PDA

View Full Version : Dear Scholastic Books: WHY must you

doberbrat
09-16-2014, 09:06 PM
have so many sets of girls' books with jewelry????

dd1 came home with a list of books she wanted. Just like every other time she brings home a scholastic flyer, I took the list to see which ones are available at our library. Turns out, ALL were. There started the tantrums. Pick another book... yep, available at the library. And another ... library.

She started picking any book w/jewelry - even books she has consistently REFUSED to even try! Finally I said NO books with jewelry. And the screaming started :32:

I dont mind buying books occasionally, but I'm not buying POS jewelry under the pretext of buying books.

On the upside, we now have 15 books on request and I have 5 more to find at the library tomorrow.

elephantmeg
09-17-2014, 07:43 AM
I know! and how many with character sets! sigh.

hellokitty
09-17-2014, 08:41 AM
Request that your school switch to usborne book orders and fairs instead. The books are so much better than scholastic, esp since they don't push chartoon characters and jewelry stuff...

mom2binsd
09-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Most schools get such a great deal and the selection of higher level books that scholastic offers is much more extensive, so I don't see Usborne as an alternative. My DD also gravitated toward those, I'd let her pick one of those once a year and set a limit on cost.. I made the rules clear and was ok with it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

hillview
09-17-2014, 09:34 AM
Request that your school switch to usborne book orders and fairs instead. The books are so much better than scholastic, esp since they don't push chartoon characters and jewelry stuff...
:yeahthat:

Mermaid13
09-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Ugh, I feel for you! My DD circled all these same types of books on her scholastic order! I refused every one since they came with jewelry, pens or some other trinket.

wendibird22
09-17-2014, 11:09 AM
I hear ya. And even worse is the tables upon tables of trinket crap near the cash register and where the PTA helpers help the kids fill out their list. DD comes home with things on her list that aren't even books. No I'm not buying you a pointy finger on a stick or a koosh ball.

Cam&Clay
09-17-2014, 05:21 PM

Scholastic has books at a price point for everyone. And the profit for schools and libraries in unmatched.

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Scholastic has books at a price point for everyone. And the profit for schools and libraries in unmatched.

:yeahthat:

I have run many a Scholastic book fair. They send you all the junky crap but the volunteers/ staff in charge can choose not to put it out. We never did. If a kid had a check and order form for it, we'd dig it out from storage (and cause a mini riot when the other kids saw it). Usborne is so expensive.

keh602
09-17-2014, 07:35 PM
I don't see how Usborne is more expensive than Scholastic, really. Most of the paperback chapter books are $5-6, which is in-line with Scholastic. You can easily pay $15 for a Scholastic hardcover picture book, which is similar to Usborne.

SnuggleBuggles
09-17-2014, 07:44 PM
Scholastic had some $1-3 options. I've never seen Usborne ones like that. I seek out cheap books. My Usborne books haven't been a hit here either so I was put out to spend $10-20/ book. Our Usborne seller didn't have any options under $10.

Green_Tea
09-17-2014, 07:45 PM
I love Usborne books but Scholastic is typically much less expensive. They often have great books for as little as $1-2 dollars.

Tenasparkl
09-17-2014, 08:06 PM
No I'm not buying you a pointy finger on a stick or a koosh ball.

I bought a pointy finger on a stick last year at the book fair and both of my kids adore it. We had one from a learning resources school kit and they always fought over it, so finding another at the book fair was great for us! :)

ett
09-17-2014, 08:50 PM
I don't see how Usborne is more expensive than Scholastic, really. Most of the paperback chapter books are $5-6, which is in-line with Scholastic. You can easily pay $15 for a Scholastic hardcover picture book, which is similar to Usborne.

Scholastic has versions of books for their school flyers and book fairs that are cheaper than if you bought it at a retail store or Amazon. They also have paperback versions of hardcovers that don't sell at retail price elsewhere.

keh602
09-17-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm not anti-character books because I think that whatever gets a kid to read is great, but I agree with the OP that the sets with necklaces and things are annoying. I'd rather spend $10 on 1-2 high-quality Usborne books than a book with a necklace or a diary with a lock (seriously, DD, how many of those do you need??). I don't think we ever leave a Scholastic book fair for less than $40-50.

doberbrat
09-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Scholastic has versions of books for their school flyers and book fairs that are cheaper than if you bought it at a retail store or Amazon. They also have paperback versions of hardcovers that don't sell at retail price elsewhere.

Yup, for instance they have a set of rainbow magic that is 15 w/bracelet and I think it was 25 at amazon w/o bracelet ;)

I think having $1 & $2 books is important at the fair b/c not every family can afford a $10 book or even a $6 book but usually then can find a dollar or 2.

We rarely buy books except at the book fair. I much much prefer to get the books from the library ..... I just wish scholastic didnt sell the 'packages'

egoldber
09-17-2014, 11:19 PM
I feel your pain on this, but I just get over it. Sigh.

We rarely buy books except at the book fair. I much much prefer to get the books from the library

Yes, the only books I really buy are at the school book fairs. Otherwise we tend to use the library very heavily.

Scholastic has great prices for paperback books for advanced readers.

sandwish
09-17-2014, 11:27 PM
I applaud you for putting all the books on hold at the library.

Melaine
09-18-2014, 07:01 AM
I'm a pretty mean mommy....I didn't even look at the flyer, TBH. I said no and my kids were not remotely surprised. We get books for pennies at the thrift stores and yard sales and use the library constantly. We spend way too much on homeschooling to purchase new books when they are available for so much less. I do donate to our "school" (hybrid program) but I'd rather straight up give them the cash.

Gracemom
09-18-2014, 07:49 AM
I tell my kids that I am happy to buy them 3 books each that I approve, and if they want the junkier books or trinkets they can pay for them themselves. This seems to work pretty well for us. I volunteer at our book fair and it makes good money for the school.

klwa
09-18-2014, 08:08 AM
I hate the fact that the jewelry sets are marketed so heavily in the flyers. However, if your teacher has an online account set up, you can order things not on the flyer. A lot of times, they'll have the same book, minus the crappy jewelry for a dollar or two less.

And, I HATE the book fairs in comparison to the flyers. I wish they'd stop the stupid book fair at our school. The multiple tables of junk is SOOOOO annoying.

vonfirmath
09-18-2014, 09:56 AM
I hear ya. And even worse is the tables upon tables of trinket crap near the cash register and where the PTA helpers help the kids fill out their list. DD comes home with things on her list that aren't even books. No I'm not buying you a pointy finger on a stick or a koosh ball.

I'm one of those parent helpers helping the kids find books for their lists.

They aren't allowed to look at non-books for those lists.

This year, though, our fall book fair is next week and I'm glad the bookmarks, at least, are there. I'm stocking up on bookmarks for my son/house because they get lost so often and because this is one way I can support our school library (The bookfair here is for the library in particular. Not the school in general)

Oh, as for book fair vs flyers: The flyers support the teacher. The book fair supports the library.

Cam&Clay
09-18-2014, 11:50 AM
I wish they'd stop the stupid book fair at our school. The multiple tables of junk is SOOOOO annoying.

As a school librarian who gets all of the profit from the Book Fair, I sincerely hope that doesn't happen here. With shrinking school budgets, my Book Fair profits are very helpful. Last year, I bought 12 laptops for the library with Scholastic profits.

wellyes
09-18-2014, 12:15 PM
I agree Usborne is more expensive than Scholastic, but Scholastic has so, so much garbage. I feel like it teaches kids books are disposable.
My PTO recently switched to Book Ends. It's much better. It's regional (Boston) and is out of a local independent store.
http://bookfairsbybookends.com/

klwa
09-18-2014, 01:06 PM
As a school librarian who gets all of the profit from the Book Fair, I sincerely hope that doesn't happen here. With shrinking school budgets, my Book Fair profits are very helpful. Last year, I bought 12 laptops for the library with Scholastic profits.

Oh, I know why they have it, and I make sure to go to the school book fair with my kids to buy as well as sending money in for them to buy when their class goes because I truly want to support the school and I figure books are always a good thing. I just hate the tables of junk.

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Oh, I know why they have it, and I make sure to go to the school book fair with my kids to buy as well as sending money in for them to buy when their class goes because I truly want to support the school and I figure books are always a good thing. I just hate the tables of junk.

But, like I said, they don't have to put those tables out! Be the squeaky wheel and get them to stop or at least think about it.

ett
09-18-2014, 02:26 PM
I agree Usborne is more expensive than Scholastic, but Scholastic has so, so much garbage. I feel like it teaches kids books are disposable.
My PTO recently switched to Book Ends. It's much better. It's regional (Boston) and is out of a local independent store.
http://bookfairsbybookends.com/

That's also who our school uses and it's way better than Scholastic. I was very happy when they switched.

abh5e8
09-18-2014, 02:35 PM
But, like I said, they don't have to put those tables out! Be the squeaky wheel and get them to stop or at least think about it.

but i would guess the profit margin on the trinkets is pretty high, so i'm sure that is why the book fair volunteers/librarians want to put it out. i'm not a fan of peddeling junk to kids, regardless of what the "profits" go to (and i put that in quotes because i'm sure Scholastic has a substantial profit from all of these things).

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2014, 02:54 PM
but i would guess the profit margin on the trinkets is pretty high, so i'm sure that is why the book fair volunteers/librarians want to put it out. i'm not a fan of peddeling junk to kids, regardless of what the "profits" go to (and i put that in quotes because i'm sure Scholastic has a substantial profit from all of these things).

We made plenty without them. I imagine there could be an initial drop the first year but it'd rebound. We never sold the stuff so I don't know how it's pan out.

ahisma
09-18-2014, 03:52 PM
I tell my kids that I am happy to buy them 3 books each that I approve, and if they want the junkier books or trinkets they can pay for them themselves. This seems to work pretty well for us. I volunteer at our book fair and it makes good money for the school.

This is what I do as well. Works great. We also buy a couple for the classroom. No toys from mom, but they can spend their own money if they wish. If they don't like it they can sit in the hallway while their brother picks out his books. That stops the complaining pretty quickly (they know I'd do it - school hallway is safe).

