PDA

View Full Version : 3rd grade school bitch...........cut the drama parents.....

AnnieW625
09-28-2014, 10:36 AM
So Dd1 has the new teacher in the school again (3rd yr. in a row) and the parents are complaining and I am sick and tired of the parents complaining and expecting the worst. I know that kids all have different issues and so far my rule follower Dd1 hasn't had any issues except a few unsigned reading logs so that equals two notes home (if she gets more than 3 it effects her grade, which she is aware of). The parents say she is too strict, she doesn't communicate well (I think she might be too much of a straight shooter and that pisses people off), she isn't flexible for meetings (will meet in the AM for 10-15 mins. before school and anytime after school), she can't answer all emails after 5 pm (she is completing her masters degree, and has a 1 yr. old... I do give her credit for admitting that up front) and the parents say the kids say she gets mad a lot, but Dd1 hasn't said anything or told me that she gets mad too much or that she thinks she is too strict, but Dd1 said yesterday that she spends too much time on stuff that wasn't completed properly like forgetting to put names on homework. Dd1's class is a challenging bunch and most parents admit that, but seriously I don't think I am going to survive another 8 months of this drama.

And to make matters worse there are parents who aren't happy with the daycare change of leadership either and are looking for other options like class moms taking their kids home for them (paying them) and that would mean that DD1 is going to incessantly complain that she doesn't like going to daycare, but it is her only option because on a full time basis I can't afford a nanny and would rather have the structure that aftercare provides (mandatory homework room or library time), but if her two other friends are getting out of it she will want to.

georgiegirl
09-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Sorry aBout that. With private school, parents probably feel the right to complain more.

MamaMolly
09-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Wait...she meets before school for a set time, she meets after school any time. So what inflexibility are they complaining about? She is actually wanting to be with her students during the school day and not meeting with parents? There's a shocker. Sounds to me like she's being very, very reasonable. Plus getting her masters PLUS the baby? Holy moly they are pushy! I'd believe she's vying for sainthood, maybe. But inflexible? NO, sorry, can't swallow that one.

boolady
09-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Well, I'm not a huge fan of mandatory reading logs, but am I reading correctly that your DD's grade is impacted if you forget to sign off on her reading three times?

TwinFoxes
09-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Well, I'm not a huge fan of mandatory reading logs, but am I reading correctly that your DD's grade is impacted if you forget to sign off on her reading three times?

I was wondering that too. She gets penalized if you forget? That kind of seems unfair.

KrisM
09-29-2014, 08:21 AM
I was wondering that too. She gets penalized if you forget? That kind of seems unfair.

I'm sure it's the student is supposed to ask the parent to sign it, rather than the parent should remember to sign it. My kids don't get penalized, but we were told it's up to them to remember, rather than us to remember to ask.

I wouldn't want them penalized for not remembering to ask me to sign it though.

georgiegirl
09-29-2014, 09:47 AM

I agree that it's ridiculous! Fortunately at our school, we have standards based grading, so unless one of the standards is "pestering parents to sign reading log," it couldn't impact DD's "grade."

AnnieW625
09-29-2014, 10:02 AM
She forgot to bring them home twice (but didn't get penalized until she had missed the 2nd time) last Wednesday I wasn't feeling well, but knew she read and forgot to sign and she didn't recheck her work. Her teacher said I could write a note on the note sent home explaining that, which I did.

MamaMolly I agree with you but the parents who complained complained that she couldn't meet before 7:30 because ....... wait..... she couldn't possibly need the time before school to prep her classroom, which is what she told us, right? They simply think she has taken too much on with the masters degree (which will be completed in the spring 2015), and a small child. It is hard to be critical of my friends who are saying these things about the teacher, but not all teachers are single and or have no children and have endless hours to prep. the classroom.

NCGrandma
09-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Each time I see this thread, I think that "3rd grade school bitch" refers to a particularly unpleasant 3rd grader...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

wendibird22
09-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Um, I'd ask those parents if they are employed if they'd be willing to meet with their boss/clients before 7:30am or after 5:00pm. I'm pretty sure I know what their answer would be because it would be my answer too....heck no! Sorry but schools are not 24-7 after hours clinics. They are entitled to work-life boundaries just like the rest of us. And I'd never criticize a teacher who is further her education cause um, isn't that good news for the kids she's teaching???

HannaAddict
09-29-2014, 10:00 PM
Um, I'd ask those parents if they are employed if they'd be willing to meet with their boss/clients before 7:30am or after 5:00pm. I'm pretty sure I know what their answer would be because it would be my answer too....heck no! Sorry but schools are not 24-7 after hours clinics. They are entitled to work-life boundaries just like the rest of us. And I'd never criticize a teacher who is further her education cause um, isn't that good news for the kids she's teaching???

Yes yes to all of the above. What the bleep is wrong with parents? I have said it before and here goes again, I could not be a teacher and deal with the parents insane expectations and constant criticisms and second guessing of any and all decisions. Not just private school as evidenced by this and our local neighborhood list serve. Hang in there!

