PDA

View Full Version : Natural air fresheners?

TwoBees
09-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Are there any natural air fresheners that work well? I need something for the powder room that also houses the cat's litter box. I previously used Glade Plug-Ins but this bathroom doesn't have an outlet. Since I need to purchase something new, I am researching greener alternatives. I need something that continuously freshens rather than a spray (unless it is an automatic spray). I could do baking soda or vinegar but I would like something with a scent. Maybe a diffuser or potpourri? I'm open to ideas.

Staraglimmer
09-12-2014, 02:55 PM
What about an essential oil diffuser?

lizzywednesday
09-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Litter boxes are tough. I had fairly good luck without air fresheners by (1) always using pan liners, (2) mixing 1/4 box of baking soda into freshly-changed litter, (3) THOROUGHLY scrubbing the litter box with old-fashioned Lysol Concentrate (the stuff in the brown bottle) AND spraying it with Lysol spray at every change, and (4) if I could find the time & intestinal fortitude, scooping solids.

Now, I understand that scooping is both disgusting and time-consuming, but it's going to be the cheapest option.

I admit that my method didn't completely eliminate the pee-stank, but I'm not sure much will. (I don't know if it mattered, but I also had a male cat.)

You could also try one of those solid, tub-style air fresheners, but they REEK in small spaces for the first few weeks ... but, on the bright side, they're effective.

azzeps
09-17-2014, 09:52 PM
I used a paper towel doused with peppermint oil last night to get rid of bacon smell in the kitchen. It worked pretty well. I wonder if you had a little dish or ramekin you could put some drops of oil in if that would work. You'd probably have to replenish every few days. Otherwise, those gel tubs work pretty well. I had one from Amway once upon a time, if you know someone who sells that stuff.