'm putting all the EOBs and medical bills in the current year folder for tax deductions, medical. We rarely go to to Dr. so pretty sure we won't be claiming any deduction, but we've never added it all up to see if we do. I think I'll create 3 folders in the archive drawer for medical bills, and put them there then toss after a couple of years. I was reading elsewhere about keeping them for 2-3 years. After my surgery I was still getting bills etc over a year later, so understand that time period. Maybe for routine care, which is what we mostly do, it's not needed to keep after a year.

You could even divide up per person, but honestly I think as we rarely ever look back at these, I'd just put all of one year in a hanging folder and I can sort through if ever need to look at something. I've figured out that my librarian tendency to categorize everything takes too much time, sometimes you can just put it all together then look through it IF you need to.

hillview
09-08-2014, 03:17 PM
what are EOBs?

niccig
09-08-2014, 09:16 PM
what are EOBs?

Explanation of benefits from the insurance company.

I am keeping one set of bills +EOBs longer. I had a test done at new dr. and the insurance company refused to pay outrageous price. There was some communication from insurance company to me saying do not pay this if they come after you for the balance. I spoke with the billing office and they said they would accept the insurance amount and not bill me. I've kept it all as a just in case it comes back later on.

hillview
09-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Niccig
Just wanted to say THANK YOU. I ordered my freedom filer and spent about 2 hours today dealing with paperwork. It took a little while to sort out how best to use it (like 15 mins of reading and thinking) and now 90% of my filing is DONE. I still have to go and consolidate my OLD files but all the bins of paperwork that needed to get filed are DONE. Thanks for suggesting this!

jgenie
09-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Niccig
Just wanted to say THANK YOU. I ordered my freedom filer and spent about 2 hours today dealing with paperwork. It took a little while to sort out how best to use it (like 15 mins of reading and thinking) and now 90% of my filing is DONE. I still have to go and consolidate my OLD files but all the bins of paperwork that needed to get filed are DONE. Thanks for suggesting this!

Nicci and Hillview,
What are you doing with investment statements? Are you filing them by month and then planning to purge in a year? What about bank statements? TIA

hillview
09-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Nicci and Hillview,
What are you doing with investment statements? Are you filing them by month and then planning to purge in a year? What about bank statements? TIA
investment statements I get quarterly and I have a folder for them "Account, Investor" with "K" sticker on the folder for the Kids (their 504 comes in a single statement although it is 2 accounts). same for me and DH. For banking, it is all electronic and e-statements which I don't print but I'd do the same. I plan to toss the ones I no longer need (so for investment I only keep the most recent, for banking accounts I'd keep a year's worth).

niccig
10-01-2014, 11:51 PM
I made a file for IRA/401K/investment statements that goes after the months in the freedom filer system, so it has a green label. I'm currently putting all the account statements as we get them in here, then at end of the year, I'll sort through and discard the quarterly statements and keep the yearly ones. Ideally, these would be filed by separate account from the beginning, but DH pays bills/opens bills and I needed to keep the system simple so he'll use it.

The yearly statements then are kept in a permanent file for IRA/401K/investment statements (So red label). I used the hanging files that are 2" wide, then used file pockets for each account, so a couple of accounts are in each hanging file. DH has had many accounts over the years, so I have a couple hanging files for "Investments - Old Accounts - DH" and one for "Investments - Current Accounts - DH" I only have one hanging file for me as my accounts are all current. My understanding is that you have to keep account history, not just the open accounts, but I could be wrong. I have another file with "Investments - 529" for DS's college account.

Bank statements are electronic. So I don't file these. I might treat them the same, make a hanging file for after months and put them in there, so easier to look through, then you could keep for a year when you swap out monthly files. Or you could file them into the monthly files, they'll still be kept for a year if you empty those out when bring them back into rotation.

I also have a green monthly folder for "Credit Card Statements". We need to keep these for taxes, so I didn't want them in the monthly files, as those are for things I will not be searching through for tax info. They're all just put in together. I rarely need to look at these, so didn't think it was worth to file them separately. Again, I was trying to keep the system simple.

niccig
10-02-2014, 12:42 AM
Niccig

Glad it 's working, I really like this system. Once I worked out how to set it up for us, it was pretty easy going. I did change some things to suit us, namely the medical bills and the IRA/investment accounts, but with the extra labels, it was easy to print matching labels. I also used their ideas for warranties/manuals. These are stored in a different filing cabinet away from the other files, but I used their labels and made some of my own. It's nice to have everything color-coordinated. I'm hoping the transition in January is easy - it sounds like it should be, just swap out the year's monthly and tax files with next year's.

It did take me some time to get our old files into the system. Mostly because I had several years of paperwork to sort through as some needed to be kept, but most of it went into boxes to be shredded.