PDA

View Full Version : S/o: how to get vaseline off a couch?

MamaSnoo
09-23-2014, 08:49 AM
We got a lovely new sectional a few months ago (upholstry. not leather). I love it, and spent a little extra because it needed to fit a certain way in my room and the configuration we needed was custom. Of course, we also have a 2 yo :(. I was in the shower the other morning, and he got a tube of Aquaphor and squirted it on the couch. :angry-smiley-005:

I looked online, and tried putting cornstarch on it followed by vacuuming it up. I cannot get it all to vacuum up. Now I have a greasy stain and a bunch of cornstarch on my couch. It looks worse than ever.

Any ideas for what to do at this point?:help:

TIA!

Mamabear4
09-23-2014, 09:56 AM
Following this because our glider had the same issue. I have *unsuccessfully* used cornstarch, baby powder, Folex, and Stanley Steemer. Hope you have better luck than me or that someone has a successful solution!

twowhat?
09-23-2014, 11:28 AM
I would call in a professional for that one! Yikes!!

We got a new upholstered sectional too not long ago for largely the same reason - the one we found fits our space PERFECTLY for our needs. But we also purchased the stain warranty so that I could relax about it:)

I wouldn't try anything else until you get a professional out to look at it!! Some sort of solvent is going to be required to get it out.

lalasmama
09-24-2014, 10:56 PM
I'd go for blue Dawn. It cuts through grease, right? I'd scrub some in with a toothbrush, and then rinse as well as possible... well, okay, really, I'd scrub the Dawn in, and then get my Bissel Little Green Machine for the rinsing part of it.

We did a belly cast on my sister using Vaseline so it didn't stick to her. Her post-casting shower was Dawn, and it all came off. I realize her skin isn't upholstery, but it's made to cut through grease, so that's what I would try.

twowhat?
09-24-2014, 11:16 PM
I'd go for blue Dawn. It cuts through grease, right? I'd scrub some in with a toothbrush, and then rinse as well as possible... well, okay, really, I'd scrub the Dawn in, and then get my Bissel Little Green Machine for the rinsing part of it.

We did a belly cast on my sister using Vaseline so it didn't stick to her. Her post-casting shower was Dawn, and it all came off. I realize her skin isn't upholstery, but it's made to cut through grease, so that's what I would try.

Check your upholstery cleaning code before you try this (you can google this) - you'll need to find a tag or something on your sectional to figure it out. When we bought ours, they gave us a fabric swatch with the cleaning code on the back. Unfortunately, a lot of upholstered furniture cannot be cleaned with plain water. It can cause the fabric to stretch/shrink unevenly, bleed color, etc. And we were told NOT to scrub with a brush - at all! It just grinds the stain into the fabric fibers. Stains should be "lifted" off by blotting, or with a professional machine. Otherwise, yes - Dawn will cut through Vaseline!