MamaMolly
09-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Lula and I just had that discussion last night. I pointed out how many of her choices had pens, figurines, stickers, or jewelry. So annoying!!

citymama
09-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Sing it, sister! Especially those $&@ Rainbow Magic sets. Apparently Nancy Drew now comes with sunglasses?

sarahsthreads
09-20-2014, 12:14 AM
Sing it, sister! Especially those $&@ Rainbow Magic sets. Apparently Nancy Drew now comes with sunglasses?

Ugh, those Rainbow Magic books are like the literary equivalent of skittles. They literally make my teeth hurt when I have to read them out loud.

I have to fight the "no stuff" battle every time with avid reader DD1 but strangely enough not with book-ambivalent DD2. :shrug: It does seem like the flyers have changed over the past couple of years to REALLY push the bundles and sets and the junk.

My rule at the book fair is that they can buy books, bookmarks, and ONE trinket, which cannot cost more than $3. The way our school handles the "junk" is to only put out bookmarks, writing utensils, erasers, and posters. I'm pretty OK with that selection. The librarian also has a spare change box where if a kid is short less than a dollar (because often they don't take into account the tax when totaling up what they're going to buy) and they're only buying books, we can make up the difference. If they're buying a not-book-thing, they have to put that back so they have enough money.

Honestly, I used to loathe the book fairs, but I helped out at a couple and have seen how much care the librarian puts into what she sets out and how much work she does to try to make sure that every child who walks in walks out with a book that they are excited about reading (yes, even if that particular one came packaged with a junky necklace) and it kind of changed how I feel about them. Of course...now I spend even more, because when there are no kids and I wander around straightening things on the shelves...I also shop. :) But it's pretty much the only time I buy kids books (avid library and kindle users here) and I know it benefits the school, so...

Sarah :)

stillplayswithbarbies
09-21-2014, 12:19 AM
I have a "no toy or jewelry" rule for Scholastic. Unless it is a book in a series she is collecting and plans to keep "forever" and for her children to read someday, here is how we shop the Scholastic flyers. They circle what they are interested in. I check our library and library kindle books and put on hold whatever is available there. Then we check Amazon and order from there if it is cheaper, or Scholastic if it is cheaper there. Each girl has a dollar limit, total. Sometimes they put it on a watch list for the consignment sale instead of buying now at full price.

for the series they collect, if the books we already have are Scholastic, we get the new one from Scholastic. I like them to match on the shelf.

and not to hijack, but how about Kohls with the shirts that come with necklaces? ugh! She will profess to only like the (ugly!) ones that come with necklaces, every time.

klwa
09-22-2014, 08:15 AM
and not to hijack, but how about Kohls with the shirts that come with necklaces? ugh! She will profess to only like the (ugly!) ones that come with necklaces, every time.
:bag Now I'm worried. I got Dniece what I thought was a cute shirt from Kohl's that came with a necklace for her birthday. Hopefully her mom isn't goign to kill me!

egoldber
09-22-2014, 08:51 AM
I guess I just view the Scholastic Book Fair the same as any other fundraiser. I send my kids in with $20 and I don't expect any of it to come back. They usually get 1-2 books (occasionally a set like the Rainbow Magic books) plus a couple trinkets. I also buy a book for the classroom from the teacher's wish list.

I used to feel bad about it until I worked the book fair a couple times. The trinkets do help the kids get excited about books, especially some I can tell are more reluctant readers.

stillplayswithbarbies
09-23-2014, 12:54 AM
:bag Now I'm worried. I got Dniece what I thought was a cute shirt from Kohl's that came with a necklace for her birthday. Hopefully her mom isn't goign to kill me!

It's probably fine. :) But when I am shopping with my daughter and asking her to choose, she will always pick the one that has a necklace and a price jacked up by an extra $10 instead of a cheaper one without a necklace. She claims to not like any of the others, only the necklace ones.

ncat
09-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Our previous school had a local independent bookseller run their book fair for the last few years. We saw it as a 'win' to support both the school and the book store. I have a standing deal with DD and DS1 that I would match their own money for any actual books they'd buy, but not for the trinkets.

rlu
09-25-2014, 02:27 PM
I hate the fact that the jewelry sets are marketed so heavily in the flyers. However, if your teacher has an online account set up, you can order things not on the flyer. A lot of times, they'll have the same book, minus the crappy jewelry for a dollar or two less.

This. DS wanted a book that came with a dog tag, but (like dollar store toys) knew the dog tag was junk so when I found it online without the tag he quickly agreed to get that version (for $3 where the book and tag was $6) instead.

DS is building a library of books he does re-read. As long as it is a series he'll probably re-read I'll buy it. If he thinks it's a one-timer, we get it from the library. We're heavy library users (and borrow heavily from my teacher-librarian sis's personal library, she taught 4th) so he doesn't have a large collection of his "own" books at his reading level. We had so many of the younger kid books thanks to grands but they are uncertain which books will appeal to him, he is much pickier now.