PDA

View Full Version : What's Disneyland like in Nov/Dec?

ExcitedMamma
09-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Just found out that DH will have a work conference in So. Cal. at the beginning of December. I'm debating if we should try to add on a Disney trip before or after. Would the weekends be packed or since it's before school gets out will there be too many crowds? How are prices? Will hotels already be booked up? Would it be crazy crowded and expensive to go for Thanksgiving? Should we try the weekend after? I'd love to see the Christmas decorations but I'm guessing that's makes it a more popular time?

We went in October of 2013 so I think it would be fun to go again and a lot easier with DD older. Any recommendations on where to stay? Thanks!

sariana
09-25-2014, 07:23 PM
I have HEARD that the first Sunday in December tends to be less crowded than other weekends in that time frame, but I cannot personally vouch for that information. It probably also depends on how many weekends fall between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

lalasmama
09-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Just found out that DH will have a work conference in So. Cal. at the beginning of December. I'm debating if we should try to add on a Disney trip before or after.

December is a great time to go! (I'll admit I'm jealous, as I really wanted to go this December!)

Would the weekends be packed or since it's before school gets out will there be too many crowds?

The first weekend in December will be a bit busier because of the Candlelight Processional. Other than that, though, crowds are generally lowest at the first or second weeks of December, because as you said, it's before school gets out, there's no holidays, and people are (generally) waiting for Christmas break to go to Disneyland, or to surprise their kids with a DL trip.

How are prices?

The longer you wait, the more expensive things are going to get. Some things to think about, since I'm not sure exactly what week/weekend you are looking at: (1) If you go Thanksgiving weekend, it's going to be a crazy madhouse. Flights are more expensive, hotels are more expensive. (2) If you are looking at the first weekend in December, things are a little more expensive, but not as expensive as 2 weeks later!

Will hotels already be booked up?

This all depends on what/where you are looking to stay, and how much you are willing to spend ;) For the right amount of money, Disneyland Hotels can *always* find you a room, but it may not be in the financial area you were hoping! That being said, yes, there's still plenty of hotel rooms, both on-site and off-site for that time frame. If you have an idea of dates, I'd personally reserve the room ASAP!

Would it be crazy crowded and expensive to go for Thanksgiving?

As noted above, things are going to be more expensive around Thanksgiving... And since that's often a whole week off from school now, Thanksgiving at Disneyland is turning into a popular event! It's in the Top 5 (at #5) for the busiest days in Disneyland.

Should we try the weekend after?

That's when I had planned to go. It will be busy because of the Candlelight Processional, but not as busy as Thanksgiving.

I'd love to see the Christmas decorations but I'm guessing that's makes it a more popular time?

There's some Christmas décor up already (Haunted Mansion is now The Nightmare Before Christmas for example). More will come in the days right after Halloween. They don't wait until December to decorate! It's definitely a popular time in general, but that first weekend in December shouldn't be as bad as Thanksgiving, or as bad as waiting until Christmas break!

We went in October of 2013 so I think it would be fun to go again and a lot easier with DD older.
Going at almost 5yo and at 2y3m is definitely a great time! They are still so amazed at all the magic, believe in all the characters, find joy in all the little things, and yet, they don't eat as often, they don't require as many diaper changes, and they can handle a line (a little!) better!

Any recommendations on where to stay? Thanks!
We stay off-site, either at Park Vue Inn, or Desert Inn and Suites. Both of these are very basic motels. I'd stay on-site if we had the finances for it, but we don't, and honestly, the off-site hotels are as close (or closer!) to the front gates than the on-site hotels anyway. If you give me an idea of what you find most valuable/important in lodging, I can probably recommend some places to look at.

ExcitedMamma
09-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Thank you so much for all the info!! It's not looking good to find hotels so far it looks like everything is pretty booked up. I have no idea what the candlelight processional is, but that's less crowded than going for the thanksgiving weekend? DH has his conference M-F after Thanksgiving so it would be an add on to a weekend before or after. As far as hotel just looking to be close, safe, clean, quiet and comfortable beds.

Would it be impossible to take the kids by myself? The conference for DH is in Newport so I was thinking I could drive over for day trips but I don't think I can go on rides with both kids, right? I think last year when DD was only one they still made her have her own seat so no chance she could be on my lap right? I don't think I'd be comfortable with DS alone on a ride.

elektra
09-26-2014, 01:02 PM
I would totally just stay in Newport and drive over. I think some of the hotels even have DL shuttles- something to ask about, and it would be easier than parking and taking the bus over.
I think the first week in December would be great. We try to do a night when all the Christmas decorations are up, some time in November or December. I would not do Thanksgiving weekend or closer to actual Christmas Day due to the insane crowds at those times.

lalasmama
09-26-2014, 11:47 PM
Thank you so much for all the info!! It's not looking good to find hotels so far it looks like everything is pretty booked up.

