PDA

View Full Version : Laundry: permanent press?

TwoBees
09-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Please help me out here. What is permanent press and when am I supposed to use it? I've been doing laundry for 20 years and realized I don't really know the specifics about permanent press. I typically use the "normal" cycle for all clothes except delicates. DH likes to use perm press for jeans but does not know why.

123LuckyMom
09-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Permanent press has a lighter agitation and spin, so it's for more delicate clothes. Jeans are a tough fabric. They don't need a permanent press cycle.

SnuggleBuggles
09-15-2014, 03:10 PM
My mom taught me that the default for laundry is cold/ cold, permanent press. I mostly still use that. Seems to work. :)

lizzywednesday
09-16-2014, 09:16 AM
I wash everything except bras, swimsuits, sheets, towels, and cloth diapers using the permanent press cycle. For bras, swimsuits, and pantyhose/nylon tights, I use the gentle cycle and mesh bags. For sheets & towels, I have a "cottons/towels" setting on my washer. And for cloth diapers, I have a whole wash routine & system.

Jeans may not "need" perm press, because generally denim is a very tough fabric ... but I wear jeans with a fair percentage of Lycra in the weave, so it seems to prolong the lifespan.

TwoBees
09-18-2014, 09:36 AM
So I guess I should switch to perm press except for towels and sheets? Does it defeat the purpose of perm press if I use a warm wash cycle (I use warm when I use Oxyclean because it activates the powder better than cold water does)?