PDA

View Full Version : 4" shoes I can walk in?

basil
09-10-2014, 06:20 AM
SIL is getting married in a few weeks and I'm a bridesmaid…she requested a long black dress of our choice. I got this Amsale one from Norstrom (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/amsale-draped-neck-jersey-gown/3668967?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=&resultback=558&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_3_B) but it's a little too long. I got these Naturalizer sandals to go, and they're fairly comfortable, but I need another half an inch so that the dress doesn't drag on the ground (http://www.zappos.com/naturalizer-danya-portrait-shiny).

I've tried a few that are labeled 4" heels with 1" platforms but I feel like I'm going to fall over. Anyone know of some 4" shoes that look decent but aren't awful to walk in? I can do any color really (black, nude, metallic, etc.).

MelissaTC
09-10-2014, 08:13 AM
Any chance of getting the dress hemmed a bit so you can wear the shoes you want? I've never had luck with those high shoes.

zukeypur
09-10-2014, 08:16 AM
I can't walk in shoes that high. I think it would be much cheaper to have it hemmed.

gymnbomb
09-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Any chance of getting the dress hemmed a bit so you can wear the shoes you want? I've never had luck with those high shoes.

:yeahthat: There is no way I could walk in 4 inch heels!! I would get comfortable 2-3 inch heels and take them with me to get the dress hemmed. It looks like they won't be seen much with the dress anyway, so why kill your feet?

basil
09-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Because it sounds so so so much easier to order a pair of shoes off Zappos than to find a tailor, do a fitting, drop it off, pick it up, etc...That just seems so overwhelming at this point.

Neatfreak
09-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Darn. I wish that I could magically hem it for you. It's maybe a ten-minute job.

legaleagle
09-10-2014, 10:19 AM
Doesn't Nordstrom do basic alterations for free? Though still have to go there, of course.

basil
09-10-2014, 10:39 AM
I dunno...I thought you had to have a Nordstrom CC, but maybe I'm wrong. In any case, it's not the price, it's the "going there" part that's hard. I don't really have a free second when I'm not working when I'm not caring for both kids in the next 2 weeks.

Blue Hydrangea
09-10-2014, 11:34 AM
I dunno...I thought you had to have a Nordstrom CC, but maybe I'm wrong. In any case, it's not the price, it's the "going there" part that's hard. I don't really have a free second when I'm not working when I'm not caring for both kids in the next 2 weeks.

Ugh, that's tough. I get feeling like you don't have an extra minute to spare, but I can't imagine being miserable in too-tall shoes at my SIL's wedding. Are there are any nearby dry cleaning places that do alterations? It really is a quick job, especially if you just tell them it needs to be hemmed a half-inch shorter, or maybe an inch just to be safe. You shouldn't even need to try it on there. Just drop it off and pick it up.

basil
09-10-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't even know? I've done hems by hand sewing before but this is stretch jersey, and two layers, and the fabric seems quite delicate. It has a very narrow hem at the moment and I am afraid to cut it and ruin it. My mom could do it but she's far away and I don't think I even have time to mail it to her.

I'm serious - the thought of mailing a box or carrying the dress into a store with two kids in tow is really more than I can bear right now. I'd need 4 hands. I'm not sure how other people manage. I guess that's it's own post, but yeah.

basil
09-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Would something like this be awful? In style? They seem to get good reviews on comfort?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kork-ease-hailey-wedge-sandal/3230162?origin=shoppingbag

onyx8
09-10-2014, 11:55 AM
I wear 4 inch heels daily and never had issues walking in them... Do you just not wear heels often? I like Bandolino and Circa by Joan and David for comfort and fit.

basil
09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Not really that often anymore. Especially in the last year since I was pregnant and now often carrying around a baby who I have an exaggerated fear of dropping...
I did for my own wedding and a bunch of other people's weddings subsequently and it was fine then, (gold Manolo Blahniks :love5:) but that was 6 years and 2 babies and 20 pounds ago, and now they don't fit.

rin
09-10-2014, 12:18 PM

If it helps, you don't need a Nordstrom CC; I don't have one, but I've gotten things altered for free there before.

lizzywednesday
09-10-2014, 01:04 PM
Because it sounds so so so much easier to order a pair of shoes off Zappos than to find a tailor, do a fitting, drop it off, pick it up, etc...That just seems so overwhelming at this point.

Take it back to Nordstrom with the shoes you have.

They do alterations and they're not unreasonable. I think it's ~$25 for a basic hem; should take them about a week.

rin
09-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Take it back to Nordstrom with the shoes you have.

They do alterations and they're not unreasonable. I think it's ~$25 for a basic hem; should take them about a week.

I bought a shirt at Nordstrom's last fall, and I had it altered for free; it was a bit too big across the chest, and they brought it in for me. They said it would take an hour; I ended up picking it up the next day since I didn't have time to wait then. Is that not something that they do at all stores, or was it just because I was purchasing the shirt right then and there?

zukeypur
09-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Oh yeah, nordstrom does them for free. As long as you didn't get the item on sale, then they charge you.

HannaAddict
09-11-2014, 01:15 AM
They probably won't do it for free (unless an item designed to be hemmed like inhemmed pants) but they might, and even if they dont do it for free, they have great tailors and are fast and reasonable. Like if you say I need it for tomorrow in an emergency, it will happen. Seriously. I'd strap kids into stroller and bite the bullet bring shoes and have it tailored. They may even be able to ship to your house. My husband has them deliver tailored shirts or suits to his office.

lizzywednesday
09-11-2014, 09:43 AM
I bought a shirt at Nordstrom's last fall, and I had it altered for free; it was a bit too big across the chest, and they brought it in for me. They said it would take an hour; I ended up picking it up the next day since I didn't have time to wait then. Is that not something that they do at all stores, or was it just because I was purchasing the shirt right then and there?

Maybe it's different for things you purchased online - I brought my receipt/packing slip and everything and was still charged.

Or maybe it varies by store? It shouldn't, but you never know.

MMMommy
09-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Definitely bring the dress in to Nordstroms for alterations if you can. I know I would be crying in pain and discomfort if I had to wear 4" heels to a wedding. Since you are in the wedding, I assume it will be a very, very long and involved day for you at the wedding. I think the inconvenience of going back to get it altered is outweighed by the pain for many, many hours at the wedding.