TwinFoxes
09-29-2014, 10:01 PM
I'm sure it's the student is supposed to ask the parent to sign it, rather than the parent should remember to sign it. My kids don't get penalized, but we were told it's up to them to remember, rather than us to remember to ask.

I wouldn't want them penalized for not remembering to ask me to sign it though.

But what about kids with flakey parents? Are the kids just supposed to harangue them? I feel bad for kids whose parents are not very responsible. But maybe exceptions are made if the teacher knows the kid is doing their best.

KrisM
09-29-2014, 10:16 PM
But what about kids with flakey parents? Are the kids just supposed to harangue them? I feel bad for kids whose parents are not very responsible. But maybe exceptions are made if the teacher knows the kid is doing their best.

Yeah, I don't know. I just initialed 4 days for DD this morning. We just forgot. I try to help them remember, but they read in bed at night, so it's the next morning. No penalties for us though - we are just supposed to see the minutes they are writing so they get done what they need.

PZMommy
09-30-2014, 12:00 AM

Exactly! My teaching contract says I need to be available from 7:45 until 2:40 (our school day is 8-2:30). Obviously most teachers are there far beyond those hours. But so many parents expect us to be available 24/7, and we have lives outside of school. I have similar hours as this teacher. I will meet with parents either at 7:35ish, or right after school. I make it very clear I do not check my work email at home, as I don't have access to it unless I am at a school computer. Part of me is glad I work in a low income area as most parents are just grateful for anything we do for their kids and aren't too demanding. Every year we have a parent or two who thinks the school revolves around them and their kids.

SnuggleBuggles
09-30-2014, 07:46 AM
Exactly! My teaching contract says I need to be available from 7:45 until 2:40 (our school day is 8-2:30). Obviously most teachers are there far beyond those hours. But so many parents expect us to be available 24/7, and we have lives outside of school. I have similar hours as this teacher. I will meet with parents either at 7:35ish, or right after school. I make it very clear I do not check my work email at home, as I don't have access to it unless I am at a school computer. Part of me is glad I work in a low income area as most parents are just grateful for anything we do for their kids and aren't too demanding. Every year we have a parent or two who thinks the school revolves around them and their kids.

But, when do you check your email then and have time to reply to it? If all you have is when the kids are in your class, how does that work? Sorry to derail. I expect a reply within 24hrs, per our school handbook, but I usually get them almost immediately even in the evening. Our school uses gmail so easily accessible, no school computer required.

PZMommy
09-30-2014, 09:38 AM
But, when do you check your email then and have time to reply to it? If all you have is when the kids are in your class, how does that work? Sorry to derail. I expect a reply within 24hrs, per our school handbook, but I usually get them almost immediately even in the evening. Our school uses gmail so easily accessible, no school computer required.

I work in an area where most families don't have computers at home. We rarely get emails from parents. They typically call the school and leave a message or stop by after school. I check my email when I get to work in the morning. If I have anything to respond to, I do it at my lunch time. We have no policy at to how fast we need to respond to messages, but every teacher I know tends to respond the same day to phone messages and the rare email.

egoldber
09-30-2014, 11:26 AM
I do feel for teachers when it comes to meetings. For me, a meeting at school means I have to take time off work. To meet after school, I have to take half a day off work. My job is flexible enough that I can do that, but a lot of working parents don't have that flexibility.

I am grateful that many of our teachers offer conferences at times like 4, 4:30, and 5. (School is over at 3, and I'm pretty sure their contract hours stop at 3:30.) I suspect that is extra time they likely are not getting paid for.

But what about kids with flakey parents? Are the kids just supposed to harangue them? I feel bad for kids whose parents are not very responsible.

I definitely feel bad for these kids.

SnuggleBuggles
09-30-2014, 11:41 AM
I work in an area where most families don't have computers at home. We rarely get emails from parents. They typically call the school and leave a message or stop by after school. I check my email when I get to work in the morning. If I have anything to respond to, I do it at my lunch time. We have no policy at to how fast we need to respond to messages, but every teacher I know tends to respond the same day to phone messages and the rare email.

Makes sense.

PZMommy
09-30-2014, 01:05 PM
I wanted to add, that in some cases when I know the parent mainly wants to communicate by email, once I make sure they are okay, I will give them my personal email so I can respond easier. For example I had a student last year whose parents were both deaf. I gave them my personal email and my text number as it was easier. Every so often I get parents that both work and may not be able to make phone calls during school hours, so I do try to be flexible with that when need be.

I do get it is hard for parents to take off for meetings as I have the same issue. I can't take a half day, so if I have to attend a meeting I need to be out all day and then we get in trouble for missing work. I have my own son attending my school mainly for the convience factor. I would never get to be a part of any of his school events if he attended our home school. My youngest is in preschool, and I have to pick and choose what I can go to.