Do you have any requirements for rooms, as far as suites vs rooms? Quick search found that Park Vue Inn (across the street from pedestrian entrance, newly updated, full hot breakfast) has a 2 queen room for $149/night the first weekend of December. Site: parkvueinn.com . All 3 Disneyland hotels have rooms, for between $458-584 for the same weekend. Disneyland.com . Red Lion Maingate $276. Portofina $316. Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort $328. Those are all from getawaytoday.com . I believe all of these motels/hotels are within walking distance, but I'm not 100% sure about the Red Lion. We stay at Park Vue Inn and *love* it.

I have no idea what the candlelight processional is, but that's less crowded than going for the thanksgiving weekend?

Yes, it's less busy than at Thanksgiving. People come from further away for the Thanksgiving break--especially when you consider this could be 2 weekends and a whole week off from school. So, you have people willing to come from further away for what could be a 9-day vacation for them, along with the locals that are out of school for the majority of the week. Candlelight Processional is just a 2-night event (typically 2 nights) where they do some special readings and have a... candle light procession down Main Street, I believe. I haven't been there to see it yet. It makes things busier, but not super bad.

DH has his conference M-F after Thanksgiving so it would be an add on to a weekend before or after.
Obviously, my suggestion would be the weekend after! DH and SIL have talked about doing a family trip to DL for Thanksgiving... It may be the only time I have ever said "no way in h#ll" to a trip to DL!

As far as hotel just looking to be close, safe, clean, quiet and comfortable beds.
I've only stayed in a few hotels in the Disneyland area... Over and over, I talk about my love of Park Vue Inn. See the reasons above :) They also have big towels in the rooms (I'm only a size 18, but that's big enough to appreciate big towels!). It's across the street from the pedestrian entrance, which means there is *always* a crowd you'll be walking in (safety in numbers!). The suite we stayed in passed my white sock test all 4 nights. (The Jacuzzi room didn't pass it, but that may have been an off day.) Quiet is all in the eye of the beholder--I'm at Disneyland, I expect to hear kids and families getting ready to go in the morning, but I've never had extreme noise issues there. DD is a light sleeper, and could sleep there without a problem. The beds are *very* comfy--firm, but not hard, with a pillow top. I've also stayed at Desert Inn and Suites (next door to Park Vue). Desert Inn wins in the price category (usually about 50% of what Park Vue charges), but the rooms seem older, smaller, the towels are tiny and scratchy, and the beds... Holy cow, the first night I considered sleeping on the floor to have a softer surface! But, Desert Inn is also close to the pedestrian entrance, and it's clean. I've also stayed at the Super 8 on Katella. It's clean and safe, but a 15-minute walk, and I had noisy, drunk neighbors once that woke DD and I up at 2am. Disneyland isn't the happiest place on earth if your drunk neighbors can't figure out a keycard at that hour! Beds are comfortable there.

Would it be impossible to take the kids by myself?
IMO, it's totally do-able. I assume you take them out and about day to day around town, right? Disneyland isn't much different, assuming you can handle them and a stroller!

The conference for DH is in Newport so I was thinking I could drive over for day trips but I don't think I can go on rides with both kids, right? I think last year when DD was only one they still made her have her own seat so no chance she could be on my lap right? I don't think I'd be comfortable with DS alone on a ride.
You will be able to go on most (all?) the age/size-appropriate rides all in 1 ride vehicle. Now, that may mean that DS needs to sit in the row ahead of you (thinking Fantasyland rides, where often 2 can fit in the front row, or 3 in the back, but you'd be within arm's reach of DS the whole time), but they will never send him in a vehicle without you. They still don't allow lap-seating. On several rides (off the top of my head: Pirates, It's a Small World, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Storybook Canal, Casey Jr., Ariel, many Bugs Land rides), you'll all be sitting right next to each other, because it's bench seating. If DS is a thrill-seeker, and over 40", I'd consider taking DH at least one day as well, so you and DH can trade off on kid-duty, and ride the big-kid rides with DS--like Cars Land, Indiana Jones--and do the "game rides" (Buzz, Toy Story) so that everyone gets to have turns "shooting." As far as driving from Newport and doing day trips, that's a great idea that could definitely work. Google maps says it's about 20 miles. You'd have to deal with parking (currently $18/day, I believe, unless you have an annual pass), but a few days of parking is a lot cheaper than 2-3 nights in a hotel! Also, since DH is at a conference, you might want to have him ask about "Twilight tickets"--these are discounted tickets only good for a few hours each night--but that would allow DH to join you in the evenings if he would like that. The conference may also have discounted day tickets as well! Always worth asking about!

ckso
09-30-2014, 05:22 AM
I think it's totally doable to take your kids by yourself. I took my kids (also 2 and 5) by myself for the first time back in June and it was easier than I thought. A lot of rides fit all 3 of us plus I made sure to do a couple of shows so we can just sit and chill

AnnieW625
10-13-2014, 12:12 PM
I have been a few times the day before thanksgiving and it has been fine. I don't believe we have ever been in early December, but I would go before the 15th, which is your plan. It is fun to see the park decorated for Christmas.

I agree that I would just stay at the same hotel in Newport. If you are driving your own car be sure to buy your tickets at AAA as you get free parking when doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk