PDA

View Full Version : Everything is non-standard size

niccig
09-10-2014, 05:31 PM
This is a first-world problem. Every time we do work on our house, whatever we need, is non-standard size. Our house is 1940s, well built, but nothing fits or can be easily replaced. This includes windows, doors, space for water heater and furnace, size of of w/m and dryer, size of fridge, and today it's the tile. We had leftover tile and was going to use it for backsplash behind new range. Old range had built in backsplash and OTR microwave, new range does not. Handyman thought it should be easy to find as it's off-white tile. But it's not standard size. He went to a couple of places and couldn't find it, one place could source it but it'll be pricey. We want to redo kitchen one day so I'm not spending big bucks on tile for it now. There is a solution that's good enough, using smaller tile in areas not as visible, but really, can I for just once replace something easily!

Again, totally first world problem.

123LuckyMom
09-10-2014, 06:54 PM
It may be a first world problem, but it sucks when it seems like nothing's easy. Everything takes more time, more energy, more money than it should. I'm sorry.

TwinFoxes
09-10-2014, 07:03 PM
We have had that problem a few times. There were only like 3 dishwashers we could choose from because our counters are at a non-standard height. Luckily one was a Bosch, which is what I wanted, and it's nice. But it does suck. We don't have the "built in the 40s" excuse...I think we have the "our builders were dimwits" excuse. Which explains why every model in our subdivision that has the original kitchen layout have the oven and dishwasher on corners perpendicular to each other, so you can't have them both open at the same time, or reach the stove to stir while you're loading the DW.

Just because it's a first world problem, doesn't mean it's not annoying! :)

AshleyAnn
09-10-2014, 07:40 PM
My house is also 1940s and it seems like houses and the items in them must have grown over the past 70 years. I had to special order my bedroom furniture because I couldn't find appropriately sized dressers for my bedroom. I found a cute couch in a thrift store from the mid 50s I swear its almost miniature compared to the giant lazyboy hand me down sofa I have.

But on the plus side my house is solid as a rock and well made. I wouldn't trade it for 2 slapped together modern construction homes.

niccig
09-10-2014, 08:33 PM
It may be a first world problem, but it sucks when it seems like nothing's easy. Everything takes more time, more energy, more money than it should. I'm sorry.

It's the more time and money...everything is just more difficult and costly. I texted DH that the tile is non-standard size and he replied "of course it is."

We have had that problem a few times. There were only like 3 dishwashers we could choose from because our counters are at a non-standard height. Luckily one was a Bosch, which is what I wanted, and it's nice. But it does suck. We don't have the "built in the 40s" excuse...I think we have the "our builders were dimwits" excuse. Which explains why every model in our subdivision that has the original kitchen layout have the oven and dishwasher on corners perpendicular to each other, so you can't have them both open at the same time, or reach the stove to stir while you're loading the DW.

Just because it's a first world problem, doesn't mean it's not annoying! :)

The dishwasher is the only thing that is standard size! The handyman is cutting down the cabinet above the fridge so we can get a new fridge as current one is 4" shorter than regular size fridge.

But on the plus side my house is solid as a rock and well made. I wouldn't trade it for 2 slapped together modern construction homes.

I have to remind myself of this. All the original parts of the house are rock solid. I just know when we go to work on something the response is "well, it's an upcharge because x and y are non-standard size."

Handyman figured out that we had JUST enough tile by placing broken pieces in certain way so broken part covered by the stove. The backsplash only extends 1.5" below top of stove controls - hope the measurements in the specs are correct and you won't see that it doesn't go all the way to the counter.

BDKmom
09-10-2014, 08:58 PM

OMG! I thought our builders were the only ones stupid enough to do that!! We just did a whole kitchen remodel to correct this problem. Ours were so close together that the dishwasher door actually scraped the handle on the oven door when it was opened. So, we wanted new appliances, but I wasn't going to have them scraping into each other when they were opened. Couldn't update the countertops without figuring out how to move the dishwasher. Basically we had to wait 7 yrs of saving to be able to do anything in our kitchen, because it all had to be done at once.

We had a similar issue in our guest bath...apparently they had the wrong size countertop for our vanity, so they added an extra wood piece to the vanity to make it fit. So, we couldn't replace the countertop with a standard size one from Home Depot, because the floor was half tile, half carpet, and if we took out the extra piece to make the vanity standard size, it left a big gap with no tile on the end. So, to get a new countertop, we had to replace the flooring.

And we don't have the 40's excuse either...our house was built in 1997. Apparently by idiots.

Sorry, niccig. I feel your pain.

hellokitty
09-10-2014, 09:17 PM
We are very familiar with this problem, not only with our previous late 1800's house, but also our currently early 90's house. The only thing that has been standard so far are our windows, but everything else is special or custom order, even our stupid vents are weird sizes.

SnuggleBuggles
09-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Yep. I'd love a new screen door but not a custom sized one!

scrooks
09-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Same problem here with a late 90's house! We are in the process of replacing our back patio door and it's crazy weird size has cost us probably $1k extra!:angry-smiley-005:

AnnieW625
09-10-2014, 09:38 PM
My house was built in 1950 so I feel your pain! It took us two years or so to find a larger fridge that would fit in our space in not break the bank!

kdeunc
09-11-2014, 11:22 AM
100 year old house here...i understand! :)

niccig
09-11-2014, 03:47 PM
So it's not just older homes that have this issue.

The bright side is that the handyman is nearly finished and the new appliances will be delivered tomorrow. Fingers crossed they fit in the spaces we just had adjusted.

I can't believe I'll have a stove and a fridge that isn't 30 years old I've got some grad. school friends younger than my appliances!

niccig
09-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Nooooooooo

The stove doesn't fit. The opening between the cabinets is enough, but the tile counters overhang the cabinet edge just enough that there isn't enough clearance to get the stove in. The specs were off, the stove is 1" wider.

Need handyman to come back. I think he'll have to pop off the tiles by the edge, cut 3/8" off them, then put them back on. This is the tile that we have NO spares. If one breaks, don't have replacement. I'm off to tile store where they were originally bought to see if they can source them...or if someone, somewhere can source them.

And the plug on the stove is upside down to our outlet. The outlet is recessed and the drywall above gets in the way of the cord. I cut away the drywall, but there's a piece of wood in the way still. Handyman has to fix that too.

The water connection to the fridge is leaking at a connection point. I tried to tighten it, but still leaking, so I've shut off the cold water to the fridge and that also shuts off cold water to the sink. I also need that connection point to be on the inside of the cabinet, so the fridge can be pushed up against the cabinet on that side. Need handyman to cut hole in the cabinet.

Fridge is pulled away from the wall and plugged in, so at least I can put the food in the cooler back into it. Stove is in middle of my kitchen unplugged. I have a tiny kitchen with 2 big appliances in the way!! :crying:

123LuckyMom
09-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Oh, Niccig! I'm so sorry! It will all work out. It WILL!

niccig
09-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Oh, Niccig! I'm so sorry! It will all work out. It WILL!

It is. I went to appliance store and got the anti-tip bracket that wasn't included with the stove - it was supposed to be, they said it wasn't, I brought the manual showing the "use the supplied anti-tip bracket..". They found one for me.

Went to tile store previous owner got tile from. I had original box and invoice. My handyman went there on Thursday and was told tile no longer made, can't get it or cost a fortune to source it. I go there, get told same thing and then I ask "Really, there's none anywhere? Any advice you can give me for finding it? I only need a few tiles." Old guy running the store says "Oh..let me look out the back." Sure enough he has a box of the tile buried under other boxes and gave them to me for $10. DH and handyman says it was the female "Really?! Can't you help me?" plea. Handyman says he's sending me in search of things in future.

Handyman ground sides of tiles, didn't chip any and the stove fits in!!! The cooktop is shorter than previous one so we can see mortar under the counter, but going to worry about that later. Think best solution is to put wood under the stove to raise it 1/2". Handyman fixed the outlet so now the plug fits. My outlet was upside down to the plug. Stove is connected!!!

I asked the handyman if he could tighten the connector for the copper line to the fridge, he's now replacing it with flexible hose. I told him he could come back another day to do it. He said he's determined to get it all in tonight. Fridge is now connected.

He came here after another job. I'm so paying him extra. And he will be on my speed dial for help in the future...

BDKmom
09-12-2014, 10:04 PM
So glad he's helping you get it all situated. So frustrating when you think you are nearing the end of a project and ten other things pop up.

oneplustwo
09-12-2014, 10:36 PM
And even better, now you have a go-to handyman you KNOW you can count on!

Our 1950s house is not quite as bad, but there's been a lot of non-standard sizing we've had to deal with.

BDKmom, I'm so sorry, but your post made me laugh at how ludicrous ~ replace flooring in order to have a new countertop?!?

BDKmom
09-13-2014, 12:06 AM
BDKmom, I'm so sorry, but your post made me laugh at how ludicrous ~ replace flooring in order to have a new countertop?!?

Yep. I joke that our house was their practice house. There are three other houses on our street with the same floor plan and none of them have the ridiculous things we have.

niccig
09-13-2014, 12:11 AM
So glad he's helping you get it all situated. So frustrating when you think you are nearing the end of a project and ten other things pop up.

I was ready to cry today. Everything just kept going wrong.

And even better, now you have a go-to handyman you KNOW you can count on!

Yes I do. He was great at working out solutions. Eg. he used the flexible hose that came with the fridge to replace the copper pipe that was leaking and sticking out too far. Now there's no leaks and the fridge is pushed further back to the cabinet. He wasn't going to charge me, said just give me more work. He was here 1.5 hours. I paid him and said I will give him more work and refer him on to other people. I'm already making a list of jobs for him.

DS made the first dinner on the new stove - scrambled eggs!

niccig
09-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Yep. I joke that our house was their practice house. There are three other houses on our street with the same floor plan and none of them have the ridiculous things we have.

Not fair that your house has all the bad luck! I'm pretty sure we'll run into something similar with countertops/flooring